Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hiking to quiet spots on the Vedder?  (Read 14102 times)

markyboy

Hiking to quiet spots on the Vedder?
« on: October 01, 2015, 07:59:20 PM »

I'm new to the Vedder this year and have read a lot in posts saying that there is lots of good, quiet spots on the Vedder if you are willing to explore. I've tried hard to spend as much time exploring the last couple of weeks as I have fishing and seem to have missed most of the spots.

I'm wondering if the 'fishable' water is less because the water level is fairly low? For example some of the spots I found that were quite nice runs a week and a half ago are now really quite shallow and rocky. Earlier this week I hiked the river from below Thomson park all the way up to Osborne road (with all the crowds fishing the deep pool) and found water that in my opinion seemed to be too rocky, too fast to consistently fish. Yes there was some small pocket water around rocks but even if I landed my float in the exact spot, it would only be there for a couple of seconds before disappearing way down the river due to the torrent of water. I hiked into another spot way upriver but after about 20 minutes, found that there were only two spots and each already had two fisherman there.

So my assumption is that once it rains some more, there will be more fish spread out throughout the whole system and more fishable water for us all. Is this correct and I just need to join the crowds until the rain comes, or do I just need to hike more, or should I shorten up my float to a foot and fish the shallow water that no one else fishes?

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: Hiking to quiet spots on the Vedder?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 08:23:10 PM »

A couple weeks of exploring is a start.
I've only done it for a few decades and hopefully for a few more.
Rivers change every year, some portions more than others.

There's been good days and lesser days for some but I think it's the spoiled some got from pink fishing or the unrealistic expectations percieved.

It only seems like everyone is catching when you read the bragging or err I say reporting some post on line.
There's always someone who'll catch and there a lot that won't.
Though the odds get better for those who've done it a bit more and those that can get out a bit more.

Have patience or quit.
It's not a video game though every new guy seems to think there's a cheat sheet to success.

It's one of those old school games where you actually have to put in some time to be successful and where having success isn't a measure of how good you are but mearly a step closer to being so.

markyboy

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 08:31:57 PM »

Have patience or quit.
It's not a video game though every new guy seems to think there's a cheat sheet to success.

It's one of those old school games where you actually have to put in some time to be successful

Not very helpful or encouraging. I Have lots of patience and i'm not a video game type who expects success so unless you know me don't be so sanctimonious. If everyone was to follow your example there would be no point in this forum.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 08:44:05 PM »

Not very helpful or encouraging. I Have lots of patience and i'm not a video game type who expects success so unless you know me don't be so sanctimonious. If everyone was to follow your example there would be no point in this forum.

Agree it wasn't. But this type of question gets asked over and over, and certain members have less patience themselves. ;)

This forum is not about the river, this forum is about the act of fishing itself. To learn new techniques, and to discuss all things fishing.  People are very tight lipped because those quiet spots won't be quiet if they tell you, and everyone else who's searching these forums for this type of information.

I think what you're doing is good, keep at it. Yes a lot of decent spots become less decent due to low water.

sbc hris

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 08:44:57 PM »

There's been good days and lesser days for some but I think it's the spoiled some got from pink fishing or the unrealistic expectations percieved.

It only seems like everyone is catching when you read the bragging or err I say reporting some post on line.
Though the odds get better for those who've done it a bit more and those that can get out a bit more.

Have patience or quit.

It's one of those old school games where you actually have to put in some time to be successful and where having success isn't a measure of how good you are but mearly a step closer to being so.

LOL who pissed in your corn flakes? He asked a very legitimate question. I guess you've never asked any? If you don't like what's being posted (apparently it's all just braggarts and newbies looking for handouts anyways) then why be here??? Do you know what bugs me wayyy more than the above mentioned posters? People like you. I'm sure You know the old saying about having nothing nice to say...

Markboy, I've had the same problem as you with the Vedder. More water will definitely improve things a lot. I don't even bother fishing that river when the conditions are like this, but persistence will pay off, and eventually you will probably find some decent holding water somewhere that's free from the hoards. When the fish are moving, I have seen people get them out of that skinny water you talk about, but whether the fish are biting or being lined I'm still unsure of. Haven't had much luck in it myself.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 08:50:04 PM »

Markyboy,

Keep up the exploring!! Yes the water conditions are a tad bit low for some of those middle and upper river spots, however, seeing them this low should give you an idea on fish travelling lanes and holding spots come the higher water.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 08:53:46 PM »

Every river is different every time I go out. For that matter, every fishing place is different every time, except for lakes. I've stopped having any expectations beyond that I'll do what I can when I can to adapt to what is in front of me at any given time. But yeah, I think low water levels will have a definite impact on how fishable it is. Just keep going out whenever you can.

You could also do a walk and wade guided trip to see a few spots. I did that at Fred's, it was a good introduction to the river. Lots more exploring for me to do as well. Last time I was there, I got fixated on fishing a spot that I caught a fish last time I was there. 6 hours of nothing at all when I should have moved on...

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 09:32:44 PM »

Have patience or quit.

Excellent reply. Straight shooting at its best, no bull, no nonsense.
I, for one, am flabbergasted that the original poster felt offended. Markyboy, you either need to grow a thicker skin, or stay home and off fishing forums where no one will hurt you.

You asked a legitimate question, and you got a legitimate, truthful (I highlighted the main parts), and non-sugar-coated answer.
One should not ask the question if they are not willing to hear the answer, as one will often NOT like what people have to say, especially because they have EXPECTATIONS. It is the nature of the Internet.

Don't have expectations and you will do fine. Enjoy the hikes, discover new water, take notes about water levels (you are bang on that there is less fishable water right now). A spot that is empty today might be crowded tomorrow. Heck, find another one, who cares?!?!

Kudos to fish or cut bait for saying it like it is, rather than providing some pointless, pat-on-the shoulder politically-correct but useless encouragement.

Edited to add: The rule of thumb is: 10% of the anglers catch 90% of the fish. Even the Internet couldn't change that. And to become part of the 10%, it takes a while. I have been fishing for 45 years and I am still not there myself.  :-\

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:35:18 PM by milo »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 09:42:10 PM »

Have patience or quit could mean put in the time, keep exploring or just quit for the day, not for your life. If you think it's hopeless - just walk another 1/2 km along the river to see what you find. Put on your Polaroids and look into the water. Be still, use brief current slicks as windows to study the bottom. You'll be surprised that spots that you think are fishless hold some nice fish.   
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tylsie

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 10:15:15 PM »

I get what fish or cut bait was saying; put in your time, don't expect it to be handed to you, etc. But Markyboy asked a series of valid questions, these to be specific.

So my assumption is that once it rains some more, there will be more fish spread out throughout the whole system and more fishable water for us all. Is this correct and I just need to join the crowds until the rain comes, or do I just need to hike more, or should I shorten up my float to a foot and fish the shallow water that no one else fishes?

These are not the questions someone who is looking for a handout asks. These are the questions of someone who wants to learn.

2015 is one of the driest summers I have ever encountered. All the rain we have had will only brought the rivers up the levels they should of been at a month to a month and a half ago. I haven't been to the Vedder this year, had other pursuits. But if it anything like the local rivers it is about 3" - 5" below normal water levels. That makes a huge difference when it comes to salmon. Hiking is always good, take a camera with you. With this low water holes that you would not normally be able to see will be exposed. They will hold fish when the water levels rise, like in a normal year. Put them in a scrap book to keep track of where to start and how the river changes.

As for fishing the skinny water, yes it is true that you will blow through it pretty quick if the fish are there that will be all the time you need. There are techniques for shallow water. The only tip I will give about that is look into Great Lakes salmon fishing forums where it is more common.

There is a lot of varied water to cover in that system, it is a great place to learn and experiment should you want to try other rivers in the future.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 10:23:23 PM »

And to become part of the 10%, it takes a while. I have been fishing for 45 years and I am still not there myself. 

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! (slow motion sound)

Dogbreath

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 10:25:12 PM »

Accept that the C/V system is a godforsaken garbage strewn ditch-an urban fishery on par with the worst behaviour North America has to offer-there is No Escape.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 10:29:55 PM »

Fortunately I've not found it so, though my experience is limited.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 11:41:57 PM »

Accept that the C/V system is a godforsaken garbage strewn ditch-an urban fishery on par with the worst behaviour North America has to offer-there is No Escape.

LOL it has its moments

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 02:50:55 PM »

Honestly if I'm looking to hike to a quiet spot, I would not go to the Vedder.  There are a few other Fraser Valley streams that would probably be more suitable.  Personally I'm a fan of the Squamish area rivers for quiet spots.  Hardly see any people and see more wildlife.