Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what fish is it?  (Read 10727 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: what fish is it?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 07:37:04 PM »

😏
Not all those who wander are lost

bunnta

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 07:52:28 PM »

2nd is a coho, look at the tail difference between the pinks and that one. pink got big spots...where as coho don't have much spots and some dont even have any or mostly near the top of the tail

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 08:16:22 PM »

I chose Coho because of the eye. Socks have big eyes and always have a "stunned" look. Coho look like predators.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 12:34:00 AM »

more likely than not...coho, from the formation of the scales...pronounced eye socket giving it a high cheek bone appearance and silver streak like "painting" on the caudal.

243Pete

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 06:56:45 AM »

Possibly a coho or a sockeye, it's very hard to tell with the image as it is a tad dark.

Tenz85

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 09:03:40 AM »

Crappy part about this thread is there is no prize for the lucky winner.

tworivers

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »

Looks like pound and a half Kokanee to me. 8)

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 09:52:21 AM »

The 2nd fish is definitely a coho and the rest are pinks. The overall look of the fish is a dead ringer for me.

Kever

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 10:01:59 AM »

Can someone post up a good link to help identify salmon? Seems pertinent now that Coho and Chinook are mixed in with the pinks. I could use some review myself, it's been a while since I've looked at the differences. Also, can someone confirm the salt water regs on salmon and steelhead? No retention of wild Coho or Steelhead and everything else is kosher? Thanks.

Sagefishr

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 10:09:05 AM »

Second fish is a coho.

dobrolub

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 10:15:06 AM »

Well... I haven't fished these species before, and I could tell you that even if you read and remember everything in the guide identifying your first few fishes is HARD!

First of all your hands are shaking. The adrenaline is high. Your heart is pumping! Eyes can't really focus and you have a stupid smile on your face.

Then as you're pulling it out someone from across the shore yells "Congrats! You've got a coho!". Great! They can tell from across the river but all you still see is that it's a fish.

And you keep having the dream of your float going down for quite a few nights after... All I am saying it's not easy to identify you first few catches.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 10:17:51 AM »

Rod always posts up a FISH ID thread every fall...

have a look
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=36384.0

Kever

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 10:24:14 AM »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 11:16:38 AM »

Can someone post up a good link to help identify salmon? Seems pertinent now that Coho and Chinook are mixed in with the pinks. I could use some review myself, it's been a while since I've looked at the differences. Also, can someone confirm the salt water regs on salmon and steelhead? No retention of wild Coho or Steelhead and everything else is kosher? Thanks.
This link includes identification as well as regulations for retention. Retention of wild Coho or Trout is location dependent, as are limits for all Salmon.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/salmon-saumon-eng.html

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 11:49:23 AM »

Sandman's comments to use a couple or three features to identify a fish is sound; I recall that very same advice on a similar thread a year or two ago.

Caudal fins can be deceiving. Pink and chinook tails are heavily spotted and at first glance can be confused. A coho with just a few faint spots on the upper lobe of the caudal can be confused for other species, as can a coho with spots on both lobes.

I caught a jack spring a few weeks ago off the beach. I was expecting a coho, and spots on the upper lobe of the caudal confirmed my initial assumption. Then I caught a whiff of the little bugger! Hold on... :)  A more thorough look at the entire caudal, and I think a peek at the gums too, confirmed the unexpected. Point being, you can be fooled by your expectations.