Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rookie need help with what flies to use on the Elk River  (Read 4493 times)

Bingbamboom

Rookie need help with what flies to use on the Elk River
« on: June 28, 2015, 11:59:53 PM »

I am relatively new to fly fishing. I am loving it . I am going to be fishing the Elk River in Fernie on July 15th. Any recommendations to what types of flies to acquire for this trip would be much appreciated.

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: Rookie need help with what flies to use on the Elk River
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 06:37:41 AM »

Dries and nymphs. 

Id guess you want some stimulators, prince nymphs, stonefly nymphs, terrestrials, adams, green drakes, etc...

If you do head into the shops and want to buy some when you get there, look at the bins.  Odds are the low bins will be the flies that work

Bingbamboom

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 08:46:11 AM »

Thanks for your help. Got some fly shopping to do.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 04:57:30 PM »

There are lots of good fly shops in Fernie and who have guides that fish the rivers every day. Presentation is probably more important than anything unless there is a big hatch of something. Mid July is probably too early for the Green Drakes, but all the rivers have good insect hatches. Everything is a month or more early, so who knows what might be happening. One thing is sure and that is when the lakes get too warm to fish then the rivers are just getting started. A well placed bead head nymph under a bobber (strike indicator) with a dead drift, should get you into some good fish anywhere that looks "fishy". Westlopes don't like to fight the current, so work the edges behind (and in front of) log jams and blow down.

A deer hair pattern with a brown hackle and a bright orange body can do wonders.

Bingbamboom

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 08:19:55 PM »

Thanks for your insights and help everyone. I really appreciate the help.

Old Blue

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 10:14:54 AM »

There's the 2 shops side by side in Fernie.
I've found that the Elk River Guide Company one is much better and has a huge selection of flies and most importantly friendlier with the info.

I was working there last year and only had a few evenings free for an hour or so and did pretty well on golden stone fly nymphs.....big and heavy with the rubber legs but be prepared to lose flies to rocks and snags.

Like Ian said it's early for green drakes but you never know, pick up a few of the tiny white midges (I don't know the name) with a tough of flash/hologram in it but the people in the shop should dial you in.

Are you on foot, your own float or with a guide?

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 10:10:15 PM »

Its early for green drakes.

Well everything has been early so it cant hurt.

SPEYMAN

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 02:21:13 PM »

The simple thing to do is go to a shop and buy flies that "match the hatch" when you are there. I have found that dry flies are what I like to fish and #10,#8 elk hair caddis worked. Other times #12 mosquitoes were the ticket. Often you can see the fish coming up for the fly, wait until they are going down before setting the hook. Seeing them come up and then refuse the fly is also a thrill. That is also an indication that is not the fly they want. Have fun.

Bingbamboom

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 10:32:40 AM »

Thanks again guys. What an incredible wealth of knowledge you have all shared. Can't wait to give all your recommendations a try. Can't wait to really start getting into some cutties and bulls on the fly in Fernie.