Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cultas Lake Fishery  (Read 7928 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: Cultas Lake Fishery
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 03:39:55 PM »

Theories on how they ended up in the lake?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 03:53:49 PM »

They swam right up the Canal, then into the Vedder then up Sweltzer and into Cultus.

Sumas Lake was loaded with Sturgeon before they drained it so before the canal was ever build the sturgeon were sure to have traveled from Sumas Lake to Sumas River to the Vedder and Sweltz up to the lake.

It wasn't more than 10 years ago someone reported hooking a sturgeon just above the Keith Wilson bridge. Apparently someone witnessed that it was in fact a sturgeon. This didn't surprise me - I can see that happening.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 05:34:59 PM »

What you say is right Rieber; they could have done that swim but it's local legend that a few sturgeon anglers in the early 70's released Fraser River caught sturgeon into Cultus Lake, Lake of the Woods, and Texas Lake, near Hope. :-X
Fwiw, I believe this story.  Most likely they were smaller fish due to transport issues and the fact large sturgeon were worth big bucks.  Local anglers made regular trips to downtown Vancouver restaurants to sell their catch.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 07:17:54 PM »

I remember hearing something about the transplant rumours. I'm sure there were some transplants. I actually think there was a fair bit of small scale experimentation with species transplants - all with good intentions but hopefully we know better now.

I also remember reading an magazine story based on increadible fly fishing for Coho in Cultaus that seemed to live a good portion of their lives in the lake rather than head down to the ocean. Sort of like kokanee. I think the authour even called them cohokanee.

mikeyman

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 09:54:21 PM »

There are cohokanee in the lake. I have caught quite a few. Always released...not sure I want to eat a fish outta there anyway.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 10:21:07 PM »

That's good, since retention of coho salmon is not permitted at Cultus Lake.

Burbot

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 05:45:54 AM »

There is also a few whitefish in the lake too. I have caught a few (not many) over the years while fishing off the dock way down at the Lindell beach end.  One thing though the pike minnow catch seems down and that is a good thing. I think the derby has a lot to do with that.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 12:16:05 PM »

There is also a few whitefish in the lake too. I have caught a few (not many) over the years while fishing off the dock way down at the Lindell beach end.  One thing though the pike minnow catch seems down and that is a good thing. I think the derby has a lot to do with that.
The PM derby is in question this year as no organization has stepped up to run it.

island boy

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 03:21:59 PM »

thats too bad. i won't be able to defend my title for biggest fish.
you kill it, you clean it.