Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help, stripping down a rod  (Read 9210 times)

Danny21

Help, stripping down a rod
« on: July 18, 2015, 11:11:15 AM »

Hi FWR,

I am hoping to rebuild a rod that was passed down to me, but I need to strip it down first. I have done some research and watched a few videos but I also wanted to check on here. The most common theme out there-that I found was to use a lighter (heat) and a razor blade or cutting object to slowly remove the epoxy. I have done this and I have removed all of the guides but it seems like a very time consuming task for the rest of the rod.... is this the best way or do some of you more experienced builders have any other ideas or tips you could offer me? also I have started to work on the cork but I am a little confused as to how to remove it and the reel seat without damaging the rod blank underneath. Again if any of you could offer some ideas or help it would be much appreciated :)

Thanks,
Dan

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Help, stripping down a rod
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 12:18:36 PM »

If you live anywhere near Chilliwack, or plan on coming out this way, I can show you ... too much could go wrong by trying explain it all here.

Danny21

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 01:59:14 PM »

If you live anywhere near Chilliwack, or plan on coming out this way, I can show you ... too much could go wrong by trying explain it all here.

Wow, I would really appreciate that. I will send you a PM next time I am heading out that way

Thanks,

Dan

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 03:25:03 PM »

;)

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 05:04:39 PM »

Dave is one of the best......

Danny21

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 01:22:09 PM »

Hi Dave, I have sent you a PM, please let me know if you haven't received it.
Thanks,
Dan

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 03:51:38 PM »

Have not received it ... I will be out camping for the next 6-7 weeks or so, and will only be collecting emails every few days. Hope we can meet up towards the end of September.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 10:00:31 PM »

Dan,

I was a little intimidated prior to stripping the cork off for the first time but after reading about the topic online - I grabbed my water-pump pliers and a trash pail and my fishing rod and started at the base and began nipping a bit off at a time. After a few shallow bites, you quickly learn how much you can nip off at a time. It's more like a pinch and roll or twist and it comes off really quite easy. Regarding the seat, if it's plastic, I use a razor knife with enough blade sticking out just to get through the plastic. I take a few shallow cuts down the length of the seat in a forceful but controlled push with my thumbs. I don't know how else to describe it. Sometimes that's enough to spread apart easy - sometimes it needs careful help with a screwdriver, sometimes a second cut to pull it off. Whatever works but you can't put pressure or cuts into the blank. Aluminum seats need heat to soften the epoxy.

Then I open up the razor knife and with the blade on the flat, I start shaving/whittling off the epoxy and cork bits. It doesn't take long and it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect but you'll get nearly all of it off in less than an hour from the time you start. Get as much epoxy off as you can then give it a wipe with isopropyl alcohol and you're good to start the build. It's all easier than it seems.

Others here will or may tell you something different. There are always different ways to do something and I don't insist that my way is perfect - it's worked for me with what tools I had on hand at the time.

Do little research and go for it. The worst thing that can happen is you bugger up the blank but you'll learn what didn't work and the time won't be wasted if you pln to do other rods.

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 03:20:58 PM »

Danny I tried to send you a PM but your "box" is full.  Have another rod builder to recommend to you.  Call Rod 604-798-3040

Danny21

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 05:49:54 PM »

Dan,

I was a little intimidated prior to stripping the cork off for the first time but after reading about the topic online - I grabbed my water-pump pliers and a trash pail and my fishing rod and started at the base and began nipping a bit off at a time. After a few shallow bites, you quickly learn how much you can nip off at a time. It's more like a pinch and roll or twist and it comes off really quite easy. Regarding the seat, if it's plastic, I use a razor knife with enough blade sticking out just to get through the plastic. I take a few shallow cuts down the length of the seat in a forceful but controlled push with my thumbs. I don't know how else to describe it. Sometimes that's enough to spread apart easy - sometimes it needs careful help with a screwdriver, sometimes a second cut to pull it off. Whatever works but you can't put pressure or cuts into the blank. Aluminum seats need heat to soften the epoxy.

Then I open up the razor knife and with the blade on the flat, I start shaving/whittling off the epoxy and cork bits. It doesn't take long and it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect but you'll get nearly all of it off in less than an hour from the time you start. Get as much epoxy off as you can then give it a wipe with isopropyl alcohol and you're good to start the build. It's all easier than it seems.

Others here will or may tell you something different. There are always different ways to do something and I don't insist that my way is perfect - it's worked for me with what tools I had on hand at the time.

Do little research and go for it. The worst thing that can happen is you bugger up the blank but you'll learn what didn't work and the time won't be wasted if you pln to do other rods.

Hey Rieber,

Thanks a bunch for your help. I am gonna try this method and see how it works out. Do you heat up the rod before you start peeling the epoxy off with the razor?

Thanks,
Dan