Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how can i tell a make of rod  (Read 1873 times)

brumy

how can i tell a make of rod
« on: February 12, 2015, 04:43:20 AM »

I have a fishing rod don't now what make it is
all it says on it is freds custom tackle VR10CHM-2

whereismyfloat

Re: how can i tell a make of rod
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 08:28:26 AM »

Call Fred: Telephone: (604) 858-7344

Guessing: Vedder River 10ft Chum 2 piece. (VR10CHM2) but not sure what blank was used. But they should be able to tell you.

brumy

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 05:13:20 AM »

Call Fred: Telephone: (604) 858-7344

Guessing: Vedder River 10ft Chum 2 piece. (VR10CHM2) but not sure what blank was used. But they should be able to tell you.
ok thanks

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 10:48:08 AM »

Were you able to find out any details on this rod? Blank maker?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 09:16:18 AM »

I believe your rod model is VR106HM-2 and that this was one of the Lamiglas blanks brought in by Fred's and Hub Sports back over 20+ years ago around the time bottom bouncing the Fraser was beginning to take hold. Somebody locally wrapped a ton of these rods and should know for certain what the details on that blank is. I was told when I bought the first one long ago that it was a Lamiglas and the old timer that I bought the garage sale rod also stated he was certain it was Lamiglas.

I exploded one of those rods some 15 years ago foolishly trying to cast a railway spike. It was a great rod then and I think I owned it for at least 7 years prior to destroying it. I was surprised when I found one at a garage sale last Spring for $5 - I grabbed it up even though I needed to replace two eyes. I used that rod for bottom bouncing a fair bit this past season and enjoyed the memories it brought back. The rod that I picked up has no markings or decorative wraps or even a butt cap - just a bare bones build with a cork butt. The glass/resin combination stands out and is the real identifier of that blank run.

These are good boat rods for Springs as they have a slightly softer/slower action than today's rods. You can really get a deep bend on these rods and combined with the no-stretch braided lines of today, they make a very nice b-bouncing rod for Springs and Sockeye.