Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014/2015 summer/winter steelhead season recap!  (Read 11099 times)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: 2014/2015 summer/winter steelhead season recap!
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 11:01:31 AM »

use their web site than. ships it right to your door. love his gear but kind of disappointed he got rid of the multi pack of spoons.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 12:41:35 PM »

beauty fish by the way. gonna try my first island river trip this year in search of steel. personally i think i will be happy with one or two of those beauties.

bluenoser

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 12:49:40 PM »

Fantastic!

One thing that stood out to me was that you almost always had someone to share the memory/trip/picture with and I think that must really add to the experience. I guess safety wise its also a good decision.

Enjoy this stage of your life...I remember when you first started posting on Rod's site, in comparison your a wise old man now.

Can't believe you found a girl that shares your obsession...although I guess Rodney did as well!

BN

eager_rookie

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 01:42:19 PM »

use their web site than. ships it right to your door. love his gear but kind of disappointed he got rid of the multi pack of spoons.

Sold out online as well-- when I talked to Highwater tackle, they said it was a manufacturer problem, above Trophy on the supply chain.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 01:46:17 PM »

Can't believe you found a girl that shares your obsession...although I guess Rodney did as well!

BN actually we just forced them into enjoying it, and use our charms and good looks so they'll stick around even though they can't stand touching another fish rod... ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 01:55:17 PM »

BN actually we just forced them into enjoying it, and use our charms and good looks so they'll stick around even though they can't stand touching another fish rod... ;D

Hahahah.. Love the part about the good looks ;D ;D ;D

Awesome fish and photography Dan!  If you do decide to guide for a while I think you might be busy.

islanddude

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 03:29:40 PM »

Just so you know I have caught more fish in one day than you have in a season. I have been at it for quite some times. I was the first one on Vancouver Island with pink worm. My generation has taken the next generation's fish( that's you), timber, minerals, oil, etc. Soon you will have only pictures to fish with.
 I could be wrong, but I believe in the next 5 yrs. you are going to see a drastic decline in the over all fish stocks. Have a nice day.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 03:56:17 PM »

Just so you know I have caught more fish in one day than you have in a season.
That's quite the statement Wes :(  My guess is Dan will ignore it (kinda like a Gretzky talking hockey, you know been there, done that) but is no doubt very concerned about the VI river degradation you correctly keep bring up.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 04:10:04 PM »

Just so you know I have caught more fish in one day than you have in a season. I have been at it for quite some times. I was the first one on Vancouver Island with pink worm. My generation has taken the next generation's fish( that's you), timber, minerals, oil, etc. Soon you will have only pictures to fish with.
 I could be wrong, but I believe in the next 5 yrs. you are going to see a drastic decline in the over all fish stocks. Have a nice day.

I didn't, in any single statement, question or challenge how many fish you have caught or continue to catch. The only reply I gave you was that I care greatly for the fish - that no lifts are longer than 10 seconds (as seen by water running off them in photos). I then backed my claim with papers I have read - you know - scientific research that has pointed to 30 seconds of air exposure as the tipping point for damage. You attacked me for photos that you had no understanding about. This reply you just wrote, in no way, answered the question I asked of you - do you have any sort of proof, or evidence, that a 10 second lift at all harms a fish? In fact, it was just another personal attack that I will have no part of, because I don't need to prove myself to you.

The beauty of it, is that you (and I) could indeed be wrong. There is no doubt that stocks have declined, but the last 5 or so years they have rebounded drastically. If we do get a control on the logging that seems to be taking place again, my thoughts are that steelhead are incredibly hardy creatures and will continue to persist. Take a look at chinook runs this year - the highest they've ever been in recorded history on some flows.

fisherforever

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2015, 05:28:36 PM »

Sold out online as well-- when I talked to Highwater tackle, they said it was a manufacturer problem, above Trophy on the supply chain.
I've tried phoning 3 times last week and left voicemails, phoned this morning too and only get a message. You would think that they would have the decency to at least reply especially when I told them I wanted to place an order for 100 spoons. Any way I found another source and my 100 spoons are on the way.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2015, 08:52:27 AM »

Just so you know I have caught more fish in one day than you have in a season. I have been at it for quite some times. I was the first one on Vancouver Island with pink worm. My generation has taken the next generation's fish( that's you), timber, minerals, oil, etc.

And you have the gall to attack a guy for lifting a fish from the water for a quick photo op? Where were you when the first serious talks of conservation began in the 60's, when Haig Brown warned against the very same things you and your generation were doing? Fishing, of course, and probably killing every fish you caught.

Go after some poachers and polluters that still abound in your area, not after a guy who singlehandedly does more to promote fishing ethics and the beauty of our province than most people on this board together.
Lifting a fish for a picture...pfffft, big deal! If you are so worried about causing them pain and discomfort, stop fishing altogether and join PETA.

You may have well been the first on the island with a pink worm, but the size of it must have been quite small when you have the need to write such bombastic statements.  :P

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2015, 09:04:45 AM »

big deal! If you are so worried about causing them pain and discomfort, stop fishing altogether and join PETA.

x2   You are so right this time !!!!! :D ;D ;)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2015, 10:11:15 AM »

wow someone's bitter. i am not sure what to make of that post. he says hes better than you, blames himself for the sate of the resource and than says fish are doomed. so confused.

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2015, 10:14:27 AM »

lol nice fish Dan, someone's bitter for sure...

wow someone's bitter. i am not sure what to make of that post. he says hes better than you, blames himself for the sate of the resource and than says fish are doomed. so confused.

yep lol...

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2015, 12:11:54 PM »

You may have well been the first on the island with a pink worm, but the size of it must have been quite small when you have the need to write such bombastic statements.  :P

LOL!!!!!