Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WTF is wrong with people??  (Read 7780 times)

Chris S

Re: WTF is wrong with people??
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 11:05:29 AM »

The study previously mentioned only held fish in a holding area for a short time.  I remember reading about another study that indicated that sockeye catches/snags depleted the fish of so much reserve energy that most of them (80% I think it was) didn't have enough energy left to make it to the spawning grounds. I think whether they survive or not in a holding area for 24 hours or so after being caught is irrelevant if most of those fish then can't make it to the spawning grounds afterwards.

ShaunO

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 01:16:51 PM »

In addition the short 24 hour hold time, unless the anglers catching these study fish were granted exemptions, these fish were given much gentler treatment than the problem fishers do.  The 20 foot drag up the beach is definitely not improving their chances of survival.  I'm not saying all by-catch salmon are abused, but I would suggest that the anglers that only know bottom bouncing to catch fish are at the heart of the problem.  And like anything else in life, it is usually a small group of people that ruin something for the majority.

This comedy routine by Jim Jefferies comes to mind and if you don't agree with my point, well you might still just have a laugh.

NSFW language

https://youtu.be/zBOk1SnQ8uU?t=11m22s

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 01:21:24 PM »

No the radio telemetry study indicated that 70 to 80% were still alive at the farthest radio receiver point which was well up in the canyon. That study compared release techniques - immediate release, release with after 1 minute of air exposure and release after 1 minute of air exposure and then revival. Surprisingly the fish released after 1 minute of air exposure and no revival had the highest survival rate which is counter intuitive. It should note there was no control - ie what is the average mortality of fish that weren't caught and released. We know depending on conditions lots of fish perish on the way... they may just die or be caught by anglers or by 1st nation's fisheries.

here's the link check page 9 (700). http://www.fecpl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Robinson-et-al-2015-TAFS-paper.pdf

24 hours has been the standard hold period in such studies for about 40 years and studies that held fish (usually trout) longer didn't find any significant mortality after 24 hours.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 01:24:38 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.