Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 5wt Switch  (Read 11041 times)

RG

5wt Switch
« on: September 10, 2015, 07:34:44 PM »

Does anybody use a 5wt switch rod?  Trying to decide between a 4switch, 5switch, 6spey.  The plan is to swing for bulls with relatively large heavy flies.  I have on good authority that a switch 4 is too light for the flies I would be using.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

adecadelost

Re: 5wt Switch
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 04:36:02 PM »

I have a 6wt switch i bought specifically for bulls and it's a blast to fish and casts some pretty heavy tips and flies.

bluenoser

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 09:21:16 PM »

I started using a 5wt switch this year beach fishing and river fishing for pinks....love it. I use the skagit extreme 360 grain with interchangeable tips and it works great.

360 is the high end I also have a 300 grain which works better for single hand casting but the skagit head turns tips and flies over no issue.

You'll love it!

BN

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 09:47:39 PM »

for bull trout size streamers I think a #6 or even a #7 would be the way to go. #4 & #5 is more the trout range though a #5 should be fine for pinks river or beach.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 06:46:14 AM »

friend of mine uses a 6# switch for kootenay bulls.  Lifts large stuff well.

RG

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 03:33:49 PM »

Thanks for all the replies, still scratching my head...

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »

First you need to figure out if you are fishing for 1-5 lbs bulls or 5-15 lbs bulls?

Tossing relatively big and heavy flies, I am thinking the larger bulls in heavier water, therefore you should probably be thinking the 6 wt switch range?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 04:43:36 PM by Knnn »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 05:06:55 PM »

I use a 4/5wt switch for Bulls myself but I also don't try tossing monster stuff because the rod just can't do it unless I really work hard or do touch and go type casts. I also fish shorter sink tips (6-8ft) because they are also easier to turn over with an 11' switch rod.

If you want to use giant Bull flies or really heavy tips I would look into a 6 or 7 wt like was already suggested. I had a 7wt switch and it tossed 10' of T14 and a decent sized steelhead Intruder pretty well so I'm sure anything you'd use for Bulls it could handle
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RG

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 05:10:03 PM »

I'm catching bulls in the 3+ consistently, a few in the 8-10lb range but not often.  I throw one fly in the world for them and it's pretty heavy.  My single hand 5wt hates the big flies and my 8wt SH and DH are overkill...

RG

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 05:12:29 PM »

ok, so now perhaps the question is 6wt switch or 6wt spey (12.6)?

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 06:19:32 PM »

5 or 6 weight switch or a 6 or 7 weight single hander would get my vote. If you are fishing in the Lower Mainland or Sea to Sky area there is really no need to toss big heavy flies most of the time.

RG

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 06:52:56 PM »

Maybe I used the term "heavy fly" inappropriately, basically it's in the intruder with dumbbell eyes category.  If a 5wt switch can toss that nicely I'll go with that, otherwise a 6 switch or spey I guess.  Thanks for all the help!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 05:09:16 PM »

Maybe I used the term "heavy fly" inappropriately, basically it's in the intruder with dumbbell eyes category.  If a 5wt switch can toss that nicely I'll go with that, otherwise a 6 switch or spey I guess.  Thanks for all the help!

you talking barbell eyes or lead dumbells ?

There is a HUGE difference in weight and also what size your using. My 4/5 switch can toss flies with a 1/4" bead no problem and small sized lead eyes is where it starts to struggle a little more depending on materials in the fly as well. If your using a lot of rabbit or marabou they will be harder to pull up out of the water because they suck a lot of it up. Using heavy flies with short light switch rods takes a little practice that's for sure but it sure is fun  :D

Another way around using heavy barbells is wrapping lead on the shank of your fly underneath all the material. Then you can add any type of lightly weighted, plastic eyes or stick on eyes to make the pattern look alive. Having the lead under the materials actually makes it easier to cast somehow and they drop fast (I do this a lot on my bully flies)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RG

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 08:50:30 PM »

you talking barbell eyes or lead dumbells ?

There is a HUGE difference in weight and also what size your using. My 4/5 switch can toss flies with a 1/4" bead no problem and small sized lead eyes is where it starts to struggle a little more depending on materials in the fly as well. If your using a lot of rabbit or marabou they will be harder to pull up out of the water because they suck a lot of it up. Using heavy flies with short light switch rods takes a little practice that's for sure but it sure is fun  :D

Another way around using heavy barbells is wrapping lead on the shank of your fly underneath all the material. Then you can add any type of lightly weighted, plastic eyes or stick on eyes to make the pattern look alive. Having the lead under the materials actually makes it easier to cast somehow and they drop fast (I do this a lot on my bully flies)

Thanks!  They're brass barbell, not lead.  I'll pull the trigger on something soon.  Thanks for all the help.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 09:51:26 PM »

So what did you buy?

I'm having the same dilemma. Thinking of getting one that would work for the squamish, the odd upper skagit trip, maybe the odd lake trip, and summer steelies.

I'm guessing a 5 wt switch would be good no? 

Also anyone have any thoughts on those commando heads from OPST?