Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Skagit needs to reopen  (Read 7800 times)

Robert_G

Re: The Skagit needs to reopen
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 01:40:58 PM »

edit....this post can be deleted.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:44:08 PM by Robert_G »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 02:10:46 PM »

honestly I don't know where the theory the Skagit was closed because otherwise it would be over run with anglers came from. Where would all those anglers come from? The Harrison, Chilliwack & Squamish (plus Cheakamus) stayed open were they overrun? One reason all Region 2 streams were closed was to protect salmon as DFO. There are no salmon in the Skagit on the Canadian side or Ross Lake. Many of the small stream in the valley would have no salmon or mature trout in them during the drought. In some searuns will move in after the rain and would not have experienced the drought. I can't see they'd be endangered or need a period of time to recover. But it is what it is.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tylsie

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 03:37:04 PM »

Yes, lots of people are complaining about over crowding on the Squamish, the Harrison, the Mouth of the Cap and several other areas. Hopefully opening the Fraser to pinks will reduce the pressure. But the closures such as the one on the Skagit have nothing to do with salmon, and the DFO has no power to enforce closures in Fresh Water Systems. They are there to protect all species including minnows, crustaceans, juvenile trout, and insect larvae that these species feed on. All of these species are susceptible to the warm, low water that we had this summer, especially in local streams. What do people think will happen to the trout population when the most susceptible (juveniles, and their prey) are gone? Further, there are several devout anglers who don't fish for salmon who are lamenting these closures.  If all of the rivers they usually fish remain closed, but the Skagit opened then yes, I believe the it would be over crowded.

It disturbs me that anglers place so little value on these species, only valuing catchable trout. Then many further narrow their concerns to a specific form of fishing. The only rules on the Skagit is no bait. It is used by a large variety of anglers. I, for example, seldom use dry flies. When I fish the Skagit it is usually when I am taking out a new fisher and teaching them nymphing or casting big streamers for Bulls. Plus I will usually pack a light spinning set up so they don't get to discouraged. Further, if the Skagit is the only place a person can find to Dry Fly in Region 2 then perhaps they should open there horizons. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 04:46:28 PM »

It disturbs me that anglers place so little value on these species, only valuing catchable trout

You're only disturbed by your jumping to conclusions. No one said they were not concerned about the entire biota in the LMs best trout stream. Crowding was not that bad on the Squamish. Only in one specific spot and over most of the river no where at the levels seen in 2013. The Vedder isn't all that crowded either accepting the usual meat holes. It was crowded in some of those July1. I haven't been to the Harrison but it's hardly known as a summer fishery excepting maybe sturgeon. What other major summer time river or stream fishery was not left open? None were closed. The closures were put coordinated between F&W and DFO and there is no evidence the closure on the Skagit needs to continue for the entire month. There is no evidence conditions were any different than any previous summer or any real loss of aquatic biomass took place.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tylsie

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 06:12:55 PM »

I am not arguing that the Skagit faced the threat of any serious biomass loss. I am arguing that several other creeks in Region 2 did. I know of quite a few studies done, and work done by various groups that showed serious dangerously low water levels, temperature increases, low oxygen, and depleted insect numbers in waterways through out the region. That tells me that the fish in those systems are under stress and should not be targeted. Some of these are salmon bearing streams, some are not. But people fish them for all sorts of species. If you close all of these fishing areas, people are going to go where they can. That is why I think the Skagit should remained closed until all the rivers are open.

At the end of the day, I hope that all the rivers open soon. I love taking my nephews out to fish the sloughs for carp and sun fish. I love going out after work in a local stream and chasing rainbows and cutties, and taking in countless pikeminnows instead. I love the Skagit, it is one my favorite places in North America, not just for fishing but period. That is what makes this place so great. So much to variety. But if I have to wait another month to ensure a sustainable resource, so be it. The Lakes are just becoming prime again anyways. Tight lines everyone.

Chris S

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 06:22:59 PM »

Maybe a little off topic, but just heard that the US side of the Skagit is shoulder to shoulder fishermen right now...right up to the cascades...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 06:46:58 PM »

big pink salmon run in the Skagit