Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: thoughts on gloomis Fly Rods  (Read 4514 times)

kalex60

thoughts on gloomis Fly Rods
« on: September 21, 2015, 12:58:17 PM »

Hey all I am looking into a new fly rod Ive always like the brand of gloomis but never bought one any though on opinions would be greatly appreciated. any comparisons to other brands?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 02:46:02 PM by kalex60 »

Outdoorsman

Re: thoughts on gloomis Fly Rods
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 01:07:07 PM »

I have a g.loomis pro4x in a 7 weight. Highly recommend. If you haven't checked out the pro4x line I would google and YouTube them. High end components at a valuable price.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 08:01:20 PM »

Loomis has been owned by Berkley for some time but still is one of the top rod companies in the world. Steve Rajeff, a many time world champion caster was their chief designer for years and may still be involved - I don't know. They have a full line up of rods from moderate priced to premium and should be compared to any other maker. I've owned 2 Loomis rods - one fly rod many years ago that was back in the Gary Loomis days and a CP rod. Very nice rods
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 08:21:21 PM »

Loomis has been owned by Berkley for some time but still is one of the top rod companies in the world. Steve Rajeff, a many time world champion caster was their chief designer for years and may still be involved - I don't know. They have a full line up of rods from moderate priced to premium and should be compared to any other maker. I've owned 2 Loomis rods - one fly rod many years ago that was back in the Gary Loomis days and a CP rod. Very nice rods

Actually they are owned by Shimano.  Berkley is a different group entirely that unfortunately acquired Greys and Hardy....

iCemAn

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 08:51:52 PM »

I have a GLX Streamdance 696-4 and it is a cannon. I don't fish the rod a lot as I have so many others to choose from, but it is my go to rod on windy days on the lake or when I'm fishing smaller rivers for bulls. Love the rod and would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 09:25:03 PM »

Actually they are owned by Shimano.  Berkley is a different group entirely that unfortunately acquired Greys and Hardy....

Ok I got that wrong. Though I know Gary Loomis sold the company and retired some years back. Interesting if you look at the websites for Shimano, Berkley, Hardy, Fenwick or Loomis corporate 'relationships' aren't mentioned at all.The Fenwick company history web page seems to stop sometime in the 1980s, which is not surprising.

Clarkii do you know if Rajeff is still with Loomis? He stayed for many years after Gary Loomis retired. 
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

kalex60

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 09:53:17 AM »

did some research Steve Rajeff is still designing for them

Anybody have thought on there warranty or quality

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 07:03:19 PM »

Ok I got that wrong. Though I know Gary Loomis sold the company and retired some years back. Interesting if you look at the websites for Shimano, Berkley, Hardy, Fenwick or Loomis corporate 'relationships' aren't mentioned at all.The Fenwick company history web page seems to stop sometime in the 1980s, which is not surprising.

Clarkii do you know if Rajeff is still with Loomis? He stayed for many years after Gary Loomis retired.

I think Steve Rajeff is still there.

What I do know for sure is Tim Rajeff is with Echo lol

Oh and I believe sage does the same despite everyone knowing they are farbanks lol
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:19:34 PM by clarkii »