Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lowe 1440M or 1448M  (Read 18862 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Lowe 1440M or 1448M
« on: January 20, 2015, 09:20:18 PM »

I'm planning to buy a new lake boat in the spring. After some online reasearch and a discussion related to this topic on this site last year I have decided I want to buy a 14 foot Lowe modified V john boat. Why a 14 footer? Well, we currently have a 12 foot v-hull and at times we find it a tad cramped for space, the 14s are, of course, longer, and also wider. In addition, we find our v-hull tippy with 2 people trying to anchor and stand + fly fish. It's not too bad for the person in the back but for the front occupant it sucks! We have tested some newer/beefier 12 footers (Lunds, etc) and they are definitley more stable than ours, bit still too tippy.

Based on my research, talking to guys on lakes, looking what other fly fishermen use, I think one of these modified V Lowe boats would be the way to go. Also, I did consider a "true" fly fishing boat like a Spratley, however I have heard they can be pretty brutal to troll in with a bit of chop on the water. We fly cast about 60% of the time, the rest we like to troll around with gear, or even slow troll a fly from time to time. I like the modified version of the john boat as it is designed to cut waves better and be more suitable for trolling stand the standard flat bottom hull.

Other points worth noting:

-The main motor will be a 5hp 4 stroke. The motor will need to come off the boat from time to time (some lakes are electric only, on rough/dusty roads I like to take off and put in vehicle, etc) so whatver boat I get this 5hp will need to suffice! Upgrading to something bigger/heavier is just not an option. I suppouse I could buy and older/lighter 2 stroke with more hp, however the 5hp is brand new (2014) and I love it and don't want to sell it! :o

-I realize I'm not going to be going "fast" in either boat, but im worried in the 1448 the boat will be a total barge. I have heard one person say that they will go pretty much the SAME speed.

-In addition to the main motor we also usually have our electric onboard for putting around in stealth mode. Main motor is just used for "zooming" from spot to spot, etc.

-I am leaning towards the 1440, however many people have told me GO WIDER -WIDER IS ALWAYS BETTER. I do also like the 1448 "floor plan" better.

-The boat will be trailered, no lifting required.

-Typically the boat will have 2 adults (wife and I) plus 2 small dogs.

Any thoughts/advice ya'll can give on 1440M vs. 1448M would be awesome :)

http://www.loweboats.com/jon-boats/L1440M-Jon/

http://www.loweboats.com/jon-boats/L1448M-Jon/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:22:33 PM by Spawn Sack »

glx

• I'm a llama!
Re: Lowe 1440M or 1448M
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 03:56:39 AM »

I have the 1448 and love it.  I run a 25 4 stoke jet on it.  Works great for larger lakes as well as getting around the local rivers.  Very versatile boat!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:01:28 AM by glx »

buckjr

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 07:43:07 AM »

You've heard right. Go with the wider option if it fits in the budget. The extra width in a boat makes a HUGE difference in interiror space and typically will give your more stability. There are not very many negatives with a wider option.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 08:19:26 AM »

I've had both Lowe M-hull boats in the 14' and since you will be trailering and not lifting into or onto a truck or rack, the 1448 is hands down the way to go.

The stability difference between the two is far too great to ignore and you will forever be kicking yourself if you didn't take the 1448 over the 1440.

I would most certainly get another 1448M again without question. I would not get another 1440M even if a smoking deal came along. That's my opinion.

I used my boats primarily for lake fishing very much identical to what you plan to do with yours. I also used them a lot in the rivers and the 1448 beats the 1440 for all my needs except when it came to rowing - but that was only because the seat to oar locks location was better on the 1440. For a two person flyfishing/lake boat it is going to be hard to beat the 1448M.

The Spratley is a better rowing boat and more practical as a single man boat. Comfort wise though, the 1448M is king.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 09:16:55 AM »

I'm in the market for a new boat also and have been doing a lot of research. The 1440 and 1448 are both boats I have been looking at.

One thing I came up with in my research is that the 1440 is light enough some people were able to get it onto the back of their truck to get it into the 4x4 only lakes. That won't happen with a 1448. Well maybe you could but it weighs in at 260lbs so I don't imagine it would be something you'd want to do all that often.

Another thing to consider are the roads you are driving. Trailering a rivet boat for extended periods of time over gravel roads is a guaranteed way to get leaks.

I've heard a lot of people complain about boats being tippy, calling 1236s death traps etc. I never really got that... I've fished 2 adults out of a 1232, now that is a tippy boat! I suppose YMMV, but I would suspect that a boat with a 40" beam would be plenty stable for me and the people I fish with.

I'm surprised you are able to get away with a 5Hp 4 stroke. I was running a 7.5Hp 2 stroke on my 12 footer, which was good enough get the boat up on plane with just me in it (I weight 205lbs) but was under powered to get the boat up on plane with two people. I recently purchased a 15Hp 2 stroke to rectify this issue.  ;) The boat absolutely flies with the new motor even when fully loaded, plus the motor is light enough I have no issue hand bombing it on and off the boat.

Actions speak louder than words.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 10:54:57 AM »

The 5hp is not going to get either boat on plane even with one person - but its also not going to dig under the boat either so the bow is not going to climb high like it would with a 8hp. An 9.9 2-stroke would be a better and max rated hp is best in my opinion but that 5 is going to be faster than electric and it's going to troll nice until the wind picks up and then you'll anchor or get off the water or just not go cross wind. The 5's not going to do it in a river either. But if you're taking the motor off when trailering - I certainly wouldn't want to keep humping a 10hp or bigger motor on and off the boat either.

Sterling - you are correct about the 1440 being able to go into the back of the truck - it will just fit between the wheel wells on the newer full size GM's - but it's hard work still even with two strong guys. After a day of fishing an old tired back doesn't feel like heavy lifting. Spawn states that he is going to trailer his boat so lifting or truck bed width is not an issue.

Two people and two little dogs tells me the bigger and more stable boat is going to be more comfortable especially when you stand to cast and someone moves around and rocks the boat. The 1440 rocks a lot more than the 1448.

kanuckle head

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 07:10:41 PM »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 05:51:14 PM »

Go wider and be happy..

I don't think your speed will be different in either case.  You will probably be at 'hull speed' with either boat.

Then get a 9.9 or bigger and be happier.

Tenz85

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 07:06:19 PM »

One on CL if anyone's interested

http://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/boa/4857797786.html
Is the 20hp jet under powered for the Fraser?
I suppose it would depend on the load, tides, and how fast you wan to go.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:05:15 PM by Tenz85 »

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 10:21:11 AM »

For two people it's fine, for 3 it's not so good

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 10:19:04 AM »

Awesome thanks for all the tips guys! It' nice to hear from some people who have actually owned one or both of these boats.

Well, based on what I'm hearing it sound like the 1448M is the way to go. The one on Craig's List looks nice but not what I'm looking for. It's a heavier duty "skookum" looking boat, maybe similar to the G3 series of Lowe boats. I'm not sure what this boat weighs, but I'm guessing it's a lot more than the riveted one's I'm looking at in the 200lb range.

I didn't mention in my initial posting that right NOW we plan to trailer the boat, taking the 5hp on and off depending on the terrain we are driving on, and if the lake is electric only then obviosly it needs to come off. However down the road the plan is to sell of of our vehicles (car) and buy a truck with a boat loader (easy loader). then when we go off road the boat can go on the roof. I'm assuming the 1448M willfit on a boat loader? I'll have to check on 4boys website.

A few other comments:

Sterling C: Yeah man our boat goes fine with the 5HP. It's a light older Sears boat - it's sweet! But too tippy for fly fishing and a bit cramped for space. It zips along fine with 2 adults + electric motor and battery + gear. Now we do primarily fish smaller interior lakes and when we do hit a big lake like Sheridan we don't venture crazy far from where we launched.

I would love to slap a 20Hp or whatver on the new boat but since the motor will come off/on a lot (esp when we get the truck + boat loader) but it would just be too heavy. Yeah I could go with a lighter 2stroke but the new 5hp 4 stroke is such a quite little gem I plan to keep it for a long time.

If anyone sees a 1448M for sale please let me know! I try to check CL, Kijiji, etc often but sometimes I'm too busy and a week or more goes by and I'm not on the computer. Seems like there are not too many out there. In fact, I have yet to see a 1448M for sale at all! :o

Oh one other thought...when I was at the boat show the other day I was taking to the guy with the Lowe boats, and he suggested putting down some 1/2 inch plywwod with outdoor carpet on it as a modified "floor" for standing and fly fishing. Has anyone done this? Seems you would be higher up in the boat, but walking on a nice flat surface.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Now just gotta try and hunt dowm a used one of these!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 09:59:38 AM »

I didn't mention in my initial posting that right NOW we plan to trailer the boat, taking the 5hp on and off depending on the terrain we are driving on, and if the lake is electric only then obviosly it needs to come off. However down the road the plan is to sell of of our vehicles (car) and buy a truck with a boat loader (easy loader). then when we go off road the boat can go on the roof. I'm assuming the 1448M willfit on a boat loader? I'll have to check on 4boys website.

That's more what I meant when I said you can't get them up on top of your vehicle. I'm sure it would be easy to have a roof rack/loader custom made to accommodate the dimensions, but the weight would be the main issue. At the lighter end of the spectrum the Lowe's weigh in at 260, the Alumicrafts are 285. G3 makes a 1448 that weighs 233 but it doesn't come in the MV.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 12:00:05 PM »

I know the 1448M riveted john is 260lb, but I can't find a G3 1448 that weighs 233lb. Could you please post a link?

Found this one that weighs 440lb. I like the open floor design a LOT more than the riveted Lowes, but I think would weigh way too much for the 5hp motor I'm going to be using. Plus I'm sure the price is well over what I want to spend on a lake boat.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 12:04:32 PM »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 01:39:56 PM »

Thanks! Don't know why I couldn't find that when I was cruising this site :o This boat looks nice, I'm not really sure what the diff is between the G3 riveted 1448 and the L1448. Floor plan looks more or less the same. I'm guesing the G3 is more expensive.

http://www.loweboats.com/jon-boats/L1448-Jon/

For my purposes the L1448M seems like the way to go.