Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beginner fisherman looking for a good place to hook up  (Read 6277 times)

am3ience

Beginner fisherman looking for a good place to hook up
« on: September 29, 2015, 10:05:42 PM »

Hey guys, so i'm pretty new to all this and I have gone a few times already past the month, first time at Ambleside, got a few nibbles but no hooks. Second time I tried furry creek beach, not much luck there either, later that day head to the Squamish river, few hooks (or could have been the current deceiving me) but couldn't land any, my friend did manage to get one trout tho. Third time I went to Matsqui park, under the Mission Bridge, didn't manage even a single bite.

At this point i'm pretty discouraged, haven't had much success. I was hoping you guys had any good places for a beginner, somewhere fish bite often. I recently got laid off so I got a lot of time on my hands now lol. Nothing too far tho, i'm thinking under a 45 minute drive out of Surrey.

Any advice would be awesome!

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Re: Beginner fisherman looking for a good place to hook up
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:17:56 PM »

I was gonna say, try Tinder, but...;)

Capilano River and Chilliwack River. Be advised I have no wheels so don't know what driving time is involved. There's places to fish in New West, Richmond, pretty much any place with access to the Fraser.

I don't know for sure but my hunch is that places like Ambleside and Furry Creek will be pretty much done as the fish holding out there to waiting to get up the rivers will more or less be in the systems by now. But this is my first season at it, so caveat emptor...

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 10:23:30 PM »

As well, what I've been finding is that there is no place that is consistent. What's red hot today can be stone cold tomorrow. Where you had relentless hookups at dawn can go stone cold by breakfast time.

We're coming into stocked rainbow season soon, so maybe some of the stocked local urban fisheries might be a good place for you to try if catching fish is your #1 priority.

Myself, I get frustrated by my very high skunk ratio, no doubt, but enjoy getting out to the water regardless. Catching a fish is a bonus...

CHaddon

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 08:04:57 AM »

I was at Rice lake for stocked rainbow in North Van last weekend. Rainy morning so it kept most of the crowds away but that is a very small lake that they stocked with 1200 extremely energetic rainbow trout that will bite about anything you put in the water.

It's also a really nice spot out of the city. Highly recommend!

http://www.gofishbc.com/fish-stocking-reports/recent-fish-releases/ReportOutputResult.aspx?StockSpecies=all&StockStrains=all&StockGenotypes=all&FishStages=all&Region=LOWER%20MAINLAND&Town=all&Waterbody=all&&DateFrom=9/25/2010&DateTo=9/24/2015

losos

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 12:21:21 PM »

If you're running out of patience after a couple of outings with no success then perhaps it is time for another hobby.
I too have some days with no fish but keep back coming like buldog. For me catching fish is a cherry on  top of the cake. Enjoy your trip with good buddy ,have a good time watching nature . If you do it a lot (as many done before you) then one day you'll be rewarded.
Rome wasn't built at once.
The best way for you though would be to hook up with experienced angler. He should chose time for you to go fishing.
My buddy when introducing novice to fishing always picks the best time for guy to be successful for the first time so guy gets hooked immediately. After that he may have bad days , but initial experience already left its mark.
Good luck.

TimL

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 05:06:05 PM »

Any of the urban lakes will be good for hatchery trout right now as they have been recently stocked (Lafarge, Como, Sasamat to name a few). That was how I got started fishing years ago.. If you're not too fussy you can also try fishing off the local piers in the salt for perch and a variety of bottom fish (sole/flounder, greenling, bullhead)..season's at its tail end however (should be good till mid October)..you can also get some crabbing done while fishing. Some suggestions: White Rock, Crescent Beach, Belcarra, Ambleside. For sole, greenling & bullhead, simply set up a bottom rig, bait with shrimp/worm, cast out and very slowly retrieve on the bottom...a sandy/muddy bottom will produce flatfish, places with seaweed/eel grass will also produce greenling. For perch and the odd greenling, fish near the structure with small hooks, bait with worm.

Good luck.  :)

hrenya

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 08:02:55 PM »

am3 , like people saying above , stocked lakes your best bet . it can produce 10-50fish in 3-4 hours . BUT sometimes it can be pretty dead too . that's why it calls "fishing" .

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 10:00:20 PM »

I would suggest you read as much as you can on this site

get out there and have fun just being out there
find some places where there may be other people fishing and watch, ask and learn  (yes you may pick up a few bad habits)
There are many fishermen/women that are more than willing to help out newbies, just respect their space.

The best part of fishing is there is always something to learn and that you get out what you put in, that doesn't mean that if you put in a hard day on the watery that you will catch fish but you will enjoy it and as mentioned if you don't enjoy it pick another sport ???

I have a few of questions that may help others to help you here
where do you live :-\
Do you have transport :-\
What gear do you have (size of rod, type of reel, line you are using etc) :-\
What are you looking for in a day out fishing 8)
do you have waders

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:02:26 PM by Britguy »

Scooterguy

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 10:20:45 PM »

Fishing is a game. ;) There are game's rules and lucks. ;D there is a winner and loser ::). Just relaxe, patience and enjoy the nature. Your luck will come. ;D

keep fishing. :D

Life is good.

am3ience

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 07:02:53 PM »

I would suggest you read as much as you can on this site

get out there and have fun just being out there
find some places where there may be other people fishing and watch, ask and learn  (yes you may pick up a few bad habits)
There are many fishermen/women that are more than willing to help out newbies, just respect their space.

The best part of fishing is there is always something to learn and that you get out what you put in, that doesn't mean that if you put in a hard day on the watery that you will catch fish but you will enjoy it and as mentioned if you don't enjoy it pick another sport ???

I have a few of questions that may help others to help you here
where do you live :-\
Do you have transport :-\
What gear do you have (size of rod, type of reel, line you are using etc) :-\
What are you looking for in a day out fishing 8)
do you have waders

- I live in Surrey
- I own a car
- I have a shimano 9 foot spinning rod and reel
- looking to catch fish and enjoy some nature
- i do have a pair of waders yup

hrenya

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 08:31:54 PM »

- I live in Surrey
- I own a car

I was at Rice Lake today , 29 caught 1 kept , my bud got 18 2 kept .. don't need waders , nice nature ...
Probably will hit it tomorrow morning again ...

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 07:29:29 AM »

Wow, I bomb at Rice lake constantly! Mind you, I've only ever gone in the winter...

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 08:31:55 AM »

- I live in Surrey
- I own a car
Why not go to Green Timbers instead of Rice Lake?  You'll save a lot of gas.

hrenya

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 08:33:17 PM »

Why not go to Green Timbers instead of Rice Lake?  You'll save a lot of gas.
can`t compare timbers and rice .