Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beach spinning setups  (Read 5413 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Beach spinning setups
« on: August 20, 2015, 09:01:34 AM »

I just read the article in BC Outdoors dealing with beach fishing . The author suggested using lightweight rods in the 13 ft. range. Which manufacturers would make this type of rod? I had a quick look at Shimano products but could not find anything. Any suggestions ?
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

ride604

Re: Beach spinning setups
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 09:15:29 AM »

I believe Fenwick makes an HMX in a 12 foot 6, 4-10 lb line rating model.

243Pete

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 07:18:39 AM »

Depends on how you are fishing.
I personally prefer to use a 9-10 foot rod for chucking spoons and buzz bombs. The 9 foot gives me a bit more of a quick "Whip" of the wrist to get those lighter 1/8 oz spoons a fair distance on more flat areas in the ocean.
Only rods I can honestly think of in that length are the Diawa surf rods, but some of those are fairly heavy duty from 15-40lb line rating. only 13 foot rod I can think of from Shimano would be the centerpin Clarus rod.

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 08:04:17 AM »

Thanks for the response . I did a little more research and rods in the 10 foot range seem to be more than adequate. The author of the article may be using custom rods.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 09:08:42 AM »

I think Okuma and Daiwa make some long light/medium action rods.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 10:51:51 AM »

Try the Shimano Clarus Beach rod...there is a 9' version and a 10' 6 version. I use the 10' 6 version and it's great handling cohos and pinks.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 12:10:26 PM »

It was probably Gil that wrote that article. He mostly uses raven and rcr rods if I'm not mistaken. The rcr company went under this past year, so you can't get those anymore.

It would probably be beneficial to look for rods in the Ontario region or the eastern U.S.. They really like the noodle rods over there, which is what's ideal for long range casting off the beach. The only really nice one I've picked up around here was an okuma at cabelas, believe it was 13 ft and a 4-8 rating.

I've always found a 9 foot rod adequate and a 10'6" rod is more than enough. You want to have a rod that maxes out at 3/8 lure size, as you're mostly tossing smaller gear on the beach. Too high of a lure rating will mean harder casting with the small spoons. You can still use larger buzz bombs, etc on the light rods, just don't really step into it or you run the risk of overloading it and snapping your rod.

Don't get the 13ft claris... Complete garbage. They snap at the top section constantly. I broke 2 right out of warranty on their first 10 casts of the day using it as a pin rod. The 4th one I got is still sitting in my basement, broken. Got tired of warranty process over and over.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 08:33:50 PM »

I just bought a Shakespeare Wild Series Steelhead/Salmon rod yesterday at Army and Navy for 79$, came with a reel. Got it spooled with 10lb braid. My first cast with a small spinner using the same strength I was using on the rod I broke the day before put the lure clear across the water onto the bank. Very fortunately, no one was standing on that spot.

I don't have a lot of experience, but it was a big improvement over the Rapala rod previous.

8'6", 8-14lb line.

And it brought a fish in quite nicely:)

catch

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 11:50:21 PM »

I know it's not a 13 but,  hmxt 110mh-2-f, 11ft is a nice rod for the price. Casts well, and has landed many fish! Have had 1 for 2 years now. Also a second one that's about 1 year old. Both no issues. Longest rod I could find locally, that was not a crazy price.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 01:20:55 AM »

Why so long?

I understand why for River Fishing, but why long from shore?

golferturnedfisher

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 08:38:21 AM »

I just read the article in BC Outdoors dealing with beach fishing . The author suggested using lightweight rods in the 13 ft. range. Which manufacturers would make this type of rod? I had a quick look at Shimano products but could not find anything. Any suggestions ?

Lamiglas makes a great one, they have it at wholesale for 89 bucks
LX 96 LS   9′ 6″   2   1/8 – 5/8   6 – 12   2   Side Drif
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 08:39:58 AM by golferturnedfisher »

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 09:31:56 AM »

thanks for all the information , guys.   I love this forum.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »

I just bought a Shakespeare Wild Series Steelhead/Salmon rod yesterday at Army and Navy for 79$, came with a reel. Got it spooled with 10lb braid. My first cast with a small spinner using the same strength I was using on the rod I broke the day before put the lure clear across the water onto the bank. Very fortunately, no one was standing on that spot.

I don't have a lot of experience, but it was a big improvement over the Rapala rod previous.

8'6", 8-14lb line.

And it brought a fish in quite nicely:)

I also have a 10' 6" wild - AMAZING long 'ultralight' rod!  I ordered it from fish usa for $29.95US - free shipping on orders over $40, easy to add a couple of things to the order.  VERY sensitive and very easy to 'whip' lighter tackle.  Available in a LOT of choices - length, butt forward/aft etc.... VERY worth the price - with exchange was $38.00 plus $3 for the shipping company fee I use in Blaine... 
http://www.fishusa.com/product/Shakespeare-Wild-Series-Spinning-Rods 

I was using with 15# braid (I just tried spiderwire braid and am impressed - not ONE 'air knot' in over 15 hours of spin and buzz bomb casting!) on my Penn Fierce FRC3000 ($50 from Amazon - FRC4000 on sale for $40 right now http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Fishing-FRC4000-Firece-Spinning/dp/B005MEXZ3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440284150&sr=8-1&keywords=penn+fierce+4000).

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:58:09 PM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.