Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Millimetres of rain... Blown Rivers  (Read 4241 times)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Millimetres of rain... Blown Rivers
« on: February 11, 2015, 07:10:51 PM »

What have you noticed when it comes to millimetres of rain in a 24 hour period... When does the river start to become unfishable in the following 24hrs?

ribolovac02

Re: Millimetres of rain... Blown Rivers
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 07:22:42 PM »

It dosnt mean nothing, fish are always there , you just gotta find them lol
Freezing levels are way more important ...
I have cought fish in 6 inch vis with the river being completely blown out, but if you like perfect conditions I'm afraid you will miss out on a lot of fishing...

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 07:56:35 PM »

True.  Fish are always there.  But there are so many variables. Temp, snow pack, freezing level.  50 mils definitely gets me thinking especially if it's gonna continue throughout my adventure.  But I only get so many opportunities so what's a little rain  8).

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 07:59:15 PM »

It dosnt mean nothing, fish are always there , you just gotta find them lol
Freezing levels are way more important ...
I have cought fish in 6 inch vis with the river being completely blown out, but if you like perfect conditions I'm afraid you will miss out on a lot of fishing...

That's not what I'm really concerned about. I'm not talking about the vedder. Smaller systems tend more dangerous when the water is too high.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 08:14:13 PM »

Depends on the river. Some gets blown out and come into shape faster than others.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 08:26:05 PM »

I'm looking for a rule of thumb, a benchmark. When you look at the weather, what number stops you from going out. I know there are hard cores, but I'm not interested in their opinion. I'm looking for average here, lol.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 08:54:47 PM »

On the island, anywhere south of Campbell river, 30mm in a 24 hour period definitely gets me a little worried.
50mm anywhere North of Campbell river is the equivalent.

Some island systems I fish will be blown within the first hour of rain due to logging roads dumping sediment, others will be blown the day after the rain due to being a lake fed system (slower response time).

A lot of rivers will drop as much as 5 feet in a day right after a bump if no rain is happening. Some drop much slower (again, lake fed system). It's all about knowing your river to be honest. I pretty much always have a back up plan, unless it was the sort of ridiculous rain we got this past weekend - then I stay home and tie flies, do homework and get stuff done so I can fish hard this week  ;D

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 08:59:40 PM »

answered already.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:01:12 PM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

farky

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 09:00:04 PM »

Check the hydrograph if it's over 2.6 m at the crossing and we have had heavy rains of 30-50+ mm for a couple days before chances are the river isn't in the greatest shape. However if it is still high and coming down with light or no rain for a couple of days then the clarity could be good but access to certain spots may be dicey. Usually takes the vedder 2 to 3 days after a heavy rain to come back around.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 09:16:20 PM »

That's not what I'm really concerned about. I'm not talking about the vedder. Smaller systems tend more dangerous when the water is too high.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 09:21:06 PM »

Too many variables. some rivers can handle the extra water some cant. I can think of one that I only fish when it's raging. Some that I fish when it's a monsoon because I know the mountains are getting snow(not this year)
If we're talking specific watersheds It would be easier to answer.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 10:07:16 PM »

there's no hard and fast rules. It varies with the river. it varies with the time of year. It varies with the amount of rain that has occurred in the last last few days to few weeks. It varies with the freezing altitude and it varies with the snow level. Basically my rule of thumb is if the day before it was too miserable to be out expect the current day to be a challenge re: water clarity and level. For all other factors expect higher more coloured water over a more extended period of time.

I watch the hydrometric levels, record them in a fishing journal and refer back before deciding when to go out.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:51:35 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.