Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Throwback Thursday Photo  (Read 3677 times)

swimmingwiththefishes

Re: Throwback Thursday Photo
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 10:10:26 PM »

Nice. He was up there. Commanded my Grandpa in Italy.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 10:39:30 AM »

Very cool ;D

Crerar wasn't very highly regarded by Monty, or I don't think Guy Simmons for that matter either. However, he served his country well.

It brings a smile to my face to think of the ghosts of history that have walked and stalked the same river rock as I.

This is Crerar's final message to the First Canadian Army:
'Here's wishing you a satisfactory and speedy journey home, and that you find happiness at the end of it. You go back with your share of the magnificent reputation earned by the Canadians in every operation in which they have participated in this war. A fine reputation is a possession beyond price. Maintain it – for the sake of all of us, past and present – in the days ahead. I know that you will get a great welcome on your return. See to it that those Canadian units and drafts which follow after you get just as good a 'welcome home' when they also get back. Good luck to each one of you – and thanks for everything. (H.D.G. Crerar) General'

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 09:53:03 AM »

Having referred to this post recently, I was curious about the story of the other gentleman in the picture. I read the caption more closely . Did VC really mean "Victoria Cross"?

Turns out it does. C.N Mitchelll received the VC in WW1. In  the latter part of the war, he commanded of the Royal School of Military Engineering in Chilliwack.

A decorated war veteran taking his boss fishing on the river than runs behind where he works.

History is cool.