Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's a good rod for spoon fishing  (Read 11209 times)

Sagefishr

What's a good rod for spoon fishing
« on: January 24, 2015, 11:27:33 AM »

Just wondering what's a good rod for spoon fishing these days?

swimmingwiththefishes

Re: What's a good rod for spoon fishing
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 12:19:21 PM »

The Lamiglas X10mc - Bill Herzog is pretty sweet. The smaller one is perfect for the Vedder.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 12:25:35 PM »

There's a nice Throphy XL spinning rod that is perfect for spoon and jig fishing. The Fenwick rod, forget the rods actual name (think it's "Eagle") that is also good. And both of them are 80-100 bucks.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 02:11:11 PM »

My favourites are:

- TFO STS 962-2, 4-8 pnd (coho/pinks/small summers)
- Trophy XL Coh King TG290C 8-15 pnd (winters/big summers/chum/chinook)

Okuma spinning rods are also nice, and the Lamiglass X11 LX106MLS 6-12 is the next thing on my hit list.

All are relatively cheap rods that get the job done. I'm a fan of really fast action light rods that will bend to the butt section. It seems most rods around here are far from being "noodly." The ones listed above are what I prefer for feel and weight, as well as length and weight classes.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 05:58:59 PM »

I use a Sage CT290 with a Luna when I feel like using a levelwind reel. If I feel like using a spinning rod I use a Shimano Clarus 8'6" medium light with a Shimano Sahara 4000.

riptide

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 06:12:34 PM »

Also use a Trophy XL TG290C paired with a Penn Fierce 4000 , decent combo for the price .
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that

Sagefishr

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 10:28:37 PM »

Thanks for the input guys.  I was leaning on getting a lamiglas bill Herzog spoon edition 10' 8-17# as one of my friends has the lighter version 8-12# but I'm not sure if it has the back bone for big fish.
Would having a bit of a shorter rod benefit for swinging spoons? Like a 9' or 9'6" ?

Sagefishr

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 11:55:01 PM »

Has anyone used a G Loomis str1263 gl3 rod for spoon fishing?

Lyall

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 11:56:53 PM »

Good thread. I bought a 9'6 8-12lb Shimano Convergence paired with a Penn fierce 3000. After testing it out...and hooking 20-30 summer runs...I conclude that IMO it's a bit too light for steelhead. I had that rod bent right into the cork and felt undergunned. Perfect coho rod though. Anyway I upgraded to the fenwick 9'6 10-20lb, great rod - nice stiff butt section, I recommend it, think it was about $115 at Freds. 9'6 is a nice length
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:12:56 PM by Lyall »

VA7DDP

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 12:59:11 AM »

1. Trophy XL Coho Killer
2. Fenwick Eagle or HMX
3. Shimano Clarus

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 07:52:42 AM »

My favourites are:

- TFO STS 962-2, 4-8 pnd (coho/pinks/small summers)
- Trophy XL Coh King TG290C 8-15 pnd (winters/big summers/chum/chinook)

Okuma spinning rods are also nice, and the Lamiglass X11 LX106MLS 6-12 is the next thing on my hit list.

All are relatively cheap rods that get the job done. I'm a fan of really fast action light rods that will bend to the butt section. It seems most rods around here are far from being "noodly." The ones listed above are what I prefer for feel and weight, as well as length and weight classes.

I love the trophy XL coho king. It's a great uber flexible rod, the reel seat is really cheap though, creeks and whines a big.

DRP79

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 08:30:48 AM »

I have a HMXS 90M-2-M 9ft 10-20lb line paired with a Pflueger Trion GX-7. It has served me well, Ive caught Coho, Chum, Steelhead and bull trout on it. Combo was about $175 @ Searun.

VA7DDP

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 08:57:09 AM »

With the Fenwick Eagle and HMX the blanks feel identical, but the HMX has a nicer reel seat, and higher quality guides in comparison.

The Trophy XL lineup was created by one of our distributors Redl Sports, I do agree they skimped out on the reel seat, the seat is identical to Shimano's $20-50 rods.

If your looking for really well built rods on a budget, I would suggest you check out Temple Forks Rods, not sure who is still a seller locally.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:03:49 AM by VA7DDP »

Trophy Tackle

• Trophy Tackle
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 02:48:14 PM »

I highly recommend both the Lamiglas X10 MC and X10MTC.  I went through a bunch of rods when I got into spoon fishing and these were by far my favorite.  The 8-12 is under powered for larger fish and/or heavier water.  It will land big fish but it takes a lot longer than necessary.  It just doesn't have the power to turn the bigger fish out of current.  The 8-17 is a magnum taper blank.  Lots of backbone and can seem a bit meaty at first.  But it is lightweight and sensitive with a good bend and fight even on smaller fish.  Both rods have excellent tip sections for spoon fishing.  Very sensitive and transfer the spoon action well so you can feel every thump of the spoon or bump on bottom.  Another option from Lamiglas is their Stealth SI series.  Although a little more pricey, they are extremely lightweight and probably the most sensitive rod I've ever used.  I had the chance to fight my first steelhead on mine last week and it was like being hooked onto a jackhammer.

I should also mention the Berkley Air IM8 rods.  Those 9'6 8-14# are great.  That would be my second choice following the Lamiglas rods.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 01:15:01 PM »

A lot of my hardware fishing is done on smaller systems ie chehalis vs vedder so I like smaller rods due to the bush whacking, confined space, etc.  As well, unless you want to put a bobber on the rod, extra length isnt neccesary for line management.  So first question - will you fish a baitcast or spinning reel?  Having a long rod with a bait caster may be good incase you want to put on a float. 

If this rod is a dedicated spinner and you will huck 1/4 oz lures, then a shorter spinner is propably better.  BTW I find 3/8s easy to cast with a baitcaster but 1/4 is much trickier to cast.

That said I built a sage 286 spin and sage 290 bait cast...both are awesome rods. 

PS - I was casting 3/8 jigs with a sage 3106 and the rod seemed to "wobble" a lot after the cast and take some time for the tip to settle down.  I think a shorter rod would settle faster.