Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undercover COs  (Read 14889 times)

Knnn

• Old Timer
Undercover COs
« on: August 29, 2015, 05:56:23 PM »

Last week I met a CO at the Mamquam just before it closed, who was dressed in regular clothes over his uniform.  He was checking barbs and licenses quietly and efficiently.

Today on the Seymour around mid day there were 5 COs (YUP 5), 2 in uniform and three undercover.  One was deep undercover, as in he was fishing next to me for at least 30 minutes, jigging a buzz-bomb.  I did not have a clue until he started checking barbs etc.

One of the COs walked out with someones tackle box and rod.

Good to see them out there in force.

Sorry for cross posting this to a few sites, I think its good to get this information out to a broad audience and to let folks know that COs are taking calls seriously, and probably reading these forums.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:00:05 PM by Knnn »

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Re: Undercover COs
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 06:36:49 PM »

If he caught something, would he be allowed to keep it?

Tangles

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 06:50:51 PM »

Good to hear, unfortunately two hours ago people were again landing them tail first :(

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 06:55:26 PM »

Seymour mouth is a complete joke, filled with a bunch of snagging idiots when the tide comes up.

243Pete

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 07:23:28 PM »

Works for me, they should have more CO's going around handing out tickets for some of the stupid crap I've seen this season. Best I've seen this season was a guy bottom bouncing for pinks in the Squamish, "Seriously? You are going to bottom bounce for pinks?" 8 foot leader, 3-4oz betty and walking out to his hips in water.

And I wonder what happens if a CO does catch something... probably catch and release. :P

redder

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 07:46:18 PM »

Always happy to remove the undesirables from the system.

Undercover works for me. catch the people breaking all the rules.

It is simple, no doubt they will catch offenders if they are there.

scottm

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 08:05:58 PM »

next time take a look at his gear as he is checking you because when I was checked the CO didn't even have a hook on his spinner. When I asked about his setup he said it makes it easier for catch and release  ;)

redder

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 08:15:14 PM »

next time take a look at his gear as he is checking you because when I was checked the CO didn't even have a hook on his spinner. When I asked about his setup he said it makes it easier for catch and release  ;)

LOL that is awesome.

It is the same way as they work in Ontario.
They will arrive fish and observe and then swoop in for the kill. ( i wish they got more kills though)

A little small talk and off they go.

I have gone around the Seymour mouth and picked up people's lost gear, and i am surprised that finding legal gear is a challenge.

why do we still sell salmon setups with barbs ? can it not be the other way around and have barbed hooks as the ones we need to buy for when we can use barbs. Most of the time it is not the right hook.

Apennock

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 08:34:51 PM »

And I wonder what happens if a CO does catch something... probably catch and release. :P

They should drag them up the bank first. 

243Pete

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 08:54:20 PM »

They should drag them up the bank first. 

The fish or the offender?  :P I'll go with the secondary.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 09:36:37 PM »

Seymour mouth is a complete joke, filled with a bunch of snagging idiots when the tide comes up.

Yeah it is a bit of a gong show, but to be honest all the people I saw that foul hooked the fish put them back, and most (not all) treated them fairly carefully which was good to see.

I did get awfully quite (almost peaceful) just after all the CO's showed themselves and for about an hour after they left.  I'll be generous and say it was the bad weather.......

Blackrt03

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 09:46:04 PM »

Lots of people break the rules. Good to see them out there.

Apennock

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 11:06:53 PM »

The fish or the offender?  :P I'll go with the secondary.
Oh, definitely the offender. 

hrenya

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 12:20:36 AM »

knnn , me and my buds were fishing cheakamus a couple weeks ago , when we were leaving we saw a guy with big bucket full of roe :)))) we laughted when we were passing by and he smiled . after we head to car , and saw a truck with fishery signs on it :D  that was  the guy .

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 12:38:14 PM »

One was deep undercover, as in he was fishing next to me for at least 30 minutes, jigging a buzz-bomb.  I did not have a clue until he started checking barbs etc.

Good to see this tactic. Of course everyone is on their best behavior when the CO makes their presence known, but the true measure is what they do when they don't think anyone of consequence is watching.

Was he wearing waders? Now that I think about it none of the officers I've encountered at the Vedder have had waders so some areas where I've observed offenses would be hard to monitor. If they could make their way in there under the pretense of being just a normal fisherman they could catch a lot of naughty people by surprise.