Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beach fishing in waders  (Read 1844 times)

Sir Snag-A-Lot

Beach fishing in waders
« on: July 31, 2015, 01:50:44 PM »

Just wondering if you guys use your "good" waders when beach fishing in the salt.  I've always used cheap neoprenes in the the past.  I now have a pair of nice breathables and am concerned about the effect of the salt on the waders long term.  Do you find that the salt damages the waders? Just wash them off when you get home?  How about your wading boots?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Beach fishing in waders
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:34:38 PM »

I'd be more worried about scrapes from barnacles.  Wading wet not an option?  I've heard the water is pretty warm this year.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 02:37:54 PM »

Yes & with no issues.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 02:43:43 PM »

Just wondering if you guys use your "good" waders when beach fishing in the salt.  I've always used cheap neoprenes in the the past.  I now have a pair of nice breathables and am concerned about the effect of the salt on the waders long term.  Do you find that the salt damages the waders? Just wash them off when you get home?  How about your wading boots?
I've used Breathables, Rubber, and Neoprene in the salt and it doesn't seem to cause any damage at to any one of them.  The only thing I find is the wading boot shoelace eye lid will get rusted a little bit.  For cheap waders, I now prefer rubber over neoprene because it's much lighter. The only issue with rubber is there no padding on the boot and I have to wear 3 pairs of thick socks to act as padding.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »

As was mentioned early, getting pinprick holes in waders happens quite often from those of us who are careless when taking fish pictures and landing fish on the beach. Every time I kneel down to land a fish I try to make sure i'm putting my knee on sand and not crushed mussel shells or barnacle rocks. I've put 3 holes in my waders this year from beach fishing :'( Haven't noticed any negative effects from the salt water though