Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: disabled new to fishing in bc need advice  (Read 11647 times)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: disabled new to fishing in bc need advice
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 11:10:53 AM »

Please check the Regs!
The Fraser is closed to Salmon fishing at this time.
(Unless its changed in the last few days)
You have to wait till it's open; not just when they are in there.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »

Chillax brah. No one said for him togo now.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 11:48:05 AM »

I realize that.
But the way some have typed in their replies it would be easy for the original poster to misconstrue the information as well as all the looky-loos who think forums print the gospel.
There are already a number of ignorant (accidently or intentionally) folks fishing with salmon gear on the river as well as other flows beyond boundaries because they here that salmon are in the river and "it was allowed before..."

I wasn't ragging or flaming, just pointing it out ;)

brumy

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 12:00:49 PM »

I realize that.
But the way some have typed in their replies it would be easy for the original poster to misconstrue the information as well as all the looky-loos who think forums print the gospel.
There are already a number of ignorant (accidently or intentionally) folks fishing with salmon gear on the river as well as other flows beyond boundaries because they here that salmon are in the river and "it was allowed before..."

I don't want to course trouble

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 12:16:16 PM »

Fraser River remains closed for salmon fishing (this means anglers cannot target any salmon species, even catching and releasing) until July 31st. Fisheries and Oceans Canada is considering extending that closure. The earliest possible opening will be August 3rd. You can expect an announcement this week.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 02:48:07 PM »

You're not causing any trouble, it's just that some folks base their statements on past experience based on prior openings and/or don't fully explain leading some who don't read the Regs properly to that conclusion that they can fish.
Good karma and helpful folks await you...

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 03:00:11 PM »

Do yourself a favour and stop in at a Tackle shop and pick up a copy of the Regulations.
You have some rivers nearby but they aren't allways open as has been said.
Get both Tidal and Non Tidal regulations and study them well.
Its confusing at best and I have lived and fished here my whole life so can only imagine how much more difficult it must be for someone new to the area.
PS you can also look up the regs. online but is nice to have the hardcopy for reference when out and about.
Welcome to Canada. :)

fisherforever

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 04:37:39 PM »

For brumy and probably others  ;D Freshwater regs - http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/   DFO Salmon in freshwater regs - http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fwmap-carte-eng.asp   DFO latest fishing changes and updates - http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?CFID=15306134&CFTOKEN=84820056

Tangles

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 05:59:06 PM »

I realize that.

I think you need to relax a little bit on this one. In my reply I said the OP will have a chance at Fraser pinks in "about a month". Lower Fraser will be open for all at this time including the gillnet fleets. Not to mention it's everyones personal responsibility to check the most current regs before you go.

brumy

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 06:10:28 PM »

I think you need to relax a little bit on this one. In my reply I said the OP will have a chance at Fraser pinks in "about a month". Lower Fraser will be open for all at this time including the gillnet fleets. Not to mention it's everyones personal responsibility to check the most current regs before you go.
I see I cannot go fishing yet I just need to now where I can go when I am allowed  to
as like the nick you can only fish in certain places I live on 152 just want to now where I can fish near public transit as I don't drive

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 06:32:20 PM »

Tangles: I was not pointing a finger at anyone!
But! Generalizations always create confusion.
Have a CHANCE can mean a couple things:
They open the river for fishing
Or...
Someone has the opportunity.
Or

When it comes to variable regulations some obvious ones should be pointed out as Rod has done.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 06:33:18 PM »

The Nic you can fish downstream from 208th where it crosses near Fraser hwy when it's not closed.

brumy

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 06:37:37 PM »

The Nic you can fish downstream from 208th where it crosses near Fraser hwy when it's not closed.
thanks for that no where near 152 then

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 06:43:52 PM »

56 blocks off in farm country:  a tuff walk even when your young and piss off a cab driver...

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 08:39:05 PM »

Hi John/brumy, I have some suggestions for you, however it would be helpful for me to know how far your disability will permit you walk once you get off the bus/skytrain.

Cheers.