Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 87591 times)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: 2015 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2015, 08:37:55 PM »

I caught a bunch of bycatch Pinks.
It was like they were following me.

TimL

« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2015, 09:56:55 PM »

How come with all these fishermen on the banks there are not any bycatches. You'd think pike minnows and some trout would be hooked as well. But all I get is sardine sized fish bumping my lure
I caught a shiner perch on a 2.5" pink buzzbomb last week while fishing for pinks in Richmond..it was only barely bigger than my lure and I actually lip-hooked it..so I'm not sure why it was so fascinated by something it could not fit its mouth around.
I went out for a short fishing session out in New West in the early morning before work on Monday. Tide was high and was approaching/or at slack. Saw a few fish surfacing and had 1 hookup which I quickly lost near shore..not much action after that when the seals came in.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:59:25 PM by TimL »

Tylsie

« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2015, 10:50:32 PM »

I caught a shiner perch on a 2.5" pink buzzbomb last week while fishing for pinks in Richmond..it was only barely bigger than my lure and I actually lip-hooked it..so I'm not sure why it was so fascinated by something it could not fit its mouth around.
I went out for a short fishing session out in New West in the early morning before work on Monday. Tide was high and was approaching/or at slack. Saw a few fish surfacing and had 1 hookup which I quickly lost near shore..not much action after that when the seals came in.

Funny you should say that. I was at Derby yesterday for a short trip. I though I was way to early, 2 o'clock was all the time I had. It was slow until the seals showed up then I got 3 in a hurry. Think the seals kept them pinned to the shore. Only had 45 minutes, and think the school passed pretty quick, but that was the only time I was grateful to see the seals.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2015, 06:44:50 AM »

As far as the hand ringing over this year's return vs 2013; 2013 was the 2nd largest return on record and was just marginally lower than 2003. 2005 saw about 10 million fish so record runs don't seem to be followed by equally large returns. When I started fishing pinks in the Fraser watershed in the early 90s, a return of 7 million seemed quite remarkable. Ten to 20 years before that the return was as low as a million fish. I just hope that this year's return isn't the start of a return to that sort of pattern.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 04:50:17 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tangles

« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2015, 09:03:05 AM »

Landed a dime bright 12lb chinook the other day in New West, right after low slack. No pink love though.

66TWH

« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2015, 09:58:13 AM »

There was a good push of fish thru Langley area last night. Decent amount of fish showing on surface from 4 to 630-7 when I left. I was pretty excited to see this and was optimistic about getting into something after a few outings last week with no success.
I threw the tackle box at them with everything I have had success on this season and past cycles. Zero!!
Was frustrated a bit as usual but understand they can be finicky even when presenting thru good number as there were. 40 minutes of gear changes later I decided to just go outside what would be considered "normal" pink gear and threw on this crazy green with black zebra stripped croc. Never been used before and just sitting lonely with my other spoons.
Literally first cast and fish on, with another a few casts later. It wasn't spectacular but ended up with 2 more hook ups after that. 
This is not a break thru in fish philosophy because alot of times going outside the box for stubbron fish holds true but just a word of advice to anyone new to fishing, to not drag that one lure forever thinking it will work "eventually" !  Just keep throwing till maybe something works, even if its the weirdest thing in the box.                           

markyboy

« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2015, 12:37:53 PM »

Fished incoming tide this morning with a couple of other stubborn fishermen and nothing. No bites and very little activity. Third zero fish outing for me in the lower arm.

I've yet to talk to anyone who caught anything on the North Arm this year, and with the south arm being challenging to say the least, I think lower river fishing is over for me until the bait ban is lifted and the coho return (though someone had mentioned that there was concern about the coho numbers this year).

Tomorrow I'll head upstream to Langley or Mission, continue to have good success there - think it's the funnel effect - the ratio of fish to the volume of water works in our favour.

TimL

« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2015, 12:54:49 PM »

Landed a nice male on a buzzbomb early this morning before work, New West area again. Many rollers sighted at first light but few would take lures.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2015, 03:35:47 PM »

Spent a bit of time out this morning with no success but did see some rollers and some fish caught. Water clarity degraded a bit in the past couple of days.

66TWH

« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2015, 07:36:28 PM »

Took the boat out this afternoon / evening with hope of finding some fish after last nights epiphany with an "odd" lure that had success. Found decent numbers showing around golden ears bridge shoreline but was humbled again with no takers. Emptied out the tackle box yet again around rising fish to no avail.
Water like glass, sunshine and tempting fish surfacing around me ....... still made it all worthwhile.         

kevzabob

« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2015, 08:46:46 PM »

Looks like the whonock and cottonwood test fisheries are showing declining numbers...
Fished all tides today. No success, water clarity has degraded over the last week.

nevertoolate

« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2015, 09:46:05 AM »

fished the vedder yesterday around the railway bridge.  Hundreds of pinks swimming by.  No interest in any of my flies.  Have they stopped feeding on the way to spawn?  Would first light give more chance?

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #147 on: September 17, 2015, 09:59:06 AM »

Just finished a week of pink fishing on the fly.It exceeded my expectations.I would say that at first light with a small pink and silvery,crystal flashy fly.Most I caught many multiples on were a # 10.Let it sink then steady small strips.Best day was forty plus biters all fresher fish.By mid morning it was off considerably.
Riverman

kevzabob

« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2015, 09:57:05 AM »

Have all the pinks moved through the lower fraser

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2015, 10:20:43 AM »

Fished the Langley area on the rising tide on Saturday. Hit two on the spoon and another guy already had one on the beach when I got there. No one else was in the immediate area so as far as I could see everyone got fish ;). Water clarity wasnt great though, maybe 1.5'

They are absolutely still in there for those willing to give it a shot.

Also had a nice chat with a DFO officer patrolling the area, so be sure to observe the rules.