Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thrift store Steals  (Read 1996 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Thrift store Steals
« on: October 25, 2022, 09:37:24 PM »

Feel free to share your best tackle finds at thrift stores. I've never been before but it's something I plan to do soon.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
Re: Thrift store Steals
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 10:24:52 PM »

Thrift store?  Never seen any tackle for sale at the thrift stores I have been to here in Chilliwack/Hope area. Bought a really nice Reddington 5/6 weight fly reel with spare spool on FB marketplace for 25 bucks awhile back.

Phronesis

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 09:31:49 AM »

off topic, just wanted to share how good Daiwa J-Fluoro leader line is - one of my "best finds"..........does not get frayed up, has really good knot strength - my 20 pound trilene breaks off easily compared to this fluoro leader, I got it this season and was really impressed.............
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 09:33:58 AM by Phronesis »

jim

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 09:37:56 AM »

I've never found anything worth buying at Value Village , Salvation Army, Mission Thrift Store, in North van, Chilliwack. only the odd items at Mennonite Thift in Abby. There is apparently a saturday auction in Abby., maybe try that...

blueback

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 10:40:35 AM »

I got a pair of neoprene waders in perfect condition from the old Sally Ann thrift store in Burnaby on Edmonds, a few years back.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 11:29:41 AM »

I got a pair of neoprene waders in perfect condition from the old Sally Ann thrift store in Burnaby on Edmonds, a few years back.
I actually live in Edmonds, I know theres at least 3-5 thrift stores nearby, cant seem to find that one online though. I'll probably go on my bike one day and stop by all of them. Could be a fun hobby to do once in a while maybe on my trip to check the chum in byrne creek or deer lake.

blueback

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 12:25:09 PM »

When I worked in the area, I would take a walk into the store on lunch breaks about 3 times per week. That way I was pretty much on top of what they got in and managed to get some great deals on various tools, hockey gear, clothes, and other sundry items. That was the best thrift store in the Van/Burnaby/New West area in my opinion. Can't find that level of good stuff in the other stores I've visited; although I don't go much anymore.

coastangler

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 01:35:21 PM »

Found decent fishing books both at local Thirft Stores for around $1 and also in public library sales ($0.25). Worth mentioning one called "Fishing Hot Spots of the Upper Fraser Valley" that I found some time ago and while not as "Hot" anymore (written in the early 90s and a lot of the info is out of date) interesting read regardless.

I always check the books section every time I stop by one, sometimes you find really good stuff and not just about fishing - I was so happy to find A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles for 1 buck the other day.
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

sbc hris

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 06:38:58 PM »

I found a 5 pc. 5wt. Dragonfly Kamloops rod, reel, line and case at Value Village in August. The rod had a broken section, but for $10 it was worth the line and reel alone. I ended up having the rod repaired, so now it's a fully functioning setup!
I've found a few good pairs of neoprene waders over the years, and another Dragonfly fly reel with a SA sink tip line on it for $15.00 that appeared new.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 06:42:02 PM »

I found a 5 pc. 5wt. Dragonfly Kamloops rod, reel, line and case at Value Village in August. The rod had a broken section, but for $10 it was worth the line and reel alone. I ended up having the rod repaired, so now it's a fully functioning setup!
I've found a few good pairs of neoprene waders over the years, and another Dragonfly fly reel with a SA sink tip line on it for $15.00 that appeared new.
I would definitely pick up fly fishing if I found a deal like that!

sbc hris

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2022, 06:44:15 PM »

@Darko I could give you a good deal on it if you're interested  :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 06:45:55 PM by sbc hris »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2022, 07:45:03 PM »

Those in or near Chilliwack should check out the Flea Market on Princess Ave, Sundays starting at nine.  There's a fellow there selling decent quality rods and reels, knives, axes, books ... I just picked up a great condition Condex w/silk line for $25 and a good condition Adcock Stanton for $100