Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boat motor question  (Read 5314 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Boat motor question
« on: February 11, 2015, 10:39:10 PM »

Recently bought a 12foot 6 Hypalon boat.   I have yet to use it but thought it would be super cool to use crabbing.

I did buy a min kota endura max motor but I understand you can only use in fresh water...

So now I am looking on Craigslist.   The prices vary. 

I am not looking for anything fast.  In fact something I can use to ado troll at lakes ... So I was thinking a 5 horsepower.  I am looking to save money but wondering to get some suggestions. 

What would you use. 
see ya on the river

VA7DDP

Re: Boat motor question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 11:25:17 PM »

If your looking for a used outboard; your probably going to spend about $800.

You can get a new one for about $1200 from Canadian Tire, which is a Coleman (Made by Parsun, a Chinese company entering the Canadian Market)

Thing with an outboard is maintenance. If you want it to last long, you will need to regularly maintain it. If you are handy with wrenches you can do it yourself. If not expect to pay about $250-300 per season to get it serviced.

I think you will be better off getting a 55lb Thrust Minn Kota Riptide which is Saltwater Rated. Aprox. $500 and virtually no maintenance.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 08:04:28 AM »

Something about a electric motor in the ocean with currents freaks me out.
see ya on the river

VA7DDP

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 08:55:44 PM »

Either way I would not go out far from shore, or on a windy day on a Inflatable or any boat of that size.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 09:10:36 PM »

5hp won't do much more then a 2.5hp, you will be plowing water. For the weight savings buy a 2.5hp they are under 40lbs.  You would need a 9.9 to get on plane.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 10:14:15 PM »

I am not going to be taking the inflatible to far out in the ocean... Worst case is around cates or belclarra or fishing the bigger lakes.  I just feel that in a bigger lake it will be nicer to have both a gas and electric. 

While it would be fun to have a 9.9 on it I do think it's a good idea weight wise.
see ya on the river

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 07:56:08 PM »

I don't think a 9.9 is a good idea either.

I think it's a great idea.

I bought a sweet 1999 15hp Merc 2 stroke from Bellingham for $800 in the summer (after someone POS stole the 20hp off my boat).  Deals are out there, if you act fast.

Kenwee

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 08:21:07 PM »

I ran an 11.2 ft Achilles with a 15 HP Honda 4 stroke crabbing at Cates Park. Takes me out fast and takes me back fast.
Just got a Yamaha 25 HP and bought a 12.2 ft Achilles LSI 365 and I am looking forward to taking it out again this season.
An inflatable is completely safe in the ocean.

I have taken a 12 ft Achilles in open sea at Porteau Cove  in strong winds and choppy water. Though we were drenched, the boat rode the waves safely and brought us home in one piece. Inflatables are sea worthy and safe.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 11:37:37 PM »

15hp and 20hp is nice, but it sounds like he is assembling the boat at shore. If it's a trailer boat ya bigger the better.

Get a new 2.5hp for $900, keep it simple

If you plan Fraser river you need 9.9hp+

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 11:52:00 PM »

Yes.  I am assembling at shore. 

see ya on the river

penn

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 06:35:13 AM »

Yes.  I am assembling at shore.
Why does that matter in choosing a motor ? 9.9's are very light weight , even older ones . You can carry them with one hand and 15's are usually the same size , made from the same block . I used to pack around a much heavier older 80's 20 hp evinrude  long leg and put it onto a boat at the shore(which is doable for a young guy, but 20's are way heavier) . No biggie with a 15 or 9.9 .

And they are NOT alot of maintenance if you get a 2 stroke . Pretty much all you need to do is change the oil in the leg about once season , which involves only taking out a drain plug and a filler plug , very easily done , much easier than an oil change on a car . Change spark plugs when needed (easy) , grease  moving parts every so often and that's about it .

If you opt for for 9.9 or 15 you won't regret it like you will with a 5 or less .

GordJ

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 07:20:35 AM »

Why does that matter in choosing a motor ? 9.9's are very light weight , even older ones . You can carry them with one hand and 15's are usually the same size , made from the same block . 
Aren't 9.9's weighing in at 90-100 lb.s? That must be one hell of a hand you've got there. I took my kicker off my boat and when I tried to put it back on, with the boat on the trailer,  I couldn't get it back on the boat by myself. Gave the motor to my brother and never saw it again, good riddance.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 11:56:29 AM »

here is where I am am lost.

1.  does a 5 or 9 horse really require that much maintenance.   I will probably use it 3 to 4 times a year

2.  I already have a minkkota 45 lb with the maximizer.   I think this will be good for lakes but I am concerned putting the battery and motor in the boat.   I haven't bought the batter but was looking at them last night and they are heavy!  I can handle it but can the boat.   Its a 12 foot inflatable with the air floor.  made of hypalon.

3.  If I bring the electric motor in a larger lake and a small gas one.  Is this going to be to heavy.  I know these boats can take a lot of weight but.....

So all in all I am thinking.. do I sell the unopened electric and just use the gas motor... in the electric motor only lakes do I just simply paddle....

I am lost.. hahahah   I have not even used the boat yet but waiting to get on the water...

I ideally would be doing trout and thinking of doing crabbing... But last week I saw a guy out paddling for crab.. I think I can paddle in a calm area... like belclarra or cates...
see ya on the river

penn

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 06:48:49 PM »

Aren't 9.9's weighing in at 90-100 lb.s? That must be one hell of a hand you've got there. I took my kicker off my boat and when I tried to put it back on, with the boat on the trailer,  I couldn't get it back on the boat by myself. Gave the motor to my brother and never saw it again, good riddance.
You must be thinking about 4 strokes , the old 2 strokes were lighter . But even most current 4stroke 9.9's are under 90 lbs with the Nissan weighing at only 81 lbs , easily hand bombed . The old 2stroke 9.9's were about 79 lbs , a weight most guys would be able to carry at their side with one hand . The old Merc 20 I used to have only weighed in at 100 lbs even , the Evinrude long shaft 20 was heaveir than that , but we used to hand bomb that thing for years . And I did carry it from truck to the boat by myself . I wouldn't want to that anymore as I'm not as young as I once was , but a 9.9 2stroke should be no problem for an average able bodied guy .

penn

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 07:05:41 PM »

1.  does a 5 or 9 horse really require that much maintenance.   I will probably use it 3 to 4 times a year
No . Especially not if it's a 2 stroke . If you can change the oil in your car you can easily do most of the maintenance yourself . The ignitions are electronic and require nothing , a 2 stroke does not need oil changes except for the leg oil , but that generally is only 2 plugs you take out to drain and refill . Spark plugs occasionally need to be changed , but not after only 4 uses and they're very easy to change . If you take it out in the salt , it's a good idea to wash it off after each use and flush it out . To flush out salt water from the cooling system you buy an attachment that connects to a garden hose and you run fresh water through it while it runs . Or you can start the engine on a mount with it hanging in a garbage can filled with water ,with the engine running in neutral . You can probably find videos for all this stuff on Youtube .