Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smoking Chum: Doe vs. Buck  (Read 7072 times)

Kever

Smoking Chum: Doe vs. Buck
« on: October 19, 2015, 02:11:10 PM »

The fellow at Wholesale Sports who sold me my smoker said that I should only retain Doe chum, as they smoke up better than males. Is there any validity to this claim?

Tangles

Re: Smoking Chum: Doe vs. Buck
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 02:35:12 PM »

It's actually the opposite - females expend more nutrients and fat during the egg formation which in return makes their meat drier with less flavor. Same is in charge for all salmon species, but the problem with chum is that bucks deteriorate faster and as far as the Fraser system goes they are mostly past their due date by the time they show up. I only remember of one male that I ever bonked locally and it was the cleanest I've seen, females on the other hand I manage to pick 2-5 clean fish per year.

Kever

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 05:48:13 PM »

It's actually the opposite - females expend more nutrients and fat during the egg formation which in return makes their meat drier with less flavor. Same is in charge for all salmon species, but the problem with chum is that bucks deteriorate faster and as far as the Fraser system goes they are mostly past their due date by the time they show up. I only remember of one male that I ever bonked locally and it was the cleanest I've seen, females on the other hand I manage to pick 2-5 clean fish per year.

Thanks Tangles. This info is in line with what I expected. Makes me regret releasing that large silverish male last week!

Old Blue

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 06:15:39 PM »

X2 on males.....way better meat.  Too many doe's get bonked just for their roe too

Animal Chin

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 10:04:32 PM »

X3 Males are much better table fare/smoker fare. Especially pinks. I found a slightly duller male better than a lot of the nickel chrome females.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 12:41:39 PM »

X3 Males are much better table fare/smoker fare. Especially pinks. I found a slightly duller male better than a lot of the nickel chrome females.

X4

That's the reason I don't bonk does UNLESS I am craving ikura/caviar - which doesn't happen too often.