Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The frog boat  (Read 13337 times)

chomperman

The frog boat
« on: August 23, 2015, 10:39:16 PM »

Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever used one of these its called the frog boat. Saw it one a fishing show and heard some mixed reviews. I understand it is for still water fishing but does anyone know if it would be okay on a bigger lake like cultus close to shore?

www.onefrogtwo.com

Appears fun and easy to use for my son and I to fish in small lakes and rivers on a nice day. Better yet its made by a guy right in Langley!

I heard it takes on water easily is it true? 

What would be a better alternative to this for the same budget and weight class?

Thanks in advance.

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: The frog boat
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 11:03:20 PM »

Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever used one of these its called the frog boat. Saw it one a fishing show and heard some mixed reviews. I understand it is for still water fishing but does anyone know if it would be okay on a bigger lake like cultus close to shore?

www.onefrogtwo.com

Appears fun and easy to use for my son and I to fish in small lakes and rivers on a nice day. Better yet its made by a guy right in Langley!

I heard it takes on water easily is it true? 

What would be a better alternative to this for the same budget and weight class?

Thanks in advance.

A pontoon, more versatile, and if you get a pump you only need to worry about the frame.

chomperman

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 06:52:04 AM »

Sorry I forgot to mention my son is 3 yrs old. I looked at a 2 person pontoon but I couldn't trust my son to stay in a seat long enough. He likes to stand and move around a little. Other than an inflatable I don't see many options for a hard bodied boat that could be transported on a regular roof rack.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 09:03:18 AM »

I believe a flat botom boat would be a better solution for you and your son. In my opinion the Frog boat does not feel stable to me - I tried one at a friends and I swore I would never get into one again. Ask bbronswyk just how stable they are. I think he boat a Spratley the week after he was swamped. Cultas can have some big waves stirred up by boats.

Used tin boat even used inflatables are quite affordable.

It didn't work for me but it might for you. Try one before you buy one.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 09:37:32 AM »

You see 12 foot tin boats EVERYWHERE for a reason.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 10:36:52 AM »

Check craigslist for a zodiac style inflatable. I think you can get a 10' for around $1000. That is as safe as you going to get. I take my 2 and 4 year old out, in white rock with a 12' aquamarine and a 2.5hp outboard.

chomperman

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 11:33:11 AM »

Thanks for the quick responses and suggestions everyone. Will look into a used tin and zodiac boat. From what you have said I am starting to notice a pattern of negative reviews!

Anything I should look out for when buying a used tin flatbottom boat and/or inflatable?

sbc hris

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 11:40:28 AM »

I fish out of a 10' inflatable with my 2yr old. It works great. Very safe and stable. They can be had new for around $1000, and used for much less. If you do a forum search on the subject, you'll probably come up with some good info.

Humpy

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

doja

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 01:08:23 PM »

Nothing wrong with a frog boat...  It just has vary limited capabilities but if you don't want a heavy boat and fish small lakes with no boat traffic it works fine...

For YOU absolutely not. The inflatables are definitely the safest as you can sink tin boat.. For tin boats don't go less than 12'. I have access to a 10' and I just don't feel safe in it... Narrow boats are more tippy so you might be limited by your roof rack in regards to a tin boat not to mention a pain to move about as your kids are not helping,  lol. I'd look seriously at a inflatable but don't get a small one as there is less room. 10 to 12' is a good size (wouldn't go less) and if the kid falls and smashes his head on the sides you can just chuckle vs possible injury from a metal boat. They are also super stable.

chomperman

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 09:39:22 PM »

Thanks again everyone. You brought up a good point with the safety aspect of the inflatable. My 3 gear old already has a few bruises from his boxing matches with the living room sofa so that really knocked it out of the park decision -wise. Thanks everyone and for this forum! 

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »

I would be more concerned with rocks, barnacles, logs, hooks, crab traps, corners of the battery, etc puncturing an inflatable than I would the kid getting odd bump or bruise from a tin boat.

Also, in 10 years, the tin boat will worth either the same or more than when you buy it.  The inflatable will be deteriorating and will depreciate.

Don't get me wrong, I have an 8 foot zodiac type of inflatable that I use in place of a pontoon, I love it for that purpose. It also fits in my MX5.  So when I am fishing solo, I don't have to take my truck.  That said,  I also have a 14' tinny with a 15HP Merc which gets used 98% of the time.

I beach it anywhere, run in log infested waters, bounce of barnacle covered rocks, spill the odd bit of gas etc.  I just generally don't have be extra cautious like I do in my inflatable.  50% of my fishing is in estuaries and the Fraser, the other 50% in lakes.  If all I did was hit lakes, I might, MIGHT consider running just a larger inflatable.  But for me, the tinny is just a better option.

sbc hris

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 11:26:40 AM »

I would be more concerned with rocks, barnacles, logs, hooks, crab traps, corners of the battery, etc puncturing an inflatable than I would the kid getting odd bump or bruise from a tin boat.

Also, in 10 years, the tin boat will worth either the same or more than when you buy it.  The inflatable will be deteriorating and will depreciate.

Don't get me wrong, I have an 8 foot zodiac type of inflatable that I use in place of a pontoon, I love it for that purpose. It also fits in my MX5.  So when I am fishing solo, I don't have to take my truck.  That said,  I also have a 14' tinny with a 15HP Merc which gets used 98% of the time.

I beach it anywhere, run in log infested waters, bounce of barnacle covered rocks, spill the odd bit of gas etc.  I just generally don't have be extra cautious like I do in my inflatable.  50% of my fishing is in estuaries and the Fraser, the other 50% in lakes.  If all I did was hit lakes, I might, MIGHT consider running just a larger inflatable.  But for me, the tinny is just a better option.

What is your Zodiac made of, that you have to worry about the corner of your battery?? Mine is over 20 years old, and has never ever been punctured by a rock, a log, a hook, a battery, or anything else for that matter. You would have to be very careless to even get a hook through mine. I know lots of people who use inflatables, and not one has ever punctured theirs. And some of them are pretty careless. No, they aren't indestructible, but neither is a tin boat.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 12:09:13 PM »

Mine is a PVC boat, I have never had any issues.  Maxxon,
http://www.ballardinflatables.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=21&ParentCat=6

Well regarded, non-hypalon boat.  I have the high pressure air deck floor, C230 model. 

Stuff can work its way between the deck and the boat.  Gravel, hooks etc.  I am carefull and remove the floor at the end of each fishing day and clear out the dirt and debris that finds its way in there.

But then again, I only use it on lakes.

As a guy that owns and likes both boats.  I just prefer my tinny. I have no motivation to sell it and get a larger inflatable. 

My friend was a fishmaster (safety boat for the guests) at a large, famous salmon fishing lodge, and he preferred to use a very expensive zodiac with twin yammies.

YMMV

sbc hris

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 02:08:04 PM »

Good looking boats,  and unfortunately you can never have the best of both (tin vs inflatable) in one package. For just that reason I would soon like to aquire a tinny too. And you are quite right about keeping them clean, I'm sure that greatly extends their life.