Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing for Bull and Rainbow trout in winter  (Read 5448 times)

hillmonkey

Fishing for Bull and Rainbow trout in winter
« on: January 04, 2016, 07:28:41 PM »

I am fairly new to river fishing and completely new to fishing during the winter months, where would be a few good places to fish locally (lower mainland) for Rainbows and Bullies? I have some new toys from xmas I want to try out.

TheLostSockeye

Re: Fishing for Bull and Rainbow trout in winter
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 07:29:19 PM »

I am fairly new to river fishing and completely new to fishing during the winter months, where would be a few good places to fish locally (lower mainland) for Rainbows and Bullies? I have some new toys from xmas I want to try out.

VEDDER!!!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 08:08:48 PM »

VEDDER!!!

X2.  By far the best system for both.  That said, just about any stream connected to the Fraser is a going to have resident bows, and if they have viable salmon runs, then they will likely have sea run cutties as well, they just have fewer numbers.  Chehalis also must have bulls as I have caught them up in the lake, but you don't hear much about interceptions in the lower river.  The lower Pitt also has both as does the Harrison, but you will want a boat for these larger streams.  The Vedder is by far the most productive for both, and of course you can also get the occasional steelhead to spice things up.
Not all those who wander are lost

SilverChaser

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 08:35:18 PM »

X3 to Vedder. Steelhead, Cutthroat, Bullies, Whitefish. Spend time on the river, read about winter fishing, etc. and you will be good to go. Good luck!
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 09:24:30 PM »

The Fraser River around the New West area for large sea going Bulls. Bar rigging with roe. Check your regs for closures and bait bans.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 08:17:53 AM »

yes by all means the Vedder/Chilliwack. Stay away from the rivers I fish! ;D

Not many local rivers have  substantial populations of rainbow trout though hatchery residual fish in the V/C offer opportunities.There are also lake based fished that enter to feed on salmon eggs and fish in late fall and winter.  The Harrison Stave and some other small systems will have small numbers. Another good choice for Bulls is the Squamish and it's major tributaries.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 09:14:44 AM »

You can also try the Fraser R estuary in the Steveston area.

Several years ago (actually it was 2009!) Rodney posted several reports of bull trout that he caught from shore in the Garry Park area. That was late February, but he has other reports of bull trout from November so I would certainly roll the dice on them being there now mid-winter.       

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »

In regards to the Stave your more likely to catch a cutthroat then a rainbow.

Personally there is nothing wrong with that, I love cutthroat but my seasons are distinct.  Rainbows and bulls in summer, maybe some westslope cutts, rainbows in fall and Coastals when I am on the mainland in the winter.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 01:30:10 PM »

Another good choice for Bulls is the Squamish and it's major tributaries.
Yes! Fly fishing for Bulls on the Squish and Cheak can be very rewarding.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 03:51:23 PM »

In regards to the Stave your more likely to catch a cutthroat then a rainbow.

true for most of the Fraser tribs below Hope. Steelhead smolts will often residualize and become residents though. Still on the Harrison I have in over 30 years caught 2 or 3 rainbows. Some folks find differentiating rainbow from cutthroat a challenge which explain why some people to catch them with some frequency.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 05:14:51 PM »

still fished bait kills wild trout and char! Post release mortality can be over 40%. Be responsible & fish artificials