Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new to flyfishing  (Read 3358 times)

hrenya

new to flyfishing
« on: August 29, 2015, 11:52:31 PM »

I got a present from fishing buddy of mine , flyrod  Dragonfly Excalibur de1175-4 11`7 #5 line . Today I had a deal and bought fenwick dcc56 reel with floating line(Cortland 444 wf6 floating rocket taper) and sinking line(Cortland 444 sinking rocket taper type 2 fast/rapide) and also backing line(dragonfly 20lb). Is there any chance I can use all these items and make a beginner fly set-up for fishing trout ?

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: new to flyfishing
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 06:27:56 AM »

You can use the WF6 line and backing on there, this being a switch rod it's not the ideal setup but it will get you fish. You may want to do some research and take some casting lessons.

hrenya

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 07:06:11 AM »

the reason why its a switch rod is longer handle ? I saw most guy the have very short handle ... is it gonna be harder to learn how to cast with the rod I have?  or I should just buy shorter one with short handle ?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 12:42:24 PM »

As you said - beginner outfit that you can use for trout. Yes - of course you can start with that. You might find that you really like it and will stick with that set-up for a while. You'll probably find you might want to try something else.

A single hand 5wt would be more practical to start with - more comfortable to strip with but it all comes down to personal choice.

Research on the "Net to figure out how to use it and then go use it.

You may not have the best combo of lines to the rod but go for it. Put the 6wt floater on to start with.

You can start with a straight 8' leader of 8# mono. If you have time to practice in a field, tie on a little piece of bright wool instead of a hook. Remember you are casting the line, not the hook.

Try get a flyfisherman friend to help you with the casting and don't expect to launch 90-100' of line. Work on consistently getting three rod lengths of line out and you can fish with that.

Do the research and get some help. Only practice quality casting techniques - there is no use practicing poor casting techniques.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:45:27 PM by Rieber »

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 07:53:09 PM »

the reason why its a switch rod is longer handle ? I saw most guy the have very short handle ... is it gonna be harder to learn how to cast with the rod I have?  or I should just buy shorter one with short handle ?

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/switch-rod/

hrenya

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 09:29:34 PM »

thanks , it does look so complicated :) ill practice in a park during week ... I guess most important thing is to feel the line first , and try to lift it of the grass/water ....

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 06:28:41 AM »

thanks , it does look so complicated :) ill practice in a park during week ... I guess most important thing is to feel the line first , and try to lift it of the grass/water ....

If you're practicing standard fly casting a park will do, if you're practicing the Spey side of things you need water to create the anchor from which the power of the cast is generated.