Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hiking to quiet spots on the Vedder?  (Read 14091 times)

CHaddon

Re: Hiking to quiet spots on the Vedder?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 02:57:08 PM »

I've been searching for a quiet spot in the lower mainland, however, I also want to legally retain the fish I catch. I don't think I'm alone here but the Vedder has the most relaxed regulations which i think contributes to the crowds.

Squamish river only allows retention of (I think) 1 hatchery Coho per day and nothing else.

If the regulations were more standardized it might serve to spread the crowds out a little bit.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 03:00:00 PM »

Not every river has the same return and the same numbers. Can't generalize retention quotas on rivers that need help (limited retention or zero retention). Otherwise, our kids and their kids won't have anywhere to fish.

CHaddon

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 03:06:06 PM »

Don't get me wrong. I think limits are extremely important and I wholly support the conservation decisions.

By "standardize" I mean taking the lowest or near-lowest and applying that across the regional rivers so there's no added incentive for people to hammer a specific river year after year and fish it into oblivion.

The Chilliwack/Vedder River has much higher limits than pretty much all of the alternate choices in the region so I think it's reasonable to assume that it, in turn, brings more fishermen.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 03:13:49 PM »

Ahh okay. Thanks to clarify haha. You never know. Some people's idea of standardize, would be to make them all like the Vedder... Not plausible!

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 08:31:33 PM »

Put your time in and learn the river as I have and many others on this forum long before there was the Internet.  There are less traveled areas of the Vedd to fish, but make no mistake, every inch of it gets fished on any given day.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 08:21:44 AM »

The Vedder has higher limits because it has a large and healthy hatchery program, which other streams do not, so it can offer more retention.  However, while I agree that lower limits there may deter small group from driving the extra distance if they couldn't keep more than they could on their smaller local stream, I think many still would go there as they feel the chance for success is greater when the river has more fish returning.  There will always be crowds as long as the hatchery keeps producing fish to catch.

As for your original question. The answer is, yes. Yes, higher water will spread the crowd out more. Yes, you could, in the meantime, hike more or join the crowds.  After my only visit to the system this fall, I would not bet on your success of finding any water without someone already there, but you may only have to share with one or two guys as I did.  Yes, you could shorten up your float and fish the water no one else is, you may get lucky.

And if you really want to experience frustration of trying to find fishable water without guys already fishing it, take up fly fishing.  Your fishable water is reduced to a fraction and every piece of frog water has two or three guys already there.  If you want quiet enjoyment there are other systems with fish to catch.  You many not be able to kill as many as the Vedder, but honestly who needs a freezer full?  I prefer fresh caught, and if I wanted frozen salmon the store is five minutes away and cheaper (no gas).
Not all those who wander are lost

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2015, 08:26:07 AM »

The Chilliwack/Vedder River has much higher limits than pretty much all of the alternate choices in the region so I think it's reasonable to assume that it, in turn, brings more fishermen.

That and the fact it has some of the easiest access to fish a decent river.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2015, 09:26:20 AM »

Boy oh boy some folks took liberty with what I posted!

Perhaps instead of the word QUIT I should have instead used words and phrases like: stop for a bit, slow down, don't over think it, go play with the puppies.

In all honesty if you're getting frustrated with your intended results I want you to quit.

I did not say give up fishing!
frustrated anglers (particularly new anglers) tend to resort to tactics that are either illegal or unethical
(rippin' grippen and snaggin')
because... well.. the tug is the drug for most of us.
For some it's the focus for others it's the bonus.

Now!
when I respond to posts I do offer up info, ideas and opinions
THAT IS WHAT A FORUM IS FOR!

Agree or disagree but tone is difficult to express but easily misinterpreted.
(unless you use terms like sanctimonious or pissed on corn flakes)

I will not openly discuss certain things or specific areas on an open forum.
Most of us don`t know each other and ones sincerity is always a question.
However, meet me on the river and if you`re sincere i`ll help if I can.
( I think I give away more jigs, floats and leaders than I actually lose)

OPEN FORUM: a forum that is is open to all whether one is a member or not.
This is not a private conversation!

When I do respond I am often responding not only to the OP but am makeing a general statement, because if you`re not aware...
there are a heck of a lot more folks (good and evil) viewing these conversations than just the members.

No one pissed on my corn flakes however it seems someone didnt read the label well enough when they poured some on theirs`.

Sanctimonious: that`s a big word

image: http://cf.ydcdn.net/1.0.1.42/images/dictionaries/websters5.jpg

pretending to be holy or pious; affecting sanctity
self-righteous, smug, etc.
Origin of sanctimonious
; from sanctimony + -ous

Hiking to quiet spots on the Vedder?
This was the cryptic title for the thread.
with the opening paragraph referring to a couple weeks of fishing and exploring the Veddar and not being able to find a quite place.
(How many trips was that 2, 5, 14)
I went fishing over the last 4 weeks and had a few good days with some exploring in between and often had entire runs all to myself.

I also reccommend, that if you do find your quite place, whether it be a section of a river or a different river altogether that you keep it to yourself.
One Veddar is enough.

I realize I probably know the river better than some but please note: if you`re PARKING WHERE A BUNCH OF CARS ARE PARKED you probably won`t find quite
 however those cars are parked there for a reason

As for low water limiting the fishable water:
It might shrink up some runs making less real estate for those that like to fish shoulder to shoulder
but it also opens up a bunch of places one couldn`t normally wade to.

As for the fishing, there`s so much to learn, so many variables.
Learn to fish low water, high water, dirty water,..  but, unfortunately it all takes time and even if the perfect book was written you`d still have to get out there to actually learn.
Be a fair weather angler and only fish sunny days during peak season where you find a rock and cast.
Or suffer through a season or two of paying attention and learning when you can`t find a rock.
I like to avoid the crowds and spend a lot of time hiking, sometimes the fishing is awesome, sometimes it`s just a hike.

Good luck (who`d I piss off this time :o)

fisherforever

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2015, 09:34:53 AM »

Great post FOCB! I'm of the opinion get out there and fish. It's the only way one will learn. Too many expect instant gratification from the internet.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2015, 09:46:47 AM »

That's actually a really good point about lower water making some runs become available for wading. That's definitely happened for me.

Old Blue

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2015, 09:51:42 AM »

Markyboy you've taken the first step in the right direction by taking the time to search out an area on your own and get away from the crowds. 
As you've said you didn't really find many productive holes except for the occasional rock.  How will it look at higher water (only one way to know for sure  :) ) Keep on moving now that you've eliminated an area.
Invest in 3 days to check out 3-4 different areas per trip to fish through runs quickly and move on to the next.  You may catch fish, you may not but make notes about each area and the number of "productive looking" runs even if it's a small deeper hole that may hold fish.  Always wear good polarized glasses, you will be amazed.

After those few days you should be able to have your own pieces of serenity on a gong show river.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2015, 01:10:04 PM »

In your explorations, mark those locations that appear marginal at lower water. Old Blue is bang on. Water that is marginal at a lower level can turn into a sweet piece of soft water off the main current in higher water. Happened to me twice last year. In higher water one spot held jig hungry coho and the other held roe hungry chum, whereas in lower water both spots were empty.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:14:15 PM by clarki »

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2015, 02:59:31 PM »

Well, all I have to say is who cares about being part of that mythical 10%.  Being out doing this beats being at work any day of the week  :)

96XJ

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2015, 05:37:15 PM »

Maybe your first post was a little "rough" FOCB , but cleared up nicely on the second post , unfortunately (or fortunately ) recon is essential to fishing , when you are out looking for fishy spots if you are lucky some of the good guys on the river will help , but you still have to get out there

mko72

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2015, 05:46:15 PM »

Another question about this system that might draw some ire:

I'm unclear where the band land is, if at all.  I've been to the Tzeachten website, plus Stolo and Squiala but there's no maps.

As an example there's this one for Squamish Nation/North Vancouver https://bctreatyprocess.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/squamish-development.jpg

(There's a bunch like this, plus signage so it's pretty clear where not to fish)

Are there "MUST AVOID" sections of C/V?