Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Skagit needs to reopen  (Read 7747 times)

Robert_G

The Skagit needs to reopen
« on: September 03, 2015, 04:53:35 PM »

There is no excuse. It was actually quite full of color yesterday and very high. Once again, my confidence in those in charge is lacking.

TheFishingLad

Re: The Skagit needs to reopen
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 05:10:07 PM »

I'm sure fish think differently. The longer it's closed the more fish that will be happy.

So technically, this request, as a species, is utterly selfish.

Or just let those in charge do their job, and we'll do ours.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 09:36:44 PM »

There is no excuse. It was actually quite full of color yesterday and very high. Once again, my confidence in those in charge is lacking.

It's high because we just had s few days of very heavy rain, but there is still some question whether this is a long term change in the weather, or a temporary break in the extended drought conditions.  What's the point in opening a bunch of rivers only to have to shut them down again in a week if it dries up again for another month.  I am sure they will open things up again once it is clear the wet season is here to stay.
Not all those who wander are lost

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 10:26:14 AM »

I'm sure fish think differently. The longer it's closed the more fish that will be happy.

So technically, this request, as a species, is utterly selfish.

Or just let those in charge do their job, and we'll do ours.

Anthropomorphization of the fish are you?

So to extend your ideology you are giving up fishing entirely to make the fish "happiest".

Or are you ok with just killing a few of them and make "happier".

Bit of sliding moral scale you employ. There's irony in your use of the word selfish.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:28:45 AM by dennisK »

Apennock

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 12:52:47 PM »

So we should fish with moral abandon?

Renegade

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 02:00:31 PM »

I fished the Skagit the day before it closed.  The water temperature was only 12C, below optimal for hatches and activity, and well below any concern for fish health at that time.  The flow was not unusually low for that time of year, but probably did suffer during the prolonged drought.  Even in other very dry years, water temperature on the Skagit has never been a problem for the fish (based on my 25 years of experience there).  It would be nice if it were re-opened, especially now that the fire risk is reduced.  September is usually the best month for rainbows. 

TheFishingLad

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 02:24:09 PM »

Anthropomorphization of the fish are you?

So to extend your ideology you are giving up fishing entirely to make the fish "happiest".

Or are you ok with just killing a few of them and make "happier".

Bit of sliding moral scale you employ. There's irony in your use of the word selfish.
I think the proper word were going for is Empathy, but ideally we wouldn't have to kill any animals, or harm them for that matter.

However, I was more being a dick because of the OP's seemingly 'I know better than those in charge' attitude (from how I read it) towards the Skagit.

Robert_G

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 09:21:33 PM »

However, I was more being a dick because of the OP's seemingly 'I know better than those in charge' attitude (from how I read it) towards the Skagit.

I've watched and dealt with this political BS for over 30 years here in BC, and I can tell you its not that I think I know more than those in charge; what I know is that there are too many gullible people like yourself who don't even realize it when the politicians in charge are giving you the shaft.
Anybody with half a brain (in regards to fishing) knows that there is absolutely no logical or conservational reason to keep the Skagit shut down right now. At this time last year the Skagit was about a foot lower and 2 degrees warmer than it is today and it was open to fishing. The fact is that now they have either become too lazy or may possibly be underfunded to manage all these fisheries.

Maybe you should ask yourself why sooooo many streams got lumped together in the summer closure this year. Did some of those streams need to be closed this summer? Absolutely yes some of them did, but there were dozens of streams that got thrown in with them that did not need to be shut down, but those in charge were simply too lazy or again...underfunded, to manage each stream on an individual basis. It is as plain as plain can be for anyone with their eyes open to see that our fisheries are less and less becoming managed as individual streams and lakes, and more of on a group or region basis...regardless of the fact that each fishery is unique.
But if you want to believe every thing the DFO and Provincial Fisheries tells you....go ahead....the world is full of gullible people.

Robert_G

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 09:32:16 PM »

It's high because we just had s few days of very heavy rain, but there is still some question whether this is a long term change in the weather, or a temporary break in the extended drought conditions.  What's the point in opening a bunch of rivers only to have to shut them down again in a week if it dries up again for another month.  I am sure they will open things up again once it is clear the wet season is here to stay.

Sandman, you still...after 12 years on these forums boggle my mind with some of your posts.
Statistically speaking....a heat wave (3 days or more in a row above 30 degrees) at this time of year or later is a 1 in every 15 years....After September 15th (which is only 11 days away) those odds increase to one heat wave every 75 years or more.
Here in the Eastern Fraser Valley, we averaged out to about 5 inches of rain since last Friday. The Skagit given it's geographical location could possibly had up to 8 inches or rain since then. The drought is over, Sandman.... until at least next June. This is the west coast of BC....not Arizona. It rains here....all freaking fall, winter, and most springs....and sometimes even half the summer. Even if it doesn't rain until October, our streams will be fine with the 5 inches or rain we got, and by then the water temperatures will be way down anyways. Really....think about what your saying.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 11:46:49 PM »

Cause you know, the whole reason it was closed in the first place was to ensure the system wasn't flooded with people and overpressured, which is exactly what would happen if it opens before other area streams.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 08:15:29 AM »

I agree the Skagit should be re-opened before the 30th but there's a whole lot of issues for other streams that were virtually de-watered. When I was in Manning Park the middle of last month the Sumallo looked fine but the upper Similkameen was just a trickle.

The regional biologists and F&W Managers are monitoring this and there are 2 issues being considered for reopening streams on a regional basis

• coordination with DFO - the regional stream closures were joint efforts
  • the extent to which fish that survived the drought need a period of recovery

Some streams have re-opened - the Stamp & the Horsefly. Other individual streams may follow before the 30th. I'd suggest you write a polite email to F&W and ask specifically about the Skagit.  Responses have been prompt and provide solid reasoning. With the Fraser now open for Pinks and the summer rush gone with Labour Day I think it might be time to open the Skagit.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 10:06:02 AM »

When I was in Manning Park the middle of last month the Sumallo looked fine but the upper Similkameen was just a trickle.

That's because the Skagit/Sumallo is a coastal watershed. The Similkameen is completely on the Leeward side of the coast range. Two completely different climate zones.
Like I said in my previous post.... lumping watersheds together is asking for disaster....but unfortunately, that is exactly what is now happening.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 10:39:45 AM »

thanks but I knew that. I still suggest you send an email with as little rant & rage enclosed as you can muster.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tylsie

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 12:12:32 PM »

Cause you know, the whole reason it was closed in the first place was to ensure the system wasn't flooded with people and overpressured, which is exactly what would happen if it opens before other area streams.

I don't understand why people find this so hard to understand! Unless every river and creek in Region 2 is able to be opened the amount of pressure that the Skagit would face would be unbearable. I am most familiar with rivers south of the Fraser, but a few of the tributaries of the C/V, and others. In my opinion they are not ready to be opened Yes the rain helped, but all it did was blow out the stagnant water and drop the temps. Levels are still low, and the fish are still clumped up in small deeper pools. To open them now would be a death sentence. Could the Skagit open and support an average number of anglers, yes, with out question. But it wouldn't be an avergae number, it would be at least 300% more and it cannot support that.

Robert_G

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 01:39:38 PM »

I don't understand why people find this so hard to understand! Unless every river and creek in Region 2 is able to be opened the amount of pressure that the Skagit would face would be unbearable. I am most familiar with rivers south of the Fraser, but a few of the tributaries of the C/V, and others. In my opinion they are not ready to be opened Yes the rain helped, but all it did was blow out the stagnant water and drop the temps. Levels are still low, and the fish are still clumped up in small deeper pools. To open them now would be a death sentence. Could the Skagit open and support an average number of anglers, yes, with out question. But it wouldn't be an avergae number, it would be at least 300% more and it cannot support that.

Again....you need to understand the uniqueness of the Skagit River. If you want that type of fishing, there is no other system in the Lower Mainland that offers it (or at least not any that are well known that I would dare mention on the internet), so what you're doing here is comparing apples to oranges. Just because the Chehalis and Stave are closed...and to what would be mostly salmon fishing this time of year does NOT mean everyone of those salmon anglers is going to pick up their fly gear and head to the Skagit. Do you see what I'm saying?

Again....you are comparing apples to oranges. Even when ALL the streams in region 2 are open....the Skagit is unique as you won't find that type of fishing on any other river or stream in this region. If someone wants to dry fly fish for decent size trout in a stream or river in region 2, they go to the Skagit.......not the Chehalis, not the Stave....they go to the Skagit....end of story.....so your 'crowded theory' holds 0 water.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:42:42 PM by Robert_G »