Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser pink fishing by boat  (Read 2782 times)

sgodwin

Tidal Fraser pink fishing by boat
« on: September 03, 2015, 11:10:51 PM »

Hi all,

I live in Vancouver and I'm getting my little boat set up in hopes that the pink fishery opens up for the tidal Fraser River soon (yes, I'm going for pinks!). I have a lot of experience on the water in other areas in bigger boats, but I only have a 14' skiff and I've never fished around the Fraser.

Any chance of getting some advice on two things?:
1) Where in general might I find Fraser pinks in early/mid September by boat? Unfortunately I'm having a lot of trouble finding any information online! Please note that I'm not asking for people's secret fishing spots or anything like that. I do understand the value in trial and error, and when I'm on shore I endeavour to do my own research. I'm just looking for suggestions to get me in the right ball park, because right now I only know I should be fishing south of Point Atkinson and north of Point Roberts. I don't even know if people tend to stay more in the 'river' or go into the more open water outside the mouth.

2) Suggestions for boat launches. Obviously this will depend on the answer to #1. From maps online, it seems like the options are: Vanier Park for Burrard Inlet, McDonald Beach for the North Arm, and Ladner Boat Launch for the South Arm. Does that sound about right, or are there better options? Does anyone have any specific suggestions or information about any of these launches?

Thank you!

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Re: Tidal Fraser pink fishing by boat
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 08:58:25 AM »

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Tidal Fraser pink fishing by boat
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 10:56:55 AM »

1) Where in general might I find Fraser pinks in early/mid September by boat?

Serious answer, everywhere. Not being facetious, by mid-Sept in a normal pink year they will be throughout the Fraser from Richmond to Chilliwack. No general area will necessarily be better than any other, with the exception that in Richmond pinks tend to go through the south arm of the Fraser instead of the north.

Since you have the luxury of a boat, I would just pick the launch closest to your house that’s not terrible. If you are absolutely stuck for spots, start with the typical areas all the crowds flock to and use your boat to find a piece of shoreline nearby the non-boaters cannot access and enjoy.