Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another assault on the Chilliwack River Valley  (Read 11859 times)

ajransom

Re: Another assault on the Chilliwack River Valley
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 12:52:30 PM »

Disgusting... Need to get the MP's involved!

Stewie

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 12:58:12 PM »

Someone should talk to the city or local contractors to see who has been doing abatement work in the area. Removing this amount of asbestos requires some sort of paper trail, judging by the bags, it was done by a professional company.. There has to be some sort of paper/ permit trail. These people need to be severely punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Electroman

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 01:39:22 PM »

Someone should talk to the city or local contractors to see who has been doing abatement work in the area. Removing this amount of asbestos requires some sort of paper trail, judging by the bags, it was done by a professional company.. There has to be some sort of paper/ permit trail. These people need to be severely punished to the fullest extent of the law.

They need to file an N.O.P. (Notice Of Project) with Worksafe prior to starting an abatement project.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 02:09:01 PM »

They need to file an N.O.P. (Notice Of Project) with Worksafe prior to starting an abatement project.

Sure they "need" to but doesn't mean they did. 

This stuff is probably dumped at 3am on a weekday.  No extra conservation officer could catch this.

If I had some extra cash I would be sticking up quite a few wildlife cams in my favorite areas that get stuff dumped.

The mountain bikers did it to catch an old lady sabotaging their trails in North Vancouver and it she was all over the news.  Imagine how media would pick up on this.  It would be quite a powerful statement to catch someone I believe.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 03:55:01 PM »

This stuff is probably dumped at 3am on a weekday.  No extra conservation officer could catch this.

If I had some extra cash I would be sticking up quite a few wildlife cams in my favorite areas that get stuff dumped.

The mountain bikers did it to catch an old lady sabotaging their trails in North Vancouver and it she was all over the news.  Imagine how media would pick up on this.  It would be quite a powerful statement to catch someone I believe.

More COs, hefty fines and surveillance cameras are all good ideas but you gotta think about the motives that pushed this idiot to drive that far up in the middle of the night. If you think about the gas $$, danger of driving on an icy road PLUS the risk of being caught you only get to 1 answer: It's either not cheap enough or it's just too much work to dump the bags at a waste yard. I agree with other posters, it should be easy to track this project in Chilliwack and see which contractor is using a tandem axle truck.

243Pete

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 07:30:33 PM »

Sadly this is quite true, 3am or even at some late time in the evening these people will go around and dump something. I've seen people dumping their garbage in places like downtown at 2am (I'm a late night delivery guy) and a guy just chucks 2 large black garbage bags of who knows what into a small side alley and takes off.
Wild life cams work, I've heard of people being caught poaching, trespassing and so forth. So I see this is a viable solution/ deteurrant since it should be made public on what companies and people are doing these things.
What bothers me is the fact that all this hazardous waste was just dropped there without any concern to the public. These kinds of actions should result in some serious jail time and hefty fines.

Does anyone know the regulations reguarding the use of the roads in the area to large commercial vehicles? Such as time restrictions and day light/ sunset regulations/ times of use like 8am to 6pm and ect?

fishallday

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 07:41:05 PM »

oh my this is horrible
life's short stunt it

SilverChaser

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 11:26:36 PM »

Too bad us anglers can't do anything about this. If it was bags filled with plastic for example, i'd have the truck up there so quick doing what I could...
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 07:04:04 AM »

This thread made me think of our first cleanup and when I first met Rodney, I think it was 2001. It was a cleanup organized by Vic Carrao of STS Guiding.

It was then shortly after that we started the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition, now Society. Since then over 100 metric tonnes has been taken off the Chilliwack Vedder River but it is sad to see we still have people abusing this beautiful Chilliwack River Valley.

I just uploaded this clip from one of my old VHS tapes from 2001, most likely a bit boring for most to watch but it is a bit of history to preserve before the tapes fall apart due to age.I have  many more to work on as I have a few hundred. :P ::)

https://youtu.be/w9YEJZlsLkA

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 04:48:26 PM »

A update on this story from the Chilliwack Progress today. http://www.theprogress.com/news/363401941.html

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2015, 10:32:14 AM »

Would this (criminal offence) be the responsibilty of a consevation officer ?, or the RCMP ? .  :-\
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2015, 07:54:50 PM »

With a bit of investigative work it shouldn't/wouldn't be to hard to find those responsible.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2015, 09:09:37 PM »

With a bit of investigative work it shouldn't/wouldn't be to hard to find those responsible.
It should be as 2 articles in the local press and pictures shared and viewed by hundred's of different people.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2015, 02:04:59 PM »

Dumped on land where at least experts can get at it & disposed of it properly.
What about the toxic material that we may never find?
( dumped off a cliff/gully or directly into the Fraser or whatever river. )
All in the name of $$$$ savings.
How do these guys sleep at night.
People everyday are faced to do proper or cheat ( good vs evil )
Guess these guys started out throwing their cig butts on the ground,then their chewing gum,their McDonald's wrappers.....to toxic materials.
Hopely whoever did this is not in charge of pushing the button to launch the nuke missiles...they will really make a mess of things. :o