Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ocean plastics in Steelhead - Province Newspaper  (Read 18425 times)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: Ocean plastics in Steelhead - Province Newspaper
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 03:30:37 PM »

Ahhh!
Internet scientists.
Heaven (or doctor) forbid they ever get an ache or pain they can't figure out.

Diagnosis....

On the internet your chances of imminent death are so much closer.
 8)

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 01:59:34 AM »

No, just plain logical captain

GordJ

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 08:24:43 PM »

So the cynic in me saw this article http://www.straight.com/news/397461/david-suzuki-we-have-stop-killing-oceans-plastic and I went"aha" that's why this fish ate the plastic in the ocean!! Could this all be part of an ecological campaign against ocean borne plastic and it is just the opening salvo? Remember, I am against plastic (or any garbage) in the ocean (or any water) but to use falsehoods and bad science to promote a cause harms all of us, in my opinion. Pretty soon we won't be able to believe anything anywhere.
Okay, now the tin foil hat comment is valid.
I am surprised that no one has said which tackle shop the guy worked at because that would go a long way to determining provenance.

wizard

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 10:21:04 AM »

I guess some people are going to have to actually catch one for themselves and see it with their own eyes? 
Plastic is everywhere from Ocean surface to ocean floor river banks and everywhere in between. go for a walk on a beach, river bank, anywhere near water and you will see garbage and plastic of all types.
I don't get how understanding a fish coming into contact with it at some point and ingesting a piece resembling a food item is so hard to beleive. 
If you can't believe or understand that then you are either completely oblivious or have comprehension problems.
Some people's response to this is pretty confusing.  Calling someone who finds plastic in the stomach's of a fish a liar and somehow they have an agenda...I'd say anyone saying that guy who reported the plastic has an agenda probably has an agenda of their own...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 05:29:39 PM »

Well, being there for the interview like I was would know this was a factual story and with The Master finding a piece of plastic and a bottle cap the same week in a steelhead shows this is most likly will show up again as more of us will be checking the fish when we clean them, something I never do with salmon or steelhead.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 07:51:04 PM »

something I never do with salmon or steelhead.
Really?  why not ?? I always checked stomach contents as one never knew what would be found.

Morty

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2015, 08:35:01 AM »

So, based on the very narrow science from the photo, rather than all our attempts at fancy, fluffy, feathery jigs and intruder flies, what we should maybe be using as a lure is very angular turquoise, pink, or charcoal  lures    ;) ;) ;)
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2015, 11:54:44 AM »

Really?  why not ?? I always checked stomach contents as one never knew what would be found.
Looking for gold would be my guess. ;D ;D