Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hole in the wall  (Read 8066 times)

armytruck

• Old Timer
Hole in the wall
« on: July 31, 2015, 02:17:34 PM »

Where the heck is " Hole in the wall " , Horseshoe Bay  :P . I've heard reports about it . Probably fished near it but really never new exactly where it is !!!! . As well how's the fishing at the "Hole in the Wall " . Is there an actual hole in the wall , cliff , bank , Tree , moss , mountain , road that identifies itself , or is it just some fictitiuos spot that someone drunkin railroad dude with a load of dynomite made up back in the early 1900 's . lol  ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

armytruck

• Old Timer
Re: Hole in the wall
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:34:27 PM »

I found this on some weird hiking forum  :P.

Just outside of and north  of the ferry terminal, on the east  shore.
The "Hole" itself is now probably overgrown and invisible, but about 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile out of the bay.
Was a classic place to mooch for salmon using live herring purchased fresh on your way out from Sewell's (do they still sell live herring?).
12-14 or 16 foot boats ruled in the old days and it was accessible, good, fishing.

Thanks anyway fishers  :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 02:36:51 PM »

it's a few hundred yards north east of the ferry docks and yes there was and may still be a hole in the form of an old exploratory mine shaft. This was a very popular place to mooch for salmon through much of the year back when mooching was common. Today the name usually  refers to the stretch from immediately outside Horseshoe Bay to Sunset Marina.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 11:29:19 AM »

thanks armytruck and ralph I was just about to ask the same question as we plan on heading out that way tomorrow never fish with herring before are there any other good techniques to use we do have downriggers

thanks
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 12:18:05 PM »

Mooching with live herrings. Good old days.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 03:33:58 PM »

Mooching with live herrings. Good old days.
I may have posted this before but took my wife there in I think in 1967, a great year as we won the Stanley Cup. ;D Rented a boat from Sewells Marina and we mooched a little lol and also my wife then hooked a Chinook that we landed, was around 15 pounds, a great year on many accounts. ;D ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 04:39:53 PM »

Things have tanked since. Few people mooch anymore ( I mean fishing  ;)) A lost art. Your Leafs have also tanked since.

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 08:35:13 PM »

ok ok lets not bring the leaf craft into this
so I picked some anchoives
and the owner of the store sold me some
head rigs but they have treble hooks
they are de-barbed
is this leagal in the ocean
this kind of fishing is new to me
so im just lookin for some clarification
dfo site just mumbo jumbo

president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

yoda

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 09:13:13 PM »

Took a saltwater course many years ago from a very good teacher, Don Macdonald. His wife used to write recipes for b.c. outdoors.
Anyway, he took us out to that area, and also all the way to sunset marina area and spent a whole day teaching a group of us how to fish it.
He said the most productive was to troll, but never in a strait line, drive like a drunk, swerving back and forth. It made a whole lot of sense'
because when you do that, it speeds up the troll on one side, while slowing the other side down. It is a similar trick to cutting the troll speed
off and on with your motor, sometimes just the little bit that makes a strike possible. My guide buddy in Campbell river does that all the time.
Hope that helps, I have done this and it does produce.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 11:14:07 AM »

ok ok lets not bring the leaf craft into this
so I picked some anchoives
and the owner of the store sold me some
head rigs but they have treble hooks
they are de-barbed
is this leagal in the ocean
this kind of fishing is new to me
so im just lookin for some clarification
dfo site just mumbo jumbo
Trebles are fine in that area

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 12:58:38 PM »

Took a saltwater course many years ago from a very good teacher, Don Macdonald. His wife used to write recipes for b.c. outdoors.
Anyway, he took us out to that area, and also all the way to sunset marina area and spent a whole day teaching a group of us how to fish it.
He said the most productive was to troll, but never in a strait line, drive like a drunk, swerving back and forth. It made a whole lot of sense'
because when you do that, it speeds up the troll on one side, while slowing the other side down. It is a similar trick to cutting the troll speed
off and on with your motor, sometimes just the little bit that makes a strike possible. My guide buddy in Campbell river does that all the time.
Hope that helps, I have done this and it does produce.
Yes I do do that type of trolling , however I only have one down rigger . The other problem with the style is , when your amongst other boats you don't want to confuse the other boats what your doing . You sometimes get yelled at cause they thing your going right towards them and cut into them . I ended up trolling up at Porteau Cove first light yesterday for a few hours with no joy . Not many fish showing in the area . The shore guy's at Furry Creek looked a little disappointed . I watched around 30 people fly fishing , casting lures without anything landed that I could see . I ended crossing over to the west side of the sound to find the schools of pinks  ;) , toward  Port Mellon . Trolled through the pinks but didn't entice anything , tried the flys close to shore and they weren't chasing them :-\ , tied on a pink BR Jig and bingo bango  ;D until it broke off on a big pink  . That was the only jig I had . The other guys were smoking them on a small buzz bombs that I didn't have , I only had 3'' BB they didn't care for . Great fun though .Very hot out there but calm . A little breeze in the afternoon felt good as well as in the am . With that wind came a little bit of a chop coming back to the boat launch with the 14 footer  :P . Good luck and Tight Lines