Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River questions...  (Read 12310 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Fraser River questions...
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:35:52 AM »

Hi,

My GF has taken an interest in fishing. However, she is reluctant to layout the moolah for waders as of yet. Can anyone recommend a place to fish on the Fraser that will work well for basically a total noob with only gumboots? Hopefully, we're after coho...

I've read about all the spots in Rodney's articles, but I'm not sure about the actual geography, or what spot might be more suitable that others for someone with no waders. She'll be spin casting, but I'd like to try flyfishing as well as spin casting and drifting.

Also, is there a baitban presently? I found the regs a little confusing with all the different breakdowns of the locations.

Any tips would be appreciated.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Fraser River questions...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 12:00:24 PM »

where are you interested in fishing? For coho stay downstream of the Harrison. Lots of good spots from Mission on down to Richmond. My favourites are Duncan Bar (most upstrea bar in Glen Valley Park and the south shore bar below the Mission Bridge The bait ban is now off in this section but you need a tidal water (federal) license. Some streams offer bank fishing and don't require waders but people like me don't identify them on line.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 12:28:19 PM »

Thanks!

Not interested in any particular place especially, so much as the geography for being able to fish effectively without waders. Glenn Valley Park looks good, so I guess we'll try that. Just looking for a spot where my lady can fish and have it not suck for her, so that perhaps she'll take a greater interest and potentially commit to getting all the Stuff needed.

We have all licenses needed.

I get that you don't wanna divvy your honey hole online...I expect that the park with a few bars to try and washroom facilities might make for an enjoyable introduction...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 12:43:39 PM »

Matsqui Trail Regional Park just down from the Mission/Abbotsford Bridge is a good one to try. There are clean washrooms there close to the beach. You only need gum boots to fish there. One thing to note is that the bottom is quite snaggy and not ideal for bar fishing IMO, best to just cast and retrieve lures, which work great for coho.

The bars at Glen Valley are productive but no washrooms there, however your vehicle is directly behind where you are fishing so you have convenient access to it if you need to drive somewhere fast. Bar fishing is better here because of the snag-less bottom but I've done just as well by casting lures.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 12:54:52 PM »

Matsqui Trail Regional Park just down from the Mission/Abbotsford Bridge is a good one to try. There are clean washrooms there close to the beach. You only need gum boots to fish there. One thing to note is that the bottom is quite snaggy and not ideal for bar fishing IMO, best to just cast and retrieve lures, which work great for coho.

The bars at Glen Valley are productive but no washrooms there, however your vehicle is directly behind where you are fishing so you have convenient access to it if you need to drive somewhere fast. Bar fishing is better here because of the snag-less bottom but I've done just as well by casting lures.

There IS washrooms (OK porta-potty) just inside the gate of Two Bit Bar......
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 01:41:42 PM »

Thanks folks, love this place!

Is there enough current there to drift roe?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 01:56:15 PM »

there are porta potties at Duncan as well. Parking is a bit dicey there. I haven't done any bar fishing at Mission for many years but it's snaggy in the upper section with a more classic fine sand bar below with few snags.

Derby Reach is another bar with facilities where you don't need waders.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 04:13:04 PM »

Thanks!

I read that one needs to add 3 hours to the Vancouver tide chart. Does that mean that if the Vancouver high tide chart says noon, it'll be at 3:00 in Mission? Seems like an obvious question, but I like to doublecheck stuff...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 04:20:51 PM »

1) The tactic used to catch salmon in the Tidal Fraser River is different to what you would use in a stream where fish are holding in runs. The Tidal Fraser River is like a migratory corridor, fish are constantly travelling upstream with the incoming tide. You are fishing one spot and hoping to intercept fish, so the best way is to anchor your bait on the bottom and wait for fish to swim by, and hopefully they'll follow the scent of your bait and bite it. The other option is to repeatedly cast and retrieve a lure at the same spot, eventually fish will swim by at the exact same time when your lure is going by.

2) 3 hours is the rough estimated delay to the Vancouver tide, but yes you add the three hours to get the tide schedule for Mission.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 04:43:17 PM »

You could also look at the hydrometric data and how it coincides to the tide on a given day.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 05:02:44 PM »

Thanks folks!

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 05:39:01 PM »

If fly fishing, would you recommend a floating or sinking line? What is the water depth?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 06:47:36 PM »

Poplar Bar (middle one in Glen Valley) also has washroom, so it sounds like they all do there.  You also do not need waders there, especially at low tide when bar is fully exposed.
Not all those who wander are lost

TimL

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 07:04:14 PM »

I was out bar fishing in the Glen Valley area earlier today (Poplar Bar). It is quite shallow on the sand bar..best to fish when the tide is going out and the sand bar exposed- you can more easily access the deeper spots where the fish hold when the tide is low.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 07:17:39 PM »

Gonna make a day of it, so we'll hit both high and low...