Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The big tip  (Read 6007 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
The big tip
« on: July 30, 2015, 12:24:26 PM »

For the first time in my life, I'll be paying someone to take me fishing. It's for a stag and we've got a few boats booked for sturgeon fishing. Not sure with who as I'm not organizing it. I do know it's an 8hr trip and it's 4 per boat.

How much should the tip be (abouts) for one boat of 4 if we have a good time and get into a few fish?

mikeyman

Re: The big tip
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 12:36:26 PM »

Depends if u catch fish or not...I would do 20 a person...80 bucks.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 02:39:55 PM »

We paid about 60 bucks tip for a 4 hour trip.  Catching was ok, but not great. Then again, they are there to help you fish not catch. It's not entirely their fault if the catching is poor :)

ejeffrey

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 06:29:03 PM »

I'd say $100 if everything goes smoothly and you all get a chance at a fish or two.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 09:05:45 PM »

$40 - $60 per person is often recommended.

zacrum

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 09:10:51 PM »

I would say 20 bucks a person  depending on service obviously   if they are not making you feel invited   then keep it low   but if they make you feel at home and like they are already one of your friends   it shows good people skills and that they enjoy taking you out   so make them know you appreciate it

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 09:30:07 PM »

Yep, that's how much we usually give...

anorden

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 11:29:02 PM »

Recommended by who? Guides?!?

Gone_Fishin_

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 08:09:42 AM »

I would like to know why soceity has dubbed certain jobs, positions, services worthy of extra money. How come i dont get a tip when i go over and above for a customer? Because im paid a wage and thats my job, is to service to customer.

When i'm already paying a hefty fee to go out fishing, i am paying for you to do your job. Which is to please the customer as best as you can to ensure when he decides to go out again he calls my company and wants one of my boats. I have 2 friends who guide and 1 is in the same thought as i am, he is obviously pleased when he does receive a tip but doesnt expect it at all and at times will often refuse. My other buddy, gets upset sometimes when he deosnt think he received a fair tip, why? you were working, just like the rest of soceity, it was the job you picked (which by far is one of the best you can have IMO)

Like the pizza delivery guy, your getting paid to bring me my pizza, why should i give you extra when im already paying a fee for you to bring it to me...

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:55:55 AM by Gone_Fishin_ »

mikeyman

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 08:25:20 AM »

Wow...minimum wage and price of gas pizza delivery many jobs depend on tips. I am sure you make more than minimum wage. Try living on it now. Tips for service...bad service...no tip...good service...tip. I had a few of those type of jobs while in school. Not worth it without tips. Gas and supplies expenses for guide...hard work...deserves tip. But if u want to be the guy  that the service workers talk about after u leave without tipping totally up to u. Just don't order your food from the same place more than once...lol. Like returning your food and asking for a new one.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:32:02 AM by mikeyman »

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 08:30:28 AM »

Maybe out on a 10hr salmon trip across the straight, after fish are cleaned and bagged. 

But the OP is talking a sturgeon boat.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 08:54:56 AM »

There really is no right or wrong answer here.

In my opinion 4 people at $50 bucks each = $200 is extremely generous.  $25 each = $100 which still seems quite generous but pretty reasonable.  Heck even a single $50 bill sounds reasonable.

Gone_Fishin_

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 09:02:17 AM »

Wow...minimum wage and price of gas pizza delivery many jobs depend on tips. I am sure you make more than minimum wage. Try living on it now. Tips for service...bad service...no tip...good service...tip. I had a few of those type of jobs while in school. Not worth it without tips. Gas and supplies expenses for guide...hard work...deserves tip. But if u want to be the guy  that the service workers talk about after u leave without tipping totally up to u. Just don't order your food from the same place more than once...lol. Like returning your food and asking for a new one.

Never said once i didnt tip, i was just implying why is certain jobs/services just expected to recevie a tip ? if im at a restaurant and i receive above and beyond service then yes i tip, if my pizza showed up hot and fast and the person delivering it was polite and i got what i ordered then yes i tip as well. I get bothered when someone just does their job, to the minimum requirements and they "expect" a tip because that is the job/service they are doing. No the job is the wage you signed up for. As for fuel/food etc, that is included into the cost of your set prices.

If i order food and it is wrong or doesnt taste right, damn rights ill return it. I wont though, ask for another plate due to the fact that i can not "trust" these "service workers" that go in the back blab to other co-workers about this guy at their table who doesnt like his food, while they all laugh and do whos knows what to my food now. I'll either order something else or im leaving. I came to this restaurant to pay a high price for food that i expect to be spot on and taste good.

Sorry didnt meant to derail your thread Noahs Arc. Just gets me when people expect a tip when your already paying a hefty fee for something. A tip should never be expected but thankful for when you do recevie one, as well not be pissed when you dont get one.

mikeyman

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 11:21:07 AM »

Don't disagree at all...just misunderstanding...

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 10:06:01 PM »

Thanks all for the input.