Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 7mm Mag: A good all around rifle?  (Read 18312 times)

Electroman

Re: 7mm Mag: A good all around rifle?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 09:21:30 AM »

You'll be happy with a 7mm

ajransom

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 09:02:22 PM »

I was in a similar boat and was tossing up between a 7mm, a 270, and a 30-06. Given lots of research and wanting something that will cover all bases in BC from deer to moose, I ended up going with a 30-06.

Silex-user

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 10:49:05 PM »

Ever try looking at 270SWM? I have one and it is a Sako 75 SS  it very flat shooting and it loves Barnes TSX 130gr. bullet. Got lots of Big Games with it from Black bears, Sitka blacktails, Columbia Blacktails, White tails and mulies. Never got moose yet......no luck in LEH draw. It is one my favorite rifle beside my 243win.

Silex-user

gmachine19

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 02:41:15 PM »

With my PAL/RPAL taking forever (6 mos. wait this coming aug 11) I decided to buy an excalibur 405 crossbow. I did get lucky with a group hunt for a bull moose on November. Got a 338 waiting for me come November. Also getting 20 boxes of free 300 wsm ammo so I think I'll buy a 300 wsm too lol!
You should've been here yesterday!

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 08:55:12 PM »

338 eh? That's a helluva first gun. Don't  become a flincher.  I hope you're not planning on deer hunting with that. I mean, you can of course if you don't mind ground meat!

gmachine19

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 08:25:59 PM »

Already had a chance to shoot 2 boxes on it. It does make you flinch at first but i got used to it. Also put a limbsaver on it which pretty much eliminated the recoil for me. And no I won't be shooting any deer with that lol! I'll use my xbow for deer.
You should've been here yesterday!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 08:57:17 PM »

Nothing wrong with a 338 Win Mag for deer. You just make sure you don't hit a shoulder. I had a Sako in 338 mag with the muzzle break. I took a few deer with mine - never a problem or concern but I was always sure to only take headshots. I always took clean headshots and if I didn't feel comfortable with the shot, I never took it and would work my way in closer. Mind you I didn't hunt in areas with more than 250 yards of open space. Most of my deer kill shots were inside 50 yards so it never really mattered to me what rifle I carried.

Now that you've shot a few boxes, you'll know your rifle well and will never feel under or even over gunned for deer and larger game.

I sure miss hunting - it just doesn't seem practical to me to hunt while living here in Abbotsford now so I've stopped hunting completely.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 07:09:29 AM »

Head shots are bad idea. It is too much risk to aim such a small target. Ask any experienced hunter. I had seen( not my bullet) maimed deer with destroyed lower jaw. It is slow and painful death for the animal. If anything ,lower neck shot is much bigger target with huge arteries for a super fast bleed out and meat saving, but can not go wrong with proper boiler room shot.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 08:12:08 AM »

Head shots are bad idea. It is too much risk to aim such a small target. Ask any experienced hunter. I had seen( not my bullet) maimed deer with destroyed lower jaw. It is slow and painful death for the animal. If anything ,lower neck shot is much bigger target with huge arteries for a super fast bleed out and meat saving, but can not go wrong with proper boiler room shot.

Good advice - this is not a pissing contest. Skill, competency, conditions, shot angle and experience are some, but not all, decisions in the selection of shot placement. Every shot taken must be carefully considered for the most humane and efficient kill shot. If the shot is not right - you don't take it. You have to know your equipment and above all, respect your capabilities. I always did and it was never a question or concern for me.

So what was the calibre selected and how did you make out this season.