Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Broke my brand new fly rod  (Read 7315 times)

yogibear

Broke my brand new fly rod
« on: May 25, 2015, 10:27:39 PM »

I just broke my brand new Redington CT 9054. I broke it while putting in my van.

The tip end of the rod snapped in half and I was just wondering if there's a place to fix or buy the piece or do I have to buy a whole new rod.

I'm new to fly fishing and have no clue where to go.

colin6101

Re: Broke my brand new fly rod
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 10:30:54 PM »

I have never owned a Redington product, but I know when I broke my TFO rod tip they just charged me $30 to replace it. Maybe try filling out this form https://www.redington.com/help.php?section=contactus and seeing what they respond.

yogibear

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 10:39:23 PM »

Thanks Colin. I just filled it out and hopefully I hear from them soon.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:42:14 PM by yogibear »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 06:43:53 AM »

A fix that close to the tip would drastically change the action and feel of the rod. I wouldn't recommend it.
If it's not covered by a warranty the manufacturer should be able to sell you the piece.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 08:56:30 AM »

It looks like the Classic Trout (CT) rods are covered by the lifetime warranty. Redington is part of the same group that owns Sage Rods. There will be a fee to replace the tip of the rod, it has to go back to Redington (I believe Sage handles the warranty service from their Washington State facility) plus it takes some time. My experience is it takes several weeks. You may want to buy a rod of some sort in the meantime - unless you have an older rod as a backup.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 11:51:50 AM »

I just broke my brand new Redington CT 9054. I broke it while putting in my van.

The tip end of the rod snapped in half and I was just wondering if there's a place to fix or buy the piece or do I have to buy a whole new rod.

I'm new to fly fishing and have no clue where to go.

You just learned a valuable lesson in regards to rods. When you get the rod back from warranty make sure you buy a rod/reel case similar to this. It takes away ALOT of the worry about possibly breaking rods. All of my trout rods live in these type cases but remember the reel can still get damaged if you slam that end hard enough

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/plano-fly-fishing-rod-case-0785929p.html#.VWTAmsLbLVQ

Hope your warranty goes through quickly  :)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 01:44:42 PM »

+1 on replacing. I know I've heard of guys who have fixed breaks like that, but the closer to the tip you get, the worse your result will be. That's why most rod builders wouldn't bother. Also more likely to break again when fighting a fish or even casting.

Redington should have a warranty. I know Orvis, Echo, Loomis and TFO will replace your rod for a small fee, pretty much no matter how it broke.

yogibear

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 08:26:40 AM »

No reply back yet from Redington. I guess I'll have to buy a replacement and bring this one in for warranty.

Thanks everyone

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 08:41:47 AM »

Yogi,

Call them. They'll give you instructions to follow. I got my Redington warranty back within a week.

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 09:53:02 PM »

Take your Rod to a retail dealer like Searun, Freds tackle etc and they will send it to Sage. You will pay $50-$70 to have it replaced.

yogibear

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 10:13:12 PM »

They emailed me back and said I would have to pay $30 to get it fixed. They're a little slow the replies, but at least I got a response.

Hopefully it gets fixed quickly!