Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pinks A Plenty!  (Read 11377 times)

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
Pinks A Plenty!
« on: August 23, 2015, 02:05:02 PM »

Only one for me though. Had 4 hook ups, but one did a fantastic leap about 40 feet away and my buzz bomb probably pulled the hook. She was a solid fighter. The wife got one on and promptly let it go 20 feet away. As much as I'm harvesting this year for smoketober fest 2015, it was nice to have a challenge today. Was fantastic weather, absolutely gorgeous views, and a bit of a back to basics day. And it let me watch the wife and see how far she has come, even though she only fishes 4 and a half days a year.

Also I broke her fly rod. So, you know, looking for a couch to sleep on!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

243Pete

Re: Pinks A Plenty!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 06:50:32 PM »

A good additude to have when fishing, some of my friends get realllllly pissed when they hook nothing. But like I tell them, it's fishing and not catching. I had a good day myself, my little bubble gum pink spoon got me my limit in less than an hour and a half. Got home before 9:30am today.  ;D

Breaking the wifes fly rod is a good way to end up in the dog house. :-X

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 09:18:32 PM »

Well, I did try my hardest. My buddy caught his first big fish and kind of panicked, tried to beach it on big rocks and the fish broke the leader. Watched the fish swim away with a pink spoon in it's jaw.

I hooked into a big peeler and made the mistake of trying to draw it into shallower water to fight it instead of bringing it under control close to me, so it was able to do a run and catch my buddies feet (who didn't know to get out of the water or at least be mindful of the fishes whereabouts) and lose the hook. That stung a lot. I was so pissed but a little reflection put that all on me.

It's interesting to watch so many people doing ostensibly the same thing, yet mostly the same people catch fish. I guess there's more to the story:)

243Pete

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 10:23:34 PM »

Well, I did try my hardest. My buddy caught his first big fish and kind of panicked, tried to beach it on big rocks and the fish broke the leader. Watched the fish swim away with a pink spoon in it's jaw.

I hooked into a big peeler and made the mistake of trying to draw it into shallower water to fight it instead of bringing it under control close to me, so it was able to do a run and catch my buddies feet (who didn't know to get out of the water or at least be mindful of the fishes whereabouts) and lose the hook. That stung a lot. I was so pissed but a little reflection put that all on me.

It's interesting to watch so many people doing ostensibly the same thing, yet mostly the same people catch fish. I guess there's more to the story:)

I've seen that happen so many times this season, people get really excited about hooking their first salmon/ pink, drag tightened down like the bolts to an engine block, and try to lift the fish like it's a small ocean perch. Watching a salmon swim by my legs with a bright colored spoon as a guy stands there in total shock as to what's happened.

That happens a lot too, its why people are always asking me why I dip my rod down to my sides or even submerge the tip of my rod under the water. The idea is sort of like leverage on the fishes jaw, I can generally keep my fish swimming back and forth in front of me or even have them do these figure eights without going across someone elses line/ path.
I had one friend who's fish slammed into my leg and started to beat my knee with its tail, sort of freaked me out only to look down at the open jaws of a male pink as it was thrashing around. We both had a good laugh after he landed it.  ;D

There is always more to fishing than meets the eye.  :P

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 10:52:15 AM »

Yep, there's only one way to gain experience. I expect that particular snafu won't happen again. Curious what the next one will be:)

kevzabob

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 01:19:11 PM »

I always wondered why guys have to pull their fish all the way up the beach almost to their car before jumping on it in a frenzied haste.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 01:25:43 PM »

I always wondered why guys have to pull their fish all the way up the beach almost to their car before jumping on it in a frenzied haste.

Long leader fishing -  muscle memory.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 04:38:44 PM »

Long leader fishing -  muscle memory.

^^^ QFT

The beach drag and subsequent flaying on the rocks are particularly disheartening to observe when the angler only then takes a looks at the fish to decide if they want to retain it.  If not, the fish is then unhooked and toed or kicked back into the water.  Grrr....  :( >:( :'(

How difficult is it to fight the fish until it's relatively quite in the water, where it is less likley to damage itself.  Then take a look at it and decide a) it's not a bi-catch and may need to be released unharmed, b) it's too old and moldy to be worth retained or c) its a keeper and then can be beached.

243Pete

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 05:34:37 PM »

Yep, there's only one way to gain experience. I expect that particular snafu won't happen again. Curious what the next one will be:)

Things happen and that is sort of how fishing is. You learn and gain experience and can also learn a lot from others in terms of what not to do or even how to do things.
Next might be the dreaded, "How did my fish get away? it wasn't that big and my line is in good condition..." only to look at where you tied the knot and bam! your knot unfurrled itself.  :o Or who knows.... Get out on the water and have some fun! I had fun today in Howe sound catching some of the odd wandering pinks, some of which are still chrome but most of them are darker/ humped now.

^^^ QFT

The beach drag and subsequent flaying on the rocks are particularly disheartening to observe when the angler only then takes a looks at the fish to decide if they want to retain it.  If not, the fish is then unhooked and toed or kicked back into the water.  Grrr....  :( >:( :'(

How difficult is it to fight the fish until it's relatively quite in the water, where it is less likley to damage itself.  Then take a look at it and decide a) it's not a bi-catch and may need to be released unharmed, b) it's too old and moldy to be worth retained or c) its a keeper and then can be beached.

Desperation, meat gathering and not into the idea of ethics and principles.

That reminds me of one guy I saw at Furry creek a while ago, he hooked a pink and walked backwards nearly 40 yards from where he was in the water to the large rocks lining the outer edges of the cove.  :o When his fish was out of the water he made a panick dash and flipped forwards and hit the ground hard.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 09:01:38 PM »

Harvesting doesn't equate to bad ethics or consideration. I am harvesting hard this year, but I've never pulled a fish into rocks unless I had to. I have no problem releasing a fish in a couple feet of water. It's just poor form, and can come from harvesters, fly guys, New and old timers. There's no rule saying if you're harvesting, be a dick.

juno

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 08:17:04 PM »

I thought fishing was a sport  I can buy pinks at superstore for under 5$  no licence needed

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 09:14:51 PM »

If you're only in it for the meat, that would be the easiest and most cost effective choice for sure. I will continue to fish for fun, and for Smoketoberfest 2015! 

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 11:34:29 PM »

I recently tried smoked pink for the first time and was bloody impressed, it was damn good.  I can now see why some folks stock up on them for the smoker.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 09:09:06 AM »

I recently tried smoked pink for the first time and was bloody impressed, it was damn good.  I can now see why some folks stock up on them for the smoker.

I think they're one of the best smoked fish, I don't use them for anything but.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 11:26:31 AM »

I smoked a bunch for the first time. Bloody marvelous.