Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: T tip loop ends  (Read 8628 times)

ALBA CHIEFISH

T tip loop ends
« on: August 30, 2015, 08:06:22 PM »

Hey guys.

Just wondering your preferred method of ending T tips.

I like the idea of a welded loop for ease,  however the last time i was in the shop (MY) they tied  very neat Slim Beauty knots. I suck at tying these as neatly and mine hold poorly in the field, so have been making loops with braid to 'loop to loop' my mono, however that cuts into the T tip loop and is as likely to fail in the field.   

How do you do it ?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 08:49:59 AM by ALBA CHIEFISH »

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: T tip loop ends
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 11:25:37 AM »

I have the shop (M&Y) weld a loop in one end of the T tip material and then I myself add a short 6-10" chunk of 25/30lb mono to the other end in which I tie a loop in for my leader loop/loop connection using a double surgeons knot (tie slowly to get it to lay nicely due to the heavy test line)

I use an Albright knot to tie the heavy mono to the T material

I have never had any of my knots fail. Tie them slowly, moisten them as you tighten and make sure they snug up properly
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 03:35:56 PM »

nail knot loop is very good way to put a loop in the end of a fly line. You can use a large needle or piece of tube to replace the knot tool in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HlF7pR8CHE

use 10 or 12 lb mono. You can set it with a drop of super glue after tightening

A perfection loop also can be used to put a loop at the tip of a fly line if it is a thin tip - won't work very well with skagit lines etc

http://www.animatedknots.com/perfection/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 04:14:07 PM »

I have the shop (M&Y) weld a loop in one end of the T tip material and then I myself add a short 6-10" chunk of 25/30lb mono to the other end in which I tie a loop in for my leader loop/loop connection using a double surgeons knot

Hook, mind if I ask why you put in this extra section of line and don't go loop to loop from fly line to leader?  Is it to minimize wear on the fly line loop? 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 08:02:39 AM »

this is an old favourite of mine - the braided mono loop. You can use this at either end of a fly line.

http://www.danblanton.com/blog/getting-looped/

For example I have an Airflo 40+ line that had a deep cut at the back of the head. I cut the line and put braided loops on the back of the head and on the running line, looped them together and the loop splice runs through the guide with hardly a bump. This loop was used to build switchable sink tips before the advent of welded loops & versatip lines

Though I have heard that Cortland no longer markets the braided mono line, there is a product sold as sturgeon leader that looks similar and I intend to try it soon.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 01:02:54 PM »

Hook, mind if I ask why you put in this extra section of line and don't go loop to loop from fly line to leader?  Is it to minimize wear on the fly line loop?

I add in the short butt section for exactly that reason. Thin mono can and will cut through the coating on your tips but with a short butt of mono you have nothing to worry about. While it will cut into your tips it won't go through them. If you buy premade tips you'll notice they only have a loop at one end so you can do whatever you like at the leader end, on a few of my poly tips I just tied a loop in the tip itself because they have a mono core

I don't trust nail knots like other people do because I have had them peel clean off the fly line in the past and these were done by a fly shop. This is why I use the Albright knot because it is through and wrapped around the thicker line and has an almost 100% breaking strength
Check out our new blog

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 10:33:38 AM »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 09:10:57 AM »

I add in the short butt section for exactly that reason. Thin mono can and will cut through the coating on your tips but with a short butt of mono you have nothing to worry about.

I have never had a thinner leader loop cut straight through the line. If you tie an albright on the loop you've lost the versatility of the loop which is it's whole purpose. I do sometimes do a loop to loop with a heavier (15 or 20 lb) section of mono to the loop on the tip of a fly line.

ajransom

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 09:45:43 PM »

I have the shop (M&Y) weld a loop in one end of the T tip material and then I myself add a short 6-10" chunk of 25/30lb mono to the other end in which I tie a loop in for my leader loop/loop connection using a double surgeons knot (tie slowly to get it to lay nicely due to the heavy test line)

I use an Albright knot to tie the heavy mono to the T material

I have never had any of my knots fail. Tie them slowly, moisten them as you tighten and make sure they snug up properly

This ^^^. Go to M&Y - they will sort you out.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 06:37:56 PM »

I have never had a thinner leader loop cut straight through the line. If you tie an albright on the loop you've lost the versatility of the loop which is it's whole purpose. I do sometimes do a loop to loop with a heavier (15 or 20 lb) section of mono to the loop on the tip of a fly line.

I'm not exactly sure how you misread what I wrote. I tie the heavy mono directly to the Tungsten tip then create a loop in that mono, then I'll make a loop in my leader to loop/loop connect them. If a sink tip has a loop built onto it already then I will just loop/loop my leader directly to it. So far however I haven't bought a premade tip that had loops at both ends.

Where the line will "cut into" the fly line or sink tip coating is if you loop/loop directly to it with thin mono or flouro. If sink tips did come premade with a loop at the leader end I would probably cut it off and do what I do now still.

Not sure where you thought I said to tie an Albright knot to a loop  ??? ??? ??? ???
Check out our new blog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 12:47:19 PM »

thanks for clarifying, I suppose my confusion was related to the title ("T Loop ends" not end) and your response was a bit vague since you specifically didn't mention knotting the butt section to one end. Loops, knot junctions and line coatings will all wear and need replacement from time to time.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »

thanks for clarifying, I suppose my confusion was related to the title ("T Loop ends" not end) and your response was a bit vague since you specifically didn't mention knotting the butt section to one end. Loops, knot junctions and line coatings will all wear and need replacement from time to time.

This is extremely true however thin 12lb or under mono will slice through a fly line or sink tip coating fairly quickly which is the reason for the heavy mono butt section  :D

When I loop/loop my lake leaders directly to my fly line I'll start with a short bit of 15lb or at the least 12lb if I forgot the 15 at home to slow the slicing through process  ::)
Check out our new blog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 12:09:24 PM »

I'm not going to disagree with your experience but I've connected 3x and 4x tippet to a sinking line without problems. The strength in a fly line is mostly in the core.  Mono won't cut through dacron period. Can't speak for stuff that isn't dacron so your mileage may vary.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 05:00:35 PM »

I'm not going to disagree with your experience but I've connected 3x and 4x tippet to a sinking line without problems. The strength in a fly line is mostly in the core.  Mono won't cut through dacron period. Can't speak for stuff that isn't dacron so your mileage may vary.

I never said it would go through the line itself but that it cuts through the soft coating down to the core. It's not a big issue however I like to keep my lines looking new for as long as I can
Check out our new blog