Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What happened to Riverside Fly and Tackle??  (Read 14123 times)

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
What happened to Riverside Fly and Tackle??
« on: August 31, 2015, 02:28:26 PM »

Was driving by Riverside Fly and Tackle in Poco and decided to buy some lures but the place looks closed down with blacked out windows. Their website is also down. There was no notice on the door or anything. Did they move somewhere or did they go out of business?  :o

doja

Re: What happened to Riverside Fly and Tackle??
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 02:34:58 PM »

Gone,  too close to sea run and ad economic times with poor dollar and Internet plus lack of loyal customer,  higher rent as the area is changing...  = gone...???

Too bad as I really liked Gary,  and Christian,  heck all the guys rocked (but Gary really stood out for good reason,  lol)  and gave me some great memories other have not done so... Very sad.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:03:24 AM by doja »

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 02:44:05 PM »

I really liked Gary too...hell of a guy! My daughter loved going to the shop with me because of the dog that was always there (Gus). Too bad, it was a nice little hometown tackle shop for me...Now I have to go all the way to Sea run...

Flubberdubber

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 10:28:10 AM »

Heard he up and blasted out with no warning. Maybe some suppliers on the "HOOK" for it.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 11:02:24 AM »

Ya, let's start a rumour >:(

fisherforever

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »

Heard he up and blasted out with no warning. Maybe some suppliers on the "HOOK" for it.
Flubberdubber you should shut your mouth, this is the type of post that starts rumours, totally uncalled for and should be deleted. Here are some quotes from anglers who frequented his business. "So sad a local guy had to call it quits. You just don't get the personal service in a big box store." "Sucks to lose a shop full of such passionate people." "Local guy running his own shop. one whom invested in his local community and rivers. Yea had a few quirks , but don't we all." "Too bad. One of my go to fly shops. Really liked Garry and Gus!" "I would stop by from time to time, as I really liked the shop and the staff. Garry is a great guy and ambassabour of our sport. I also like how he was always giving back to the community and involved with kids and youths. He's one of the best in my books! I'll miss his shop and wish him all the best and success in his future endeavors."
Looks like his business and staff were well liked (no, living in the valley I haven't shopped there). There could be many reasons he closed shop and that is his business.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 05:39:51 PM »

Flubberdubber you should shut your mouth, this is the type of post that starts rumours, totally uncalled for and should be deleted. Here are some quotes from anglers who frequented his business. "So sad a local guy had to call it quits. You just don't get the personal service in a big box store." "Sucks to lose a shop full of such passionate people." "Local guy running his own shop. one whom invested in his local community and rivers. Yea had a few quirks , but don't we all." "Too bad. One of my go to fly shops. Really liked Garry and Gus!" "I would stop by from time to time, as I really liked the shop and the staff. Garry is a great guy and ambassabour of our sport. I also like how he was always giving back to the community and involved with kids and youths. He's one of the best in my books! I'll miss his shop and wish him all the best and success in his future endeavors."
Looks like his business and staff were well liked (no, living in the valley I haven't shopped there). There could be many reasons he closed shop and that is his business.

I am sad that they closed i would always chose them over any other fishing store. Gary used to always give me a couple free roe bags every time I told him i was going fishing at the vedder. To bad they closed

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 06:13:32 PM »

Stopped in I forget how long ago, few months anyway and everything was marked way down.
Not a sudden closing.
They always had a great rod selection there I thought.

doja

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 01:07:19 AM »

X2!!!

Flubberdubber...   He did more for the sport than you probably ever will!!!  And his local River.... Gary always went well above and beyond, and Christian provided me with great info and insite gaining my highest respect! 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:10:32 AM by doja »

Outdoorsman

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 06:50:19 AM »

Gary was a good guy. He always was helpful with anybody in his store. He organized cleaning of the Coquitlam River every single year, where they hauled off anything from a candy wrapper to tires, to refrigerators out of that river......I too went to walk into the store and saw the doors locked a couple weeks back. Sad to see him go, but definitely was a great store.

dcajaxs

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 07:47:12 PM »

will be missed, was introduced to the sport at that store. 

ThatDeafGuy

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 10:37:15 PM »

Gary, if you're reading this right now, where the hell am I supposed to go where someone can give me good customer service in SIGN LANGUAGE.  That's right, Gary learned how to sign and was awesome.  Will miss you dude!  Whatever happened, that's life, sure must have been a hard decision to leave.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.

doja

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 04:33:09 AM »

Gary, if you're reading this right now, where the hell am I supposed to go where someone can give me good customer service in SIGN LANGUAGE.  That's right, Gary learned how to sign and was awesome.  Will miss you dude!  Whatever happened, that's life, sure must have been a hard decision to leave.

.... Wow! My mom is deaf so this really hits home and shows what a great community orientated guy he was... I really hope it was just something to do with the location (that area he was located is undergoing some redevelopment  Highrises) and there is a potential for a start up else where...  Hoping. I haven't lived there for years now so I'm thinking more has been or is slated to be developed (or planing to) ...?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 04:35:17 AM by doja »

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 08:13:15 AM »

http://www.thenownews.com/news/popular-fishing-store-shuts-down-in-poco-1.2041652

He publicly announced this decision over a month ago. So, no "hooking" business here...

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 09:57:01 AM »

Does anybody recall when Riverside used to be Jaymer's? The owner was Jay (forget his last name); the venerable Ted Peck worked there too.

I bought my very first level outfit from Jaymer's in the very early 1990's