Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing line  (Read 5011 times)

Neat Freak

• Birdnest King!
fishing line
« on: July 05, 2004, 09:31:44 PM »

This may be a somewhat stupid question, but here it goes...
How do you wrap fishing line on a reel? This is my first complete season of fishing and I've always had line spun onto the reel at a tackle shop. It's quick, sure, but costly. Is there a certain technique I should know? It seems to be pretty straightforward, but before I try, please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanx a lot. :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:fishing line
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 09:42:33 PM »

http://www.tnoutdoorsmen.com/knots.htm

Start by attaching your line to your reel with an Arbor Knot then reel your line onto your reel under tension

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 09:48:10 PM »

i actually use the 1st section of the rod then feed the line through the eyeholes tie a knot to the reel then reel i find this much easier...hope this helps :D

FishKid

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 09:54:32 PM »

Tie the loose end of the line to the spool with an arbor knot.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 10:54:31 PM »

When you're reeling line off the refill spool, what ever you do, DON'T just let the line peel off from from the refill spool (like what happens when line is released from a spinning reel)- this causes MASSIVE line twist and will frustrate you beyond belief when your out on the water.  Instead, jam a pencil through the hole in the center of the refill spool and get a friend to hold the pencil and spool while applying a little pressure to the rim of the refill spool (to prevent overruns and to spool the line on to the reel tightly).  Respool the reel until the line fills the spool to within a milimetre of the rim on a baitcaster and maybe 3mm on a spinning reel.

Neat Freak

• Birdnest King!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 11:01:54 PM »

Matt, do you mean to keep the line tight from reel to spool? Do not let the line sit loose on the floor as I wind?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 11:21:55 PM »

You did it didn't you ?? You let the line loose on the floor as you wound it on your reel ! Have fun on the river ! ;D

Neat Freak

• Birdnest King!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 11:31:19 PM »

Actually, I haven't done anything yet. That's why I was inquiring. See, something that I thought was pretty obvious, wasn't that clear cut after all. I would never have thought of line twist. That's why this forum is so great, you can learn from those who know what they're talking about.

badboi

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 08:23:39 AM »

isnt it cheaper to let the tackle store put line on for you compared to buying and putting it on yourself?

Neat Freak

• Birdnest King!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 08:43:56 AM »

Another question: When switching line, can the line you're taking off be spooled and used again? Or is it just junk and prone to line twist if you try to use it later? :-\

spring_killer

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 10:55:56 AM »

After i switch lines, i throw the old one out. The reason for this is beacause the line take off, will have little loops, and that line will not have the same effect as the same kind of line only new. In other words, dont use the line taken off again.  8) 8)           8)

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 11:21:36 AM »

Dont let the spool sit on the floor - that causes line twist.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 12:45:17 PM »

As Normfish has stated, only the beginning section of your line gets used (probably the first 70 feet).  An economical way to cut down your cost is to replace the section of line that gets used (the used section of line usually is faded) and replace it with new line. Use a nail or blood knot to connect the two sections and you're set !

otto

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 04:08:35 PM »

ah fer gawds sake.... fishing line is cheap. buy a bulk spool 3000 or 5000 yards, spool up with fresh line every 3 fishing trips....... 8)