Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what fish is it?  (Read 10726 times)

standalone

what fish is it?
« on: August 05, 2015, 11:31:48 AM »

The special one in photo. somebody say it's coho,others say sockeye, not sure if they are joking.

fish is not mine.copy from another forum.

sbc hris

Re: what fish is it?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 11:45:38 AM »

The one in there looks a little coho-ish, but it's hard to tell from that photo. The rest are pinks.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:47:47 AM by sbc hris »

dobrolub

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 11:49:42 AM »

second top might be coho

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 11:57:45 AM »

Know your fish people!! >:(

Look at the small scales and large spots on the tail.

Assuming we are talking about the one with it's mouth wide open (1 up from bottom).

That is a PINK salmon.

Order from top is pink, probably coho (would have to see mouth/gums), pink, pink.

It amazes me the amount of "smart" people who fish, who memorise all sorts of random crap, but can not take an hour or so to do some fish identification research and memorise the identity of 4 or 5 salmon they are likely to catch.

Should be such a test to get your salmon tag.

Couldn't tell you how many times I've been fishing on the river and had someone with a fish flapping on the shore flag me down to help them tell what kind of fish it is. "Coho?!" No, that is a chum. "Spring on!!" No you cast across my line and hooked into my gear.

Really think getting a fishing license should be more like getting your CORE to hunt. I've never heard of a hunter shooting a duck thinking it was a grouse. Short of being a kid and maybe not expecting to catch anything on your walmart spinning set up, if you are an adult and have no idea what species this chrome slimey salmon thing is on the end of your hook you should stay off the water until you get your learn on.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:05:38 PM by Spawn Sack »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 12:07:21 PM »

Pink

Coho

Pink

Pink

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 12:11:59 PM »

Know your fish people!! >:(

Nice indignation. Everyone else is assuming we are talking about the second from top.
My guess would be Coho, but there isn't enough information for a certain identification.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »

Haha yes you are rigth it would be that one. A case of "one of these things is not like the other."

Just cheeses me off the % of people I bump into in the sumemr/fall who can not tell what type of salmon they have hooked. Just IT'S A SALMON! Club it now and ask questions later.

Aaaaannnnddd, this is why I prefer steelheading. Weeds out the window lickers.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 12:36:45 PM »

Nice indignation. Everyone else is assuming we are talking about the second from top.

Truly, and none have their mouth wide open. The second from the top has larger scales (as opposed to the small scales of a pink), but the tail is too dark to see if there are spots and it is hard to tell if those are spots on the back or not, although the snout appears too blunt for a coho.  You really need 3 or at least two features to confidently ID a fish, so without a look at the gums and a better view of the spots (or lack of them), I can see how arguments for either coho or sockeye could be made.
Not all those who wander are lost

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 12:57:48 PM »

Looks like a coho. If you look closely at the bottom right corner of the fishes tails 3 have large oval spots and the second top one does not. Also larger scales and somewhat darker back.( not a way to ID coho but just to show the difference.)

Drewhill

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 01:52:58 PM »

From top to bottom:
Sturgeon
Rock Cod
Flounder
Bullhead

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 02:00:02 PM by Drewhill »

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 02:13:35 PM »

delete
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 02:15:30 PM by canso »

dobrolub

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 02:20:14 PM »

Know your fish people!! >:

Well, that sounds like number 11 and should read "Know thy fish"

Tenz85

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 03:45:29 PM »

My first reaction is coho. I'm not certain of the regs by sushine coast but I'm guessing the adipose should be healed over.

Tenz85

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 03:48:53 PM »

Or the island for that matter.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 04:39:49 PM »

Truly, and none have their mouth wide open. The second from the top has larger scales (as opposed to the small scales of a pink), but the tail is too dark to see if there are spots and it is hard to tell if those are spots on the back or not, although the snout appears too blunt for a coho.  You really need 3 or at least two features to confidently ID a fish, so without a look at the gums and a better view of the spots (or lack of them), I can see how arguments for either coho or sockeye could be made.

Apologies, first, the fish one up from the bottom for some reason appeared to have it's mouth open. Clearly it does not. I pretty much missed the whole point of the original post :o Was having a crappy mroning and probably should have stayed away from commenting on this forum.

That being said people who fish for salmon yet have no clue how to identify a jack spring from a coho, or whatever, really drive me up the wall. Still think there should be a test to get a fishing license!