Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artificials for coho  (Read 7926 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Artificials for coho
« on: October 01, 2015, 12:35:21 PM »

I thought the thread about Chinook artificials was really helpful and one of the best I've read. Could we do the same for coho ?
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: Artificials for coho
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »

Fly fishing in general, twitching jigs is absolutely deadly, spinners and blades as well as spoons (retrieved or jigged). Coho love to chase so anything that's moving and shiny. For flies, sparse in blue or olive with flash.

Byronnn

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 12:49:43 PM »

Bent Rod has a few videos on fishing Coho with jigs, I found them very interesting and will definitely be trying them this year.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=youtube+bend+rod+coho&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=GY4NVovEEYq1ogTM4beQDw

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 01:54:31 PM »

What would work under a float ?
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 01:57:09 PM »

Blades, jigs, beads, wool, rubber eggs/wool.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 03:24:43 PM »

Same,  almost.
Just need to fish a different track.

Lazy come, lazy go...

Blackrt03

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 03:27:34 PM »

What would work under a float ?

Roe and spinners

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 03:33:59 PM »

drifted jigs, blades under a float works and even I can do it, Colorado blades or others

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 03:40:12 PM »

Fly fishing in general, twitching jigs is absolutely deadly, spinners and blades as well as spoons (retrieved or jigged). Coho love to chase so anything that's moving and shiny. For flies, sparse in blue or olive with flash.

Pretty much sums everything up.
Great reply.

I'd just add that you need to remember that springs push coho out of the deep holes.  ;)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 10:12:49 PM »

Coho are not roe pigs like chinooks. Sure they like roe but they do not turn down lures and artificials. My favorite is the blue fox on a spinning setup. They can be cast into the current and flutter down. Also cast and retrieved in slow or non moving water.

Of course the fly is the most fun and my favorite is the blue rolled muddler.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 05:40:13 PM »

My favorite is the blue fox on a spinning setup. They can be cast into the current and flutter down. Also cast and retrieved.

ehat size and colour BF do you usually use? Do you use a leader when fishing With a spinning setup or just connect directly to the main line? I'm planning to try spinners in the lower Fraser when coho is open but am not sure what size and setup would work best. Any info would be appreciated.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 06:04:02 PM »

For spinning setup, I attach a swivel with a clip on it, and then attach my lure to that. That way if you wanna change, you can quickly change and not always have to re-tie. Some people will argue that it's not the best way to do it, as it's too close to the lure, but I have caught many of coho with this setup, and prefer it. If fish aren't biting, quickly swap up lures in 30 seconds.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 06:42:26 PM »

Mepps spinners in #3 to #1 have been very very good to me, as far as lures go. For flies, olive woolly buggy as flashy as you can make it, rolled muddler, Christmas trees, KCK and Mickey Finns. Back in the day florescent red flatfish or j plugs (generic is banana plug) were hot, black in the fraser or even frog patterns were deadly!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 09:17:33 PM »

Coho are not roe pigs like chinooks. Sure they like roe but they do not turn down lures and artificials. My favorite is the blue fox on a spinning setup. They can be cast into the current and flutter down. Also cast and retrieved in slow or non moving water.

Of course the fly is the most fun and my favorite is the blue rolled muddler.

X2 but I prefer Trophy Tackle spinners over bluefox, I find they have a better quality Finnish and $2.00 less at most shops not to mentionyou can bomb them a mile

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 12:13:05 AM »

X2 but I prefer Trophy Tackle spinners over bluefox, I find they have a better quality Finnish and $2.00 less at most shops not to mention you can bomb them a mile

I totally agree with this statement.

My real shift towards Trophy Tackle spinners was one day in early October 2 years ago. I had always used blue foxes and decided to put a blue fox in the same size and colour up against a trophy tackle spinner (again same size and colour). Final count for the day was an astounding 14 fish on the trophy spinners to my 2 fish on blue foxes, with me having first water. One of those fish on the trophy spinners was this one behind me:

I personally would never use blue fox again. Cheap, over priced garbage. Very light, need to reel 100mph to get them spinning, and they don't cast well. The TT spinners cast very easily - even in small sizes - and you can reel them very, very slow without having the blade stop spinning - which is crucial some days that the fish want a slow presentation. They also sink well and help you cover the deeper, faster holes better. Not to mention they come in almost any colour or sizes you want at a great price!

Besides the spinners... not much can beat a 2/5 R&B spoon either retrieved or jigging through a backwater or tail out (retrieve/jig will depend on what mood the fish are in that day). Gibbs crocs work well also.

Roe is actually quite low on my list for what I would use for coho. In fact, I would say colorado's under a float in various sizes will out fish roe most days (Again - for colorado's check out R&B blades - lots of diff 50/50 colours!).

Another thing I wouldn't overlook is twitching jigs through backwaters and tail outs. My personal favourite is a bright pink body with a chartreuse and pink tail.

I find roe is a very first light fishery (or last light), while artificial's will take fish all day, even in clear conditions and high sun.