Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing in Nelson  (Read 7403 times)

awyisss

Fishing in Nelson
« on: February 05, 2015, 12:57:59 PM »

Hey guys so next week I'll be heading to Nelson to do some snowboarding and visit a friend. However with the forecast for snow not looking so great I figure I'll bring some fishing gear and try to wet a line.

Wondering if anyone familiar with the area has any advice as far as what I should bring, techniques and where a good starting point might be. I'll be within a ten minute walk to the big orange bridge over kootenay Lake. I'd also like to possibly fish the slocan River if I can convince my buddy to drive there lol.

I plan to bring two spinning rods, a 4wt flyrod (that I'm not very confident fishing) and a centerpin. I figure I could chuck spoons n spinners by the lake and float single eggs at the river. Any suggestions would b helpful.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:34:56 PM by awyisss »

Lyall

Re: Fishing in Nelson
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 08:45:02 PM »

Sounds like you're prepared. I haven't fished around there personally, but if you go exploring armed with a spinning rod and assortment of spoons, you'll soon find out if there are fish around! Good luck.

Animal Chin

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 09:01:16 PM »

Whitewater is da bomb. Not sure if you've been up there before, but I was up there with no new snow and it was still good compared to locally. Do the backside in the morning and the other side in the afternoon for some cruisers.

As for fishing, sorry no help with Nelson. However, I have caught walleye on the Columbia in Castlegar (half hour away), but that was in the summer. Not sure what winter fishing is like. If you ride Red Mountain, it's on the way.

Not exactly pristine river fishing but best I can do.

Go to google maps and follow the Columbia towards the border (near Trail). Follow that highway to border, cross the bridge and with the border 100 yards away pull over, head down the rocks and start casting with a spinning rod. It's pretty self explanatory once you're there. I had luck with 1/4 jigs and a curly tail.

FishnForFun

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 10:37:05 PM »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 09:25:36 AM »

I've fished the Slocan River a couple of times many years ago but that was in late summer or early fall. The river can be thought of as two halves. The 1st half from Slocan Lake on down is slow with a silt or mud bottom for the most part and doesn't offer much fishing opportunity, at least for newcomers. The lower half is more classic and reminds me of rivers in Montana etc. It's large. Trout were small the largest I got was 14 inches or so though the river was once said to produce much larger fish. There's been on going issues with summer water temperatures and some poaching.  I fished large areas of apparently empty water and would then find a bunch of trout and catch a good number. Judging by casings I saw on the rocks, the river has or had a good population of large stoneflies.  Access was a challenge at the time. The banks and bars made of large rounded cobbles that might be challenging in winter. I advise you wear cleats or studs on your boot soles.

I've also fished the lake many years back. My wife's family had a business and home right on the main lake shore from the 70s to early 90s. Winter could be good trolling for large rainbow and bulls. Used to be possible to rent boats from Balfour Resort at Balfour Narrows and fish out in the main lake. Back then I trolled plugs and spoons right on the surface about 150 or more feet behind the boat. The biggest I ever caught was just under 23lbs. These days planar boards are used. Consider hiring a guide.

It might be possible to fish the West Arm off the shore at the various narrows for whitefish and possibly trout.

A lot these waters have specific regulations so examine the synopsis carefully.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

awyisss

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 10:59:37 AM »

Whitewater is da bomb. Not sure if you've been up there before, but I was up there with no new snow and it was still good compared to locally. Do the backside in the morning and the other side in the afternoon for some cruisers.

As for fishing, sorry no help with Nelson. However, I have caught walleye on the Columbia in Castlegar (half hour away), but that was in the summer. Not sure what winter fishing is like. If you ride Red Mountain, it's on the way.

Not exactly pristine river fishing but best I can do.

Go to google maps and follow the Columbia towards the border (near Trail). Follow that highway to border, cross the bridge and with the border 100 yards away pull over, head down the rocks and start casting with a spinning rod. It's pretty self explanatory once you're there. I had luck with 1/4 jigs and a curly tail.
Thanks Animal Chin, I'll be going to both resorts so I'll definitely put the columbia on the list of things to check out. This will be my first time out to the kootenays so its good to hear that the riding will still be good without any new snow. It did dump 30cm overnight from what I heard though  ;D

I've fished the Slocan River a couple of times many years ago but that was in late summer or early fall. The river can be thought of as two halves. The 1st half from Slocan Lake on down is slow with a silt or mud bottom for the most part and doesn't offer much fishing opportunity, at least for newcomers. The lower half is more classic and reminds me of rivers in Montana etc. It's large. Trout were small the largest I got was 14 inches or so though the river was once said to produce much larger fish. There's been on going issues with summer water temperatures and some poaching.  I fished large areas of apparently empty water and would then find a bunch of trout and catch a good number. Judging by casings I saw on the rocks, the river has or had a good population of large stoneflies.  Access was a challenge at the time. The banks and bars made of large rounded cobbles that might be challenging in winter. I advise you wear cleats or studs on your boot soles.

I've also fished the lake many years back. My wife's family had a business and home right on the main lake shore from the 70s to early 90s. Winter could be good trolling for large rainbow and bulls. Used to be possible to rent boats from Balfour Resort at Balfour Narrows and fish out in the main lake. Back then I trolled plugs and spoons right on the surface about 150 or more feet behind the boat. The biggest I ever caught was just under 23lbs. These days planar boards are used. Consider hiring a guide.

It might be possible to fish the West Arm off the shore at the various narrows for whitefish and possibly trout.

A lot these waters have specific regulations so examine the synopsis carefully.
Thanks RalphH, I'll definitely put some studs on my boots before I head out to that lower half. I doubt I'll be able to rent a boat or hire a guide, atleast this time around, but i'll likely be back early summer so i'll put it into consideration for that trip. On the bright side, i'll be walking distance to the west arm so I'll scout for some of the narrows out that ways.

Animal Chin

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 02:34:21 PM »

Thanks Animal Chin, I'll be going to both resorts so I'll definitely put the columbia on the list of things to check out. This will be my first time out to the kootenays so its good to hear that the riding will still be good without any new snow. It did dump 30cm overnight from what I heard though  ;D

You lucky dog.

30 cm, maybe I should head up there. Their snow is bone dry, so everything is accessible, even without new snow. Tracks don't get grooved. Whitewater's backside use to require hitchhiking back to the lifts but 5 years ago they built a lift ... but no runs, left it as is. It's all trees! and steep so no flats.

Right hand side chairlift in the morning, left in the afternoon when your legs are burnt (duck the ropes on the ride out and follow run off trail).

When you head to Red, you're going to go through Trail. Turn right and it's up the hill to Red. Turn left and basically follow to end and it's that spot I was talking about on the Columbia. Can't miss it. It's like 15-20 min from the turn.

Have fun.

BTW: If you catch any walleye, or pickerel as we call them, keep a couple to eat...actually bring 'em home. They're superb fish for eating, white and flaky and sweet. Try the panfried (meuniere) recipe I posted in kitchen section.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 02:40:53 PM by Animal Chin »