Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: busted uglystick  (Read 1732 times)

mr.bean

busted uglystick
« on: February 09, 2015, 05:27:52 PM »

hey guys, went sturgeon fishing today. I hooked into a really big one. never saw him, but I managed to break my 12 foot extra heavy duty ugly stick. I was fishing at the end of a dock. the dock is suspended by a bunch steel cables  plus there are a few pilings  and posts  under the dock. I got him close to the dock, then he took a run and was trying to get under the dock. now as far as I was concerned ,  I only had 2 choices. loosen my drag and let him go a bit ,  so he wouldn't break my rod, or tighten my drag which is 40  max to stand my ground, so he wouldn't  get any further into the steel cables and debris under the dock. I decided to stand my  ground and was trying to keep him away from getting any further under the dock. was holding my rod with both hands, but the fish was to strong, my rod snapped, lost the fish. question, is there anything else I could have done ?

barklee

Re: busted uglystick
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 02:59:36 PM »

Shouldn't be fishing for sturgeon off raised dock. Sturgeon is catch and release you would have to throw the fish off the dock.

When the fish comes close to you it's supposed to be tired not much thrashing. You should have let it go out further before reeling in use the drag to tire it out.

You might move off dock onto shore. Have 2 people one to hold rod other to climb down dock. When I fish off new west Boardwalk I use a net that lowers into water pull fish into net raise then if you have too the same net with rope on centre to lower fish and make net inside out to release fish. But with sturgeon scales it is difficult.

If you have to cut your line this will be better the hooks will dissolve.

mr.bean

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 07:25:09 PM »

it wasn't a raised dock.it sits right on the water. goes up and down with the tide.  the fish never leaves the water, I just bend down and remove the hook and the fish is on its way. he was tired out, didn't move much, then got a second wind, don't know, was heading straight down under the dock. caught many fish there with no problems, accept this time. it was a big fish, should have cut my line I guess, to save my rod.

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 08:17:45 PM »

Shouldn't be fishing for sturgeon off raised dock. Sturgeon is catch and release you would have to throw the fish off the dock.

When the fish comes close to you it's supposed to be tired not much thrashing. You should have let it go out further before reeling in use the drag to tire it out.

You might move off dock onto shore. Have 2 people one to hold rod other to climb down dock. When I fish off new west Boardwalk I use a net that lowers into water pull fish into net raise then if you have too the same net with rope on centre to lower fish and make net inside out to release fish. But with sturgeon scales it is difficult.

If you have to cut your line this will be better the hooks will dissolve.

Dissolve? Don't think a 5/0 + gammi is dissolving anytime soon lol