Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would you fish it II?  (Read 6267 times)

bigsnag

• Old Timer
Would you fish it II?
« on: March 22, 2015, 11:55:05 PM »

I wanted something to look like my beloved pink worms, but I didn't want to go to the flyshop. It's got to be from scraps at home......

I found these:

And these I bought from Ming Woo in the 80's, they were $4.99 each

The results:

The question is, would you fish it?

It ain't the roe bro'

ajransom

Re: Would you fish it II?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:25:42 AM »

I would... Worth a shot at least!

koko

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 12:36:09 PM »

send me some, I'll test drive it for you ;)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 06:27:25 PM »

I see one major flaw in your design. They may swim well however I think you'll find your trailer hook will tangle those hackle tip tails quite often unfortunately. May also tangle the bend of the hook you left, need to cut them off a lot closer to where there is no bend and also file the sharpness down if possible because it can cut the braid

If you want a simple fly that looks like a rubber worm try one of these but tied in all pink

OR an ALL pink MOAL leech (very similar to my pattern but a little trickier to tie) or you could just use an all pink marabou popsicle fly tied on a hook
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:30:37 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 11:43:35 PM »

They may swim well however I think you'll find your trailer hook will tangle those hackle tip tails quite often unfortunately. May also tangle the bend of the hook you left, need to cut them off a lot closer to where there is no bend and also file the sharpness down if possible because it can cut the braid
They actually don't swim quite as well as rabbit fur. However I do not notice a lot of tangles with the hackle tips at all.  You are right that I should cut and file down those hook bends some more.
A good thing with this fly is that I could throw it on a single hand rod with little effort.

Thanks for your input nevertheless, but I think you totally missed the point of the post:  to create something out of what's lying around and still have confidence fishing it.  If I want to tie a MOAL or pink marabou popsicle I 'd buy the material and work on that.

Steelheads are not fuzzy, we are.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:56:04 AM by bigsnag »
It ain't the roe bro'

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 08:21:28 AM »

--a variation... I would tie it as a tube fly... you cold use a metal tube if you wanted weight or use the bead on plastic.
--This would allow adjusting of the trailer if required... also able to change hook size

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 04:29:40 PM »

They actually don't swim quite as well as rabbit fur. However I do not notice a lot of tangles with the hackle tips at all.  You are right that I should cut and file down those hook bends some more.
A good thing with this fly is that I could throw it on a single hand rod with little effort.

Thanks for your input nevertheless, but I think you totally missed the point of the post:  to create something out of what's lying around and still have confidence fishing it.  If I want to tie a MOAL or pink marabou popsicle I 'd buy the material and work on that.

Steelheads are not fuzzy, we are.

I just assumed if you tie flies for steelhead you'd have the two cheapest and majorly used materials (bunny and marabou) at your disposal.

I didn't miss the fact you used things around the house however the only thing not from a fishing store was the feather dusters so you can see how I came upon my assumption and I myself need to remember not everyone has a small stores worth of tying stuff. (I have a better selection of materials than Wholesale Sports)  ;)
Check out our new blog

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 10:35:27 PM »

(I have a better selection of materials than Wholesale Sports)  ;)

I think you are a very innovative and talented tier, there are lots that I can and have learnt from your posts and blogs, thanks.
It ain't the roe bro'

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 11:59:49 AM »

How about an old style articulated leech?

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 09:13:31 PM »

I think you are a very innovative and talented tier, there are lots that I can and have learnt from your posts and blogs, thanks.

Thank you for the kind words Bigsnag.

I'm a super anal perfectionist which is probably the major reason why my flies look how they do. If they aren't coming out right I'll razor the whole thing and start over. Thank god I've been doing this long enough now that I don't do this often anymore unless experimenting/creating something new
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:15:35 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog