Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My kid was given a new used rod  (Read 5763 times)

Jimmy

My kid was given a new used rod
« on: July 07, 2004, 08:14:38 AM »

My buddy just passed down a 9 ft diawa BLACK WIDOW with a spinning reel for my 8 year old kid.

He is glowing and looking forward to getting out on the river as soon as he is back from grandma's next week

I have to put line on this thing and was wondering what you all would segest, we will be bar fishing and the other way for sockeye. I was thinking 20 lbs maxama

FISH187

Re:My kid was given a new used rod
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 09:00:29 AM »

20lb maxima is good.   Maybe a little heavier if bar fishing for chinook.  In my opinion maxima ultra green is the best line money can buy.  If you are fishing the other way 20 lb is perfect.  

FISH187

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 09:01:54 AM »

oh and if you want to save a few dollars, go to a local tackle shop, most have bulk line there, and will load the reel up for you, it is less expensive than buying the spool of line off the shelf.  

_Ivan_

• Fish for life. <*)))))>(
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 09:07:32 AM »

I would say that you get 20lbs maxima and 15lbs leader.
"Damn coho they're hard to catch." <*)))))>(

Jimmy

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 09:12:34 AM »

I will get him a real set up for christmas this year I was thinking of a 10' 6" with a corsair combo. What you guys think. I will be on a $200 budget.

spring_killer

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 11:12:18 AM »

Ivan, 15 is not enough for the Fraser. You need heavier...........

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 03:15:05 PM »

I recommend 12lb to 20lb Berkley Big Game - depending on the fishing condition and the fish you're going after.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 03:16:42 PM by Long_Cast »

FishKid

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 07:30:10 PM »

Spring_killer,  when you fish for fraser sockeyes you only need like 10-12 pound mainline and 10-12 pound line for your leader. But if you should hook into a spring you are pretty much screwed.

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 08:34:48 PM »

I dont know  about  the 20# line on a spinning reel? I would personaly use a thinner stonger line on that kind of   reel,   unless using  a bait caster which you are not using for your son   .    ok those are my  thoughts.    use your own judgement, this only a reply  ok.    fish  on!!!!!!!!!!!

otto

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 12:47:26 AM »

that's not true at all .... i have caught a 22 lb spring on the fraser using 15 lb main line and 12 lb leader, like i always use for sockeye fishing.... pulled it in without too much difficulty. i'll even put pics if you want

i too have caught very large fish using ultralight tackle as small as 2 lb test (and not just trout, salmon too, large carp) if you set the drag properly and use a good rod, in time anyone can catch arge fish with light line. my 2cents

Jimmy

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 07:22:34 AM »

I may have the same rod... Mine is a Black Widow, 9.5" heavy action.  It's actually a mooching rod IINM.  But a great bar fishing rod.  Very strong.  Have a Daiawa CX265 Coffee grinder on it and used to be spooled with 20lb mono, but am still debating on mono of fused line.  

Thats the one just it is 9' even. my boy is very exited about getting out to nail a big spring. He will be bar fishing only until the socks are open!