Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undercover COs  (Read 14892 times)

fossil

• I'm a llama!
Re: Undercover COs
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2015, 12:39:29 PM »

Why did that frustrate you? Only you can choose how to respond to other people.

If you accidentally foul hook a salmon in the ocean, you can keep it.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/salmon-saumon-eng.html

If fish are stacked up at the mouth of the cap, almost any technique will occasionally foul hook fish (buzz bomb, spoon, jig, fly - weighted or sink tip). There isn't enough flow to fish a dead drifted jig, which is one of the few methods that almost never foul hooks a fish.

You gave the reason, typhoon. It is illegal to "willfully" foul hook a salmon, but you can keep the fish if "accidentally" foul hook a salmon. It's a big grey area between "willfully" and "accidentally" in the regulation and poachers DO like grey area! In my mind, this kind of regulation even encourages more people to foul hook fish by "accident".

Same story for BB, it's not selectively but it is LEGAL (at least not been explicit prohibited). 

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2015, 01:59:06 PM »

For me the plain old salt water is if where ever you are standing there is never any water flowing from upstream of you to downstream of you.  The water around you is entirely controlled by the waves and tides.  It is up to the interpretation of a Conservation Officer who determines whether you are fishing in the stream or the salt water when they are assessing what you are doing.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 02:00:49 PM by fic »

Ambassador

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2015, 06:16:27 PM »

Good to see the CO's out a few times this year. Hope they are all using the same rulebook as the regulations are contradictory at times depending on where you happen to look. Here is one example of inconsistencies that I have found that could lead to some misunderstandings:

The DFO site says Capilano River has fishing open "Downstream of the Highway No. 1 Bridge, including tributaries"
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

There is only one Tributary that I know of below Highway 1 Bridge - Brothers Creek.
Provincial Fisheries site says "No Fishing" in Brothers Creek.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1517/fishing_synopsis_2015-17_region2.pdf

I wouldn't personally fish Brothers as I have grown to love it for other reasons, but really makes me wonder which official site is considered technically correct under the law, and that gets me wondering about how many "official" sites one must look at to ensure they are fully legal (at least 2 apparently). The DFO site is where one should look for updates and closures, but if one were new to fishing and only checked the DFO site - they would be quite likely be up more than just Brothers Creek withouty a paddle if a Conservation Officer saw them.

Technically below the train bridge is Saltwater - but in my opinion anyone (non-FN) who kept a snagged fish anywhere you are facing the other side of the river is fishing unethically. If you are on the beach fishing by the totem pole facing towards Stanley Park, Jericho or the stacked up tankers - different story. Never personally snagged a fish in saltwater so not sure what to make of that being legal.

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2015, 07:30:43 PM »

Brothers Creek has been closed to fishing for years but I can certainly see your argument. Regulations are often contradictory.

doja

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2015, 09:31:34 PM »

One must check the fresh regulations to see if an area is open to fishing first....  Brothers is not....  Simple. All other tributaries are open (flash floods,  storm drain,  lol) it is a fish water license after all and you check their first,  then the salmon suppliment/fishery notices, then go fishing.

Drewhill

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2015, 11:51:40 PM »

You gave the reason, typhoon. It is illegal to "willfully" foul hook a salmon, but you can keep the fish if "accidentally" foul hook a salmon. It's a big grey area between "willfully" and "accidentally" in the regulation and poachers DO like grey area! In my mind, this kind of regulation even encourages more people to foul hook fish by "accident".

Same story for BB, it's not selectively but it is LEGAL (at least not been explicit prohibited).

CO's know the difference between "willfully" and "accidentally". If more people think they can outsmart a CO then they deserve to get caught. Not only are COs trained to tell the difference, most have tonnes of prior fishing experience and have seen it all before.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2015, 03:30:53 PM »

I wouldn't personally fish Brothers as I have grown to love it for other reasons, but really makes me wonder which official site is considered technically correct under the law, and that gets me wondering about how many "official" sites one must look at to ensure they are fully legal (at least 2 apparently). The DFO site is where one should look for updates and closures, but if one were new to fishing and only checked the DFO site - they would be quite likely be up more than just Brothers Creek withouty a paddle if a Conservation Officer saw them.

If you are planning on fishing in freshwater (ie: Brothers Creek), then you MUST check the provincial regulations.  If you are planning on fishing for salmon then to need to also check the DFO regulations. Therefore, if you are fishing for salmon in freshwater then you must check TWO sites, if you are fishing in saltwater or if you are NOT fishing for salmon in freshwater, then you only need to check ONE site.
Not all those who wander are lost

VA7DDP

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2015, 11:28:08 PM »

CO's know the difference between "willfully" and "accidentally". If more people think they can outsmart a CO then they deserve to get caught. Not only are COs trained to tell the difference, most have tonnes of prior fishing experience and have seen it all before.

How about a 12/0 Single Barbless with a Roe Sack on it?  ;)

243Pete

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2015, 06:18:49 AM »

How about a 12/0 Single Barbless with a Roe Sack on it?  ;)
Roe sack the size of a soft ball? :P