Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ocean plastics in Steelhead - Province Newspaper  (Read 18426 times)

wizard

Re: Ocean plastics in Steelhead - Province Newspaper
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 09:22:45 AM »

Earlier in this season I caught a steelhead with similiar looking red chunk of hard plastic in it's stomach, too big for it to pass.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:56:59 PM by wizard »

sbc hris

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 12:33:41 PM »

Interesting. Years ago I caught a steelhead with a loonie sized piece of purple wax in its stomach.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 02:22:02 PM »

Some interesting comments on the article.  Thanks Rod and Chris for chiming in and clearing a few things up.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 02:44:14 PM »

It's from in river most likely, the color of the plastics still indicates dye meaning stomach acids haven't gotten to them yet,   if from ocean digestive juices would have worked on plastic

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 02:46:02 PM »

Check out you tube,, search Worlds greediest summer steelhead, good insight into this topic

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 03:30:28 PM »

It's from in river most likely, the color of the plastics still indicates dye meaning stomach acids haven't gotten to them yet,   if from ocean digestive juices would have worked on plastic
Good point regarding stomach acids Cammer … guess it would depend on the components of the plastic itself and, for the fish, where and when it consumed it.  If it ate this stuff weeks before stomach and intestine functionality break down, and when hormones put all into gonad production (freshwater entry),  I would think this fish would not have been able to digest or pass any real food, and most likely would not have survived to be caught.
My guess is somewhere in the estuary, or just offshore but not long before it hit freshwater.

firebird

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 06:35:43 PM »

It was a hatchery fish ... it might not have had all its marbles  ;)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 07:19:31 PM »

It was a hatchery fish ... it might not have had all its marbles  ;)

LOL!!!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 07:51:39 PM »

Check out you tube,, search Worlds greediest summer steelhead, good insight into this topic
Is the video you mean?
http://youtu.be/BvzojOJ_llg

if so, I question much of it, especially as we see it has already been opened and never see the stomach being dissected ... just sayin'

fishstick

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 08:47:16 PM »

Stomach acids have a very mild effect on most common plastics from what I understand... Often showing very little if any effect even after 30 day submersion exposure. This would lead me to believe that the plastic was likely not from the river.

Not an expert here... Just a little research online. A plastics chemical resistance chart from www.plasticsintl.com.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 11:39:25 PM »

the dyes in the plastic would most likely faded if from ocean,,,,,and that fishin the video is the one,,,and yes thats totally real

fishstick

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 11:42:26 PM »

the dyes in the plastic would most likely faded if from ocean,,,,,and that fishin the video is the one,,,and yes thats totally real

Don't know how you would know that the "dyes" would most likely have faded... Do you have any info that would point to that?

fishstick

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 12:03:07 AM »

This is a pic of the plastic right after opening the stomach...

StillAqua

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 03:44:35 PM »

Assuming the photos are real (this is the internet after all  ;)) and that the steelie is not a one-off freak of nature with an eating disorder, I'm inclined to think the plastics were ingested in the river (Fraser and Vedder). I can imagine how a large flat plastic piece fluttering in the current might resemble a small fish and trigger a strike response from a steelie.

But in the open ocean, the plastics are just passively floating around and bear little resemblance to a prey item. Every foreign object I've ever found in an ocean salmon has been a lure designed to look and act like prey. The few scientific studies I've read on ocean plastic pollution have also found relatively few plastics in salmon stomachs at sea and most were small particles likely ingested incidentally (Davis et al 2009, Boerger et al 2010).

If it was a wild fish, I don't see that steelie surviving after spawning with a gut full of plastic. If true that the plastics were eaten in the river and it's a common steelhead response to eat them, I can see river plastic pollution having a major impact on wild steelhead survival and production in many urban rivers.  :'(