Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chironomids floating on water surface  (Read 2769 times)

fishingwithegg2

Chironomids floating on water surface
« on: July 15, 2015, 12:06:13 PM »

One day I was fishing and noticed that fish were sipping things off the surface as usual.

Great I thought, and tied on an adams imitating the midges that were flying around. Surprisingly the fish ignored it so I took a closer look at the water surface and found there were plenty of chironomids floating just beneath the surface film. I didn't see any other hatches so I'm pretty sure the fish were eating these floating chironomids.

Which got me thinking, why are there no floating chironomid patterns around? I did a little searching and all the chironomid patterns I could see are weighted sub-surface.

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Chironomids floating on water surface
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 12:32:51 PM »

Chironomid emerger patterns, or your typical pupa patterns with a greased leader so they sit in or just under the surface film is the common approach.

fishingwithegg2

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 01:19:37 PM »

Ah thank you DanL. I was missing the keyword "emerger" and that significantly changed the search results.   :P
One more category to add to my flybox!

Old Blue

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 03:11:19 PM »

I've done well using a indicator and chironomid 2 1/2 to 3 ft down in situations like that when they're sipping and not really "slurping" with the bigger gulps with the larger wakes.